looks rich, shows lean

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by rb0804, Oct 30, 2010.

1. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

Anyone have any experience with an engine that shows like it is rich but burns lean? By this I mean tell tale signs, no heat on spark plugs, raw fuel shooting out of pipes, low egts, but the engine also beats out (widens) the top rod bearing. Could being too rich cause this, or is leaning it out going to make it worse? Do I have an atomization problem?

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

If the rod clearances were too big or not enough oil pressure might show that. Fuel shooting out the pipes is only seen at idle right? What are the average EGTs at the one second mark and at the end of the run?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  3. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Is this a blower motor?

At what approximate RPM's does it shoot out alky?
    Is it all cylinders that blow raw alky? I had a single plug wire get cut once and it would shoot alky.

How does it perform on the track?

4. suddendebt

suddendebt Blown Altered

umm, could you have to slow or fast of timing and be smashing them like that? I dont know so Im asking that.

5. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

Yes this is a blown application. It shoots alky out of the pipes at stage, feels like its raining. Stage EGT's are in the 3-400 range with the down track egts around 6-800 (depending on the run, all 8 stay pretty tight). The oil has been coming out diluted, and I was thinking that maybe the lack of lubrication from the diluted oil was causing issues, but everyone that I have talked to seems to think that because the top rod bearing is beat out, that it is detonating somewhere, some how. Most (if not all) of the bearings were blackened also (some worse then others).

6. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

Bearings

2 things squeze bearings 1st way to much timing next to much fuel per turn this will usually bend a rod. Did this motor when you tried to fire it tend to kick back?

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

We should also take note of "blackened bearing" That is usually caused by a no load high RPM situation according to Clevite. It might help if we could get good pictures of these smashed and blackened rod bearings. Do you have a data logger on this car and does it record oil pressure during the run?

Tell us a little more about what kind of motor this is and what blower is being used and general info like that.

8. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

bearing

Mike he didn't say a blackened bearing he said a beat bearing.

9. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

Chevy style wedge head, psi d 60lbs boost. timing was set at 25* for all of the runs except the last one, bumped it up to 30*. There was only one run where oil pressure fell off a bit on the big end (down to 65 from 120ish) and that was about 3 runs ago. Changed oil after the run and pressure came back up. Engine has only been over 8400 once (last pass) as it was too rich before to get there before. No kick back while starting. I spoke to the person who previously owned this engine and they ran it with less compression (9:1 as opposed to 10.3:1) and a larger bore. He never had any bearing issues at all which makes me think that it is because of the over rich condition. I will say that the previous owner ran 36* of timing had slightly more nozzle area then I currently do. I will post up some pictures when I get a chance.

10. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

I mentioned both.

11. Alkydrag

Alkydrag Sr. Dragster

I would say the bearings are blackened from the oil being so diluted. I find it hard to believe you have 60lbs of boost with all that fuel.
    As far as everything else is concerned, you need to give more info on the motor.
    1. Clutch car or auto?
    2. How much nozzle area?
    3. Info on the fuel system. What pump size? Do you run a pump loop? Fuel pressure at 8000 RPM?

12. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

clutch car have been leaving between 4500 and 5000 RPM. Total nozzle area is .0528 square in. Waterman fuel pump with the .850 gears. Boost is a realitive figure and were not running as much fuel through the hat as others. No pump loop, 100 psi @ 8,000.

13. Alkydrag

Alkydrag Sr. Dragster

Wow, that's a lot of nozzle area.
    1. Nozzle area is too big. You need to squeeze down the ports to raise your fuel pressure. If you haven't had your system flowed, get it done.
    2. Fuel pressure is too low. It should be at least 150 psi to atomize and burn correctly. Too much fuel, not enough fuel pressure will give you the results you have now. What's happening is the fuel isn't atomizing and is forming droplets. Droplets don't burn. That's the shower you get at stage.
    3. What is your port check set at?
    4. Pump is too big. You need to run a pump loop.
    5. Stage EGT's are fine. Down track EGT's should be upwards of 1100 degrees at the end of the track. Again, this tells me too much fuel.
    6. We run a BBC with a Big Chief head at 36 degrees of timing. Anything under 32 and it's a fat lazy pig.
    7. You should be leaving at 6000 to 6500 rpm.

14. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

I have been low 5.80's at 231 with the current combo. The last run I bumped the timing up to 30* from 25. no other changes, a sliver of aluminum plugged no. 5 dribbler causing that cylinder to go to 1050* on the EGT and burned the piston up. Upon pulling number 5 piston out it was discovered that the bearings were beat out of it and blackened. After checking them all, they were all sqiushed and or blackened (not off of them were blackened).

15. Alkydrag

Alkydrag Sr. Dragster

Is this a doorslammer or dragster?

16. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

it is a dragster

17. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I think Tony Ramos is 100% correct in what he has stated on your fuel and timing setup. The big confusion factors that is leading you astray are the EGTs and "smashed" rod bearings. The EGTs are way high because your timing is so retarded that the mixture is not completely burning by the time the exhaust valve opens and the flame is moving out of the cylinder into the exhaust and giving you a false reading plus you are so rich that you are feeding the flames. Your fuel pressure is so low that you cannot be correctly atomizing the fuel (if the fuel is not atomizing and staying in large droplets and pooling then you have to run super rich to get enough fine droplets to ignite). I am not an expert on BBC heads but for sure you don't need the retarded 25* as what a hemi head needs. It takes a longer time for your fuel to completely burn in those wedge heads so more advance is needed. If you move that timing back to 36* the EGTs will drop. Fix the timing at one spot and then adjust your fuel delivery by first bring the EGTs up then by reading the plugs. The other thing is the bearings and there is something fishy going on there. The question I have in my mind is if the bearing are being damaged by detonation or something else. My guess is the something else especially since you say they are blackened also. You do not blacken bearings from detonation. What I am afraid of is that the bearing problem is going to get worse if you bring the timing and fuel system back in line and get an increase in power and it will appear that the tuneup is doing it and not whatever the real problem is. Like I said earlier it would help us all in evaluating your problem is we could see pictures of both the upper and lower rod bearing shells. Also what do the main bearing look like?

There is a possibility that the motor just has so much fuel in it that the pistons just can't compress it so it is damaging your bearings. I have never seen this myself but I have heard people claim it can happen.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  18. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

Thanks for the reply. I haven't pulled the crank yet to check the mains. I have been busy here with work. I would think that if there was too much fuel in the cylinder and it was hyrolocking that I would see it in pinched rings, not in the bearings. I know where I would like to go with the tuneup, that's not really the question. I feel the same as you Mike, and think that there is something fishy going on with the bearings and I would like to figure out what is going on before proceeding. Again, the guy who ran the engine before did not have any bearing issues, with a similar pump and a similar nozzle area. Running the same MSD 44 amp mag, recently checked. The only thing different from when he had it is the compression is higher and the bore is smaller. I do have to ask, what makes a bearing black? High load? Here is a picture of #8 rod bearings. These were the worst of the bunch. By looking at the damage it looks like it has been like that for some time, not just the last two or three runs. The other thing that I wanted to mention is that the engine is so rich that it wouldn't really RPM it would just 'labor' along at the same RPM, shift it and the RPM would pretty well stay the same the whole way down the track. When I put the 30* of timing in it on the last run, is when the RPMS came actually came up to 8400 before being shifted. Would running too much fuel with that much boost at that low of an RPM be detrimental to the bearings?

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll253/rb0804/dragster/DSCN3258.jpg

19. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Everybody chime in here with their experience. I would say that those bearings got like that from an oiling problem and NOT detonation. The fact that the bottom shell is also messed up is a good indication of an oiling problem. Not that up on your block's oil passages but maybe you are picking off the oil pressure at the top of the block but it is not getting to the rods through the mains. You need to check your main bearings.

You also need to get that fuel system setup correctly? Are you using a low speed lean out that is shut off at shift change or a Roots type High Speed that you turn on right after launch?

20. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

IMO You have an oiling issue