Just installed Crank Trigger, no fire.

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by isracing, May 8, 2011.

1. Scouder

Scouder New Member

I just put one of Spuds new switch boxes on my car that lets me switch between the mag and crank trigger using a switch on the dashboard. I set the mag about 5 degrees retarded from the crank trigger to make it easier to start, then switch once it's running. Works great.

-Brian

2. isracing

isracing New Member

ok... checked phasing, everything OK
    spark plug to coil, got spark on mag and thru 7730 w/ mag
    spark plug on coil w/ trigger to coil, no dice
    spark plug on coil w/ trigger to 7730 no dice
    closed gap on trigger to like .020 with fully chatged battery and charger on, no spark on trigger

must be a trigger issue.

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Yes it is a trigger issue. Need to call Dave Leahy since it is his.

The only other test you could try is to remove ALL the sparkplugs so the motor spins over faster then test for a spark on the coil wire with the crank trigger connected up. If you have spark then you are just not spinning the motor fast enough and the trigger is OK. In that case you could install the Leahy or MSD bypass switch for starting rather than mess with the starter or batteries.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  4. GTPerf

GTPerf Member

I called Dave about mine he told me they do not phase at the same point with a timing box as you would think he said the timing box needs about 5 deg so they will fire at the same time or it will not run Call dave and your troubles are over

5. isracing

isracing New Member

Called Dave, he said crank speed is more than likely the issue, suggested removing spark plugs and or blower belt to test it out. The 5 degrees deal with the box shouldn't be an issue since I've tried the trigger directly into the mag and it still doesn't fire or give spark. I'm more than likely just gonna put a switch on it and be done cuz I'm not upgrading to a 36v system.

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I agree with all the other testing done it is either a failed pickup or crankshaft speed and like Dave and I said pulling the plugs and spinning it over will tell.

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

8. isracing

isracing New Member

End result... a buddy of mine had an extra switch, installed it, worked like a charm

Amazing how still the timing light is, and how smooth the lines of data on the racepak are now.