KB Olds Starter Question

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by fastmudder, May 30, 2009.

1. fastmudder

fastmudder New Member

We are putting together a KB Olds and where the starter would mount there's a Hump in the block because of a transmission bolt pattern hole...

See pic here (hump in red box)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/shedhead/temp/100_1323-2.jpg

At first I thought I could just mill out the starter to go around the hump in the block (which I did) but now I see the starter bolt holes (in the block) are spaced different than the chevy pattern on my MSD starter.... :(

Anyone know the fix?... I assume someone makes an adapter to mount a chevy pattern tilton or MSD starter to the KB bolts holes?.. Do I need to replace the mounting block on the starter?

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  2. Nitro Madness

Nitro Madness Super Comp

Call Ken Black @ Keith Black Racing Engines on Monday - (562) 869-1518 - he should stock the starter adaptors - I beleive they offer left or right side starter adaptors...and it's been a few years since I've had a KB Olds block, but I think the adaptors use the Tilton style starters....we had chassis clearance issues and used a blower starter, but I remember getting the machined aluminum starter block when I ordered the engine block...and if Ken does not have one, I might know of someone that does...hope this helps...

3. Force Fed

Force Fed Member

Hi,
    Flatlander racing sell the starter you need.
    ST1107-17 3HP- Keith Black Oldsmobile $251

Alan

4. fastmudder

fastmudder New Member

Thanks...

I was hoping I could just change the mounting block on the starter I already have..

5. Force Fed

Force Fed Member

You can change the starter block to a kb olds style. They aren't the same as chevy.

Alan

6. fastmudder

fastmudder New Member

Called Flatlander and they said they didn't sell the starters anymore and that the person who does the website hasn't updated it.. :mad:

Called Ken Black and he said they "used to" make the adapters but don't anymore...

Called Tilton and they said "What's a Keith Black Olds?"

Called MSD.. no starter for a KB....

Called CSR... nope

So here we sit with a new motor and no way to start it.. :rolleyes:

Might have to modify what we have to fit the KB Block..

7. Nitro Madness

Nitro Madness Super Comp

The guy that I thought had a spare one has sold it with an engine....so I'm outa leads.....maybe you could find someone on this site that could loan ya one to make a copy...

8. PROMOD63

PROMOD63 Member

I have a starter and would be willing to have a starter head made for you at a machine shop here localy and send it to you i can get you the shop that will make it and you can call and discuss price