low gear ratio

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by badbird, Oct 9, 2009.

1. badbird

badbird New Member

As above for a NHRA legal blown pro mod,
    shooting for low 6.0 passes
    hat to pan ERD brad 6 /PSI Roots with down nozzels
    4,56 rear
    2700lbs
    CS2 tranny
    3 disc 11" leanders clutch

Any opinions guys, the car is way too agressive with the 2.04 i fitted some fuel tyres as a quick fix and this calmed it down a bit, i know some guys here run as low as 1.92 and still run sub 4 sec 1/8 mile times and 6.0s
    anyone have any experience with this??

apreciate any answers

Graham

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  2. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

1.98-1.92 is probably the ballpark you should be in, then you have to adjust your clutch and launch RPM to get you close to the peak power and keep the motor climbing as your wheel speed is coming up. You may even find that with a 4.56 rear, you can get away with something even taller than a 1.92 and still fly.

The 2.04 lets the clutch lockup too quick which usually translates to middle to top of 1st gear shake no matter what you do with the clutch. The taller 1st gear ratios are why you generally don't see Pro Mods hitting 60-ft. times that would seem equal to the E.T.'s they run. With a 3-disc 11", you've got PLENTY of clutch to handle a tall 1st and probably too much to go with anything over a 1.98.

3. badbird

badbird New Member

Thanks for that, I was using an AFT 2 disc this year with the 2.04, we are allowed a 3 disc next year and as the leanders clutch is produced in europe and in use in both legal and outlaw pro mod in the states ( Tutterow, D'Aprille, Personett,) with good results it would be silly not to use it so i have one in the garage ready to be fitted,

With the ratios i have available i have a choice of 1.94 and 1.90 now
    which i diddnt have this year, this stuff takes some learning, thanks

Any other views??

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Believe me a 1.90 will not work. You will have problems with tire shake. The 1.94 will be better but if it was me I would keep the 2.04 or a 2.10 first gear and use a launch retard to calm it down. I would also get rid of the fuel tires and put some Hoosier 34" tires on it and keep the 4.56 rear. This is a proven combination that will get you into the very low sixes.

5. badbird

badbird New Member

yeah the fuel tyres were a temp thing to get some more gear into the thing,
    i have no intention of running them full time,
    I think a problem we have here in europe that most of you guys dont realize is that even our very best track in the whole of europe ia all ashfelt/tarmac or whatever you know it as, We dont have the bite of a concrete startline, so we cant use enough clutch, I i dont beleive anyone in europe is using more than 140 grams total cf if we do it just gives massive wheel speed and locks up the clutch early,
    I know a guy runs a 1.92 and goes 3.96 @660 but does not beleive in reducing power for the launch I guess if you are real smart with a 6 shooter it can be done without hurting ET problem here is laps ...we just dont get that many in a year so learning some of this stuff takes literaly years to get the laps in where as in the US there is more experiance to be drawn from and much more track time,

History has told us that bringing over tuners from the US usualy dont do much good as our tracks are shit and our air is very good with a high oxygen content and over the years many guys have imported hot tuners and been left with junk where there was an engine,

in fact i think Will has done about the best job iv seen with Fred hanson's car
    are alky dragsters easier to tune?? or easier to hook up??

its a real ball ache and im not beating around the bush i dont wanna spend 10 years learning to do something you guys take forgranted,

common guys help me out

thanks

Graham:confused:

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I fully understand the difference in track construction in Europe. I use the launch retard on the cars over there and ramp it carefully back in over time. There does seem to be a very abrupt point at which one looses traction on launch and if you use too much retard and bring it back in too fast you will blow the tyres off again.

7. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

find someone whos matched raced on shit tracks alot they can probley help in getting down those tracks i know a couple of guys i think could run 3.90s on a gravel road and make it look easy i know i was there racing them either at match races are outlaw quick 8s thinking what the hell do they know that i cant seem to figure out that was a long time ago once you learn what they know it really isnt that hard but its finding someone that will tell you without blowing up your stuff i know 2 i trust if they told it was raining and the sun was shinning i would believe them