"Investigation results?"

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Dave Germain, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

I have mentioned this in the past but once again it seems like it ought to come up. The NTSB investigates all sorts of accidents, commercial trucking, all aircraft, trains, busses, and probably lots more that I don't know. They publish the results of their investigations so everybody can read and LEARN what happened and possibly prevent reoccurences. I think the racers need to know what caused those parachutes to pull off the car. This accident is a very tragic event but let's learn from it and prevent the next one. Are my parachute mounts strong enough? Will my anchors rip through? The NHRA needs to adopt a more open policy on accidents so we can all learn and avoid them. Dave Germain

2. Dale H.

Dale H. Member

I agree with you Dave, but its probably all them lawyers waiting with baited breath to use some thing in the report to lay blame to NHRA, car builders,owners,etc. to line their pockets.

Dale

3. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

Very sad...but I with you Dave lets learn from this!! what gets me is you have to have that diaper recert the bag recert but the chutes...oh well...I just dont get it sometimes..D lowe

4. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

lawyers

I sincerely believe those same lawyers are out there waiting on the results from airplane crashes and buses and semi-trucks not to mention trains. I understand what you are saying but keeping the results of accident investigations secret because of the fear of law suits is almost like condemning the remaining racers to have accidents from the same causes.
    Dave Germain

5. Dale Finch

Dale Finch Member

We had a well known funny car break the chute bracket at mission a couple years ago. The car ended up in the beach and I think mission is 3/4 of a mile long. Way longer than most tracks. It tore the front end up but I know this would have been ugly at most tracks. Not sure if they would comment on here......it would be nice so others may learn from the situation. They have top notch stuff too.

Tim's new fuel coupe ended up in the beach on the second run also at mission only at 235 mph. Pictures on the websites at the time so he won't be ticked with me.

A question for Bob.....are all of these types of incidents reported as near misses to NHRA. I agree with Dave.....we need to learn from them.

I have a love / hate relationship with lawyers too but can't run the business without them. We just can't have people getting hurt or worst if we have info that can help.

Very interested in the info on carbon brakes as we have steels all around.