Keyed or tie-bar lifters?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Critical Mass, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Member

I have a BBC, Dart Pro-1 heads, 11.3 comp, 110 pump, 14-71 Littlefield blower and buzzard hat (~1800 HP). I'm currently using .842 Morel lifters with a Jesel rockers system. I was thinking of moving up to the .904 lifters.

My question is should go with keyed lifters or stay with the typical tie-bar lifters?

Thanks in advance for any help, Joe

2. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

IMO its a money thing. You are going to have to get the lifter bores bushed to go up to the larger lifter anyways, if you have a good machinist they can install keyed bushings. I went from the small lifter to a .904 Morel on my chevy but went with a standard tie bar setup. The keyed lifters are very expensive, but I don't think they perform better that a good tiebar Morel. I'm sure the keyed lifters are superior to a tie bar but on a 1800-2000hp deal, for the extra cost, not worth it.

Again, all my opinion.

Corey

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  3. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Member

Thanks Corey for your input. I haven't looked into the cost difference yet, but at our last race I saw someone break a tie bar in their motor and it wasn't a pretty sight. On your advice I'll stick to the tie bar lifters.

Would you happen to know the intake and exhaust lifter bore angles in a Dart Big-M block with respect to the head?

Thanks, Joe

4. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

I do all my own engine building but I will confess I don't do the machine work, luckily I have a really good shop that does that for me, so unfortunatly I don't know the angle of the lifters. I just drop stuff off tell them what I want and pick it up when done.:cool:

5. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Member

Thanks Corey for all your help. I'll give Dart a call for the lifter bore angles, I'm sure they will tell me.
    Joe