leak down tester

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by fastavenger 588, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

You didn't say what to check them with.

2. eli

eli Banned

I'll have some pictures posted, as soon as I figure out how to make the pixels smaller so they fit on this site.

3. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

check valves

All you need is good regulator and guage and fittings and enough air to open the checks at the pressure you want to set them at. Mike:cool:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  4. 560Jim

560Jim Member

100+ psi

We had the same problem with our dual guage tester and the compressor dropping below 100psi before it cut in. I now have a bottle of dry air with a regulator on it, that we use with the leakdown tester and we also use it in the slicks as they do not change pressure as much when the sun gets on them as they do when filled with atmospheric air.It is cheap to get a bottle refilled or swapped and is available from most gas distributors.
    Jim:)

5. Eric David Bru

Email them to me at ericdavidbru@yahoo.com and I can resize and host them.

EDB

6. Eric David Bru

Forgot to mention, Wizards and Waterman sell poppet testers.

EDB

7. Eric David Bru

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    EDB

8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

So what is the difference with that and a leakdown tester? I can plug in a 0-15 lb gauge on my leakdown tester and have it be the same thing. A normal leakdown tester will read easily within one pound accuracy with a 0-100 lb gauge.

9. eli

eli Banned

Mike, Goggle guage's, read up on how and where they are accurate, if they are accurate in the middle of the top and bottom of the readings, Say a 100 lb. gauge is 1 to 3% accurate between 40 and 60 lb.'s and it falls of before and after those readings wouldn't it make sense to you to have a gauge that is close to what you want to set your poppet's at? Like your poppet for the port nozzle's is set at 10 to 15 lb.s you would want to set them with a 30 lb. gauge, the high speed is set to 55.lb.s to 65.lb.s so you would use a 100 lb. gauge to set it. the pump saver is set between 150. to 175. lb.s ideally you would use a 300 lb. gauge but to be practical a 200 lb. gauge will be close enough you will only be off maybe 10 lbs, so if you set it at160lb.s you will be safe. the leak down tester Like Mike Kosky said is for % not lb.s I know from doing it the wrong way that the leak down tester don't work right,we set the poppet for the port nozzles with the leak down tester to 10 lb.s and we flooded the motor, tested it with the poppet gauge and it was set at 3 lb.s, bottom line you can do what ever you want, I'm just trying to help, no skin off my cahonas. Gene Terenzio Sr. :)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  10. eli

eli Banned

Eric thanks for posting the pictures, Take note, that the poppet tool looks like a hash pipe, Just can't leave the sixty's behind.

11. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

Gene; you are absolutely correct! In talking with any gauge manufacturer, each unit is calibrated at the center of travel. So if you are working a 20 psi valve, use a 50# gauge, don't expect a good reading with a 100# gauge or to match what someone else says they set theirs at. If it's only for your own reference and logbook, then who cares.
    I do however recommend (like Gene shows) a jetholder with a 65-80 jet in it forever that lives in your box. Everytime you open your box, plug it in to check if any mysteries have happened with your leak tester while going down the road, it being dropped, it got loaned out, or whatever those pesky mysteries can be. And for all the people that believe that B.V. leak isn't all that important, my checking devise came to be after 4 burned up motors at the high gear shift, simply because ???, it was 9% lean. But of course this was before data recorders, but it'll certainly teach you about startline heat vs. when it says "I'm done".:eek:

12. Eric David Bru

I don't use my leakdown tester to set poppets as I don't like the idea of the metering orifice between the gauges possibly affecting the pressures.

EDB's Poppet Tester:

[​IMG]

13. eli

eli Banned

Eric where did you get the fitting to hold the poppet to the regulator? is it 1/4 in pipe or some other tread?The one I use is off an old fire bottle.:cool:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  14. Eric David Bru

I don't recall where it came from... :eek:

EDB