Lenco not going into high gear... race tonight

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by HaulinAzz, Aug 20, 2010.

1. HaulinAzz

HaulinAzz New Member

This is a outlaw 10.5 car, but figured if anyone knows Lenco's it would be you guys :)

Its not CO2, just lever shifted and not going into 3rd. The lever goes in good, feels good, but it never locks up.

I talked to Matt at Lenco yesterday and he is sending me out the lever and scale, but I'm not sure adjustment is going to be enough to cure it.

I drained the oil last night, there was definitely some glitter, not extreme though. We're hoping to run tonight, but I'm not sure... anyone have a gut feel if I can get it to go with adjustment and shims or am I in pull down territory?

2. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

Lenco

If you remove the tower completely fron the section does the shift fork feel loose or do the roller plate still hold it in place? If everything looks good, just turn the adjuster in all the way and see if you can keep the lever from coming back (over adjusted). If you can do that, you should be able to adjust it well enough. If you turn the tower adjuster all the way down and the lever still goes all the way back then your clutch discs are worn out or something is broken.(roller plate etc)

Corey

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  3. badbird

badbird New Member

cs1 or cs2?

4. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

Lenco

Good point, the stuff I said was for a CS1.

Corey

5. HaulinAzz

HaulinAzz New Member

Sorry, should have put that in earlier, its a CS1 with a bruno. Its used, but new to me and I am learning as I go.

6. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

Pull it a part there pretty easy to work on i was scared of them for a long time i got tired of tring to find some one around where i live to help me so i jump in and done it my self there is not that many parts in one clutch pack is fairly simple print out the brake down from lencos site and you can do it hell if can do it any one with some common sence can do it at the track some body that runs a cs1 should have some clutchs and some parts good luck

7. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

I would pull it apart
    check the clutch free play
    could have lost the snap ring on the drum or center hub
    but it needs to come apart
    they really arent the difficult to work on

8. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

Lenco

See Jim now the secrets out ,;):) If you can build and engine (which is much harder) you can tear into a Lenco trans.

Corey

9. Alkydrag

Alkydrag Sr. Dragster

The hardest thing about a lenco is which way the sprag goes. Other than that, they're very simple.

10. NITROBANDIT1

NITROBANDIT1 LOST IN SPACE

11. HaulinAzz

HaulinAzz New Member

Thanks for all the replies, turns out I have a little more time to figure it out... it rained cats and dogs here in st louis and no racing tonight.

Depending upon what I find, would like to get it ready for test and tune Tuesday. Wish I could take it a spin around the block to figure it out, but that wouldn't go over too well with the neighbors :)

12. badbird

badbird New Member

if you lost enough friction material off the clutch pack the fork may not be within its working range this is usualy adjusted with shims within the lenco not enough shim no lock up or very light lock up
    too much shim fork dosnt go deep enough into the trans and the towers are too high and the levers are hard to pull,

if the clutch pack isnt burnt and its within limmits it may be a case of re shiming that module

iv used a lenco of various sorts from big n20 4 speed cs1 6 sec door cars to 3 speed cs2 legal blown pro mod and have in ALL cases found that lenco slip should be totaly eliminated,
    those that advocate some slip in my humble oppinion are asking for trouble,

you have a F***ing great clutch or converter in front of the tranny that is designed to slip,
    so would you realy want your blown alky car working a glorified motorcycle clutch pack

my 2 pence worth..(im in england) ;-)

13. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

Ain't that the truth Dan. Those guys in Lemon Grove have interesting prices, watch for the shipping too. Just to think I used to live there and don't get a good deal? Oh well, that’s business.

14. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Lenco Parts

This thread brings a good thought to mind-How come nobody makes aftermarket parts for Lencos? With their prices doesn't seem like it would be hard to make a few bucks and competition is usually good for the marketplace. Dave Germain

15. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

Why ??

Why?, because some of us oldtimers remember things like the Quartermaster/Garlitsdrive being made with cheap materials and watching a legend hobble for the rest of his life!:(
    Old saying..........you get what you pay for!

Bob Meyer Race Cars / San Diego
    2010 Our 45th Anniversary

16. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

i have to say the guys at lenco have alway treated me good there are very helpfull when i done my cs1 3 speed by my self i must have called them back a ton of times and i said i hate to keep calling and they asured me it wasnt a problem and guided me through it when i called with a question like bob said you get what you pay for

17. HaulinAzz

HaulinAzz New Member

Update: Turns out the clutches are good, nothing really going on inside. Next theory is its blowing through the converter. According to engine rpm I should be trapping at 217 and were clocking 166, something wrong somewhere...

Tranny fluid is clean and smells alright. There is a way to adjust pressure on the Bruno, debating whether to put it together tomorrow and try that or just go ahead and pull the converter out and have it gone through to be sure.