Iron Block????

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by jcowboy, May 30, 2005.

1. jcowboy

jcowboy New Member

Hi Guys: I'm currently building a blown akly bbc.It's a 2 bolt block which has splayed caps and a tall fill.Inside it has an eagle crank,C&A alum rods and manley 12 to 1 forged pistons.On top,871 stripped running about 25% over,enderly hat injection along with port injection.990 iron heads 2.250 titainium intake valves and 1.88 stainless exhaust valves.The bore on this motor is 4.375 with a 4.0 stroke.Cam with out going into a lot 115 sep.and about .810 lift
    I,ve beed told,I'm going to knock the bottom out of this thing.
    Looking to see if you guys think this will happen and what HP I'm looking at?(if it stays together...LOL)
    Thanx James

2. DQUES

DQUES Member

Anything over 1300 hp and it is a matter of time until it falls apart on you . My first BBC with a blower made just under 1300 on the dyno with an iron block . The caps ( std. chevy 4 bolt ) walked all over the place and transfered lots of metal to the block . I was running a 10-71 at the time . I wanted to run faster so I bought a 14-71 hi helix retro and installed the splayed main caps on it . On the dyno it made 1550 hp pretty easy after 3 pulls . I was told by my fuel system guy that it would break at 1500 hp but I ignored his opinion . We put the engine in the car in the spring and off to the track we went . First pass it was cookin until the crank fell out the bottom around 660' . It ripped the main bulkheads right out of the block .

If you have to run an iron block i would get a merlin or maybe a dart big m , if you want the best aluminum get a new century or kb olds block that can be repaired . Just my experiences and opinion for what it is worth . Oh yeah , the crank out of the broken engine was fine and went into my next engine and was perfect even after another 40 runs at over 2000 hp , It was a callies that had over 90 runs .