ITS OFFICIAL: 98% at Bradenton and Pomona

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Spy reports indicate that the official decision was made this morning to allow A/Fuelers 98% at Bradenton and Pomona. If A/Fuelers run quicker than blown cars, NHRA will take immediate action to correct the problem, opposed to waiting till the end of the year. The spy reports that it will be much like comp with cic penalties.

2. Michael Gunderson

Michael Gunderson New Member

The meeting was yesterday and I was told they would look at again after houston points race.

3. Doug Watt

Doug Watt AFD

"If A/Fuelers run quicker than blown cars" ????

I don't get this statement, I thought in drag racing the object was to run quicker than the guy in the other lane...

4. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

What a Joke! May as well put in a 5.40 index and get it over with!

[ January 27, 2005, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Darren Smith ]

5. mike w.

mike w. TAFC

What a brilliant cost saving idea. If anyone goes faster than anyone else the run is null and void!!! The run will only stand if the slower car beats the faster car on a hole shot.
    The driver of the faster car must then stand in the penalty box in front of the tower for a time based on his actual ET for all to witness his shame and humiliation because he exceeded the allowed performance limits.

6. SMcLEMORE

SMcLEMORE New Member

Form what I understand,all decisions will be made from data gathered from the fastest a-fuel to fastest blown cars.

7. Doug Watt

Doug Watt AFD

"What a brilliant cost saving idea. If anyone goes faster than anyone else the run is null and void!!! The run will only stand if the slower car beats the faster car on a hole shot.
    The driver of the faster car must then stand in the penalty box in front of the tower for a time based on his actual ET for all to witness his shame and humiliation because he exceeded the allowed performance limits."

Mike, you crack me up... but what makes it sad is that it isn't far from the truth.

8. dmwells

dmwells New Member

So what happens if none of the fast blown cars are present. Dave

9. Mark Albert

Mark Albert New Member

NOT SURE WHAT THE CORRECTED ALTITUDE WAS TESTING IN VEGAS THE TWO CARS PRESENT WERE ONLY A COUPLE HUNDREDS OFF THEIR TIMES FROM THE NATIONAL EVENT LAST YEAR

10. mike w.

mike w. TAFC

If there are no blown cars or for that matter nitro cars present then there is no parity either.
    Obviously the race will be awarded to the slowest ET in either catagory. Ties will of course be awarded to the slower MPH.
    Top qualifier awards will of course be changed to slowest qualifier awards. Naturally the low ET will stand in the penalty box.

I'm really not trying to be funny. I've raced for 45 years, and NHRA for about 40. I've raced everything from a 48 crossly to AF dragsters. In all that time I've had plenty of success and plenty of failures, but just one thing has endured all of that time. NHRA changing the rules for what ever catagory I was in almost every year if not more often.
    It's beginning to get a little boring. It's amazing what being the only game in town lets you get away with.

11. SMcLEMORE

SMcLEMORE New Member

David, if none of the fast blown cars are there, shame on on them for not showing up. Hopefully the best prepared team wins; whether it's an a-fuel or a blown car. If there's not anything to compare the performance to then you move on to the next race.

12. The Zone

The Zone Member

This goes to show you how bad they had screwed up this deal.
    I am absolutely amazed at two things:

1. They made " nitro %" the rule change for the year anyway
    2. They are changing it already before there has even been a race or a test at a track elevation that is at a representative altitude for most of the events in the POWERade series.
    (like Pomona)

Dean

13. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

Does Force have anything to do with this decision?

14. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

courtesy NHRA.com:

01/27/2005

Based on preseason testing by nitro-injected dragsters that compete in Alcohol Dragster, the NHRA Competition Committee has announced that beginning with the Division 2 Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series event at Bradenton Motorsports Park, Feb. 4-6, and the following week at the CARQUEST Auto Parts NHRA Winternationals, the nitromethane content of these vehicles will be restricted to a maximum of 98 percent.

After evaluating the performance of the nitro-injected teams and considering the amount of runs made, NHRA understands that 96 percent is not a proven number for the nitromethane percentage.

The change does not mean that 96 percent is not a viable option for the future. Testing has shown that nitro percentage is an effective tool in maintaining parity between the two classes when an imbalance in performance manifests.

The NHRA Competition Committee and the Technical Department will continue to monitor the performance of both the blown-alcohol and nitro-injected dragsters and make further modifications, if needed, prior to the Mac Tools NHRA Gatornationals.

15. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

"the NHRA Competition Committee"

Who are they? Hammer Dick Harry and Harry Rackenback?

or Force and Lucas?

16. dmwells

dmwells New Member

So much for trying to make things equalI had an idea to help the blown cars out got approved three times . Now they say I can't do it. So here I go again put this thing where the light don't shine. Dave

17. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

Lucas is not there this year but(the Force be with you).Later Mike

18. dmwells

dmwells New Member

This thing has got me very upset to say the least I'll bet if my name had been John Force my idea would have been approved. Dave

19. The Zone

The Zone Member

David, You are way more right in saying that than if your name was Lucas. I believe that family (even though a great backer of the class) would not of influenced the rules but the instant your name is Force, then the hierachy bends over.

If your name is Wells, Federlin, Thacker or Santos, too bad. They hear you but they don't listen.

A sad deal.

Dean

20. mike w.

mike w. TAFC

I don't think NHRA really answers to anyone other than the accountants.
    Why blame John Force for saying what needs to be said about this rule. He's the one who has to give Mattel an explanation of why the car they sponsor is suddenly a dog. Do you really think the executives will understand. Have you ever tried to explain our rules to a non drag racer.
    Don't rag on the guy who has done the most for this sport in the last 10 years and the only person besides Lucas who has given alcohol any extra visibility.
    There was absolutely no thought given to creating rules for either type of car that would truly work for everybody.
    There are only a few reasonable answers when you have 2 different types of fuel and blown versus normally aspirated. I don't think anyone at NHRA could figure it out.
    Keep in mind all the decisions are finally made by bean counters, not engineers or racers who actually understand the realities of the problem.