Impact SFI-15 and SFI-20 Firesuit Fail SFI Testing

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Richard Putz, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

The link doesn't open for some people. Here is the quote from SIMPSON Race Products:

Dixon and Pedregon Speak Out
    Thursday, March 26th, 2009

“My Dad wore Simpson and since I began racing in 1993, I’ve worn Simpson too.
    In recent years other companies have jumped into the safety business but I see no reason to use anything else but Simpson. I have known Scott DeBoyace and Dave Nelson my entire professional career. I trust them to make sure my firesuits, parachutes, restraints and helmet are the safest out there. Allen and Debbie Bridges and Desire Burkle take care of me and my Team trackside.
    As Chad Head, our Director of Operations pointed out, that’s a lot of people working to make sure we are safe. I like that. As racers, we owe it to our family and ourselves to take charge and do all we can to stay safe.
    Safety is important.” Larry Dixon, NHRA Top Fuel Champion

“With Simpson products I feel very confident that our drivers have the best protection every time they go down the track.” Chad Head, Director of Racing Operations, Alan Johnson Racing

“A lot of wins, a couple of Championships, and even a few fires. I have put my trust in Simpson safety products for over 15 years of my driving carreer. I know they won’t compromise when it comes to protecting me.” Tony Pedregon, NHRA Funny Car Champion

A Statement from the CEO of Simpson Performance Products
    New Braunfels, Texas

In light of the recent Impact Racing product recall and SFI’s de-certification of SFI.15 and SFI.20 firesuits manufactured in 2008 by Impact Racing, we would like to assure the Drag Racing community that Simpson Performance Products is in no way affiliated with Impact Racing, a Bill Simpson company who competes directly with Simpson Performance Products.

In fact, we continue to manufacture SFI.15 and SFI.20 rated firesuits that exceed SFI certification standards. Our brand has remained the dominant and most trusted brand in racing safety thanks to the talented and experienced people we have at Simpson Performance Products today.

Dave Nelson, V.P. of Operations at our Suit factory in CA has more than twenty years of experience in racing safety. Scott DeBoyace, V.P. of Operations at our TX factory has more than thirteen years experience and oversees the production of many signature Simpson products such as drag parachutes and restraints. Both Scott and Dave are well-known and respected throughout the racing community, working closely with SFI, professional racing series such as NHRA and NASCAR and many professional teams and racers. Allen Bridges, nineteen years with Simpson, and Desire Burkle, fifteen years, represent Simpson trackside at NHRA events. We are very confident with the level of expertise and knowledge our people bring to this great sport.

You can trust our people and you can trust the Simpson brand. For fifty years, Simpson Performance Products has been the leading safety manufacturer in the Motorsports industry. We continue to manufacture our SFI.15 and .20 firesuits using DuPont™ Nomex®. Simply put, we do not compromise the safety of racers or teams for any reason. Safety is our mission; you can trust our people. You can trust the Simpson brand.

Respectfully,
    Chuck Davies, CEO
    Simpson Performance Products

2. Prospector

Prospector Member

is this the same simpson that couldnt re cert brand new suits like mine just 3 or 4 years ago?

3. Kenneth S

Kenneth S Member

From what I heard is if you buy a new -20 from Simpson, then when you send it back for it's recertification it will come back as -15 instead of a -20.

I also heard that Simpson won't recert their seat belts, you have to buy new ones.

Maybe someone knows different???

I get my stuff from Stroud.

4. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Simpson suit alterations

My Simpson suit is way too big now that i have lost weight since it was made. Does anybody know if I can trust Simpson to not decertify my suit if I send it back for alterations? It's only two years old. Dave Germain

5. was R4K

was R4K Member

sent my 20 back to Simpson in Ca. for recert and it came back a 20- I'm happy. As a fire fighter I was always aware of materials and workmanship, and Simpson got my vote.

6. clint thompson

alterations?

Are you gonna get the white fur trim and the beard?

7. clint thompson

recerts

Simpson kindly recerted my -20 suit. They even repaired a torn area, put a nice piece in you cant even tell. Was no problem at all in 2007.

8. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Ouch!!

9. ITS IN MY BLOOD

OOOOhhhhhhhhhh,
    .............Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho......dont forget the bells too.

:D:D:D

10. East Coast Guy

East Coast Guy New Member

i had a set of simpson belts that were barely used in 2007 that they wouldn't recert, instead they told me they'd give me $50 off of a brand new set of their belts instead. i ended up buying a new set from impact on principal alone.

11. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Damn Clint, That hurts. It's true but it hurts. It wasn't supposed to be all red but they ran out out of the black material so rather than wait another 6 weeks I told them to go ahead and make it all red. Maybe now they can make it the right size and add the fuzzy stuff around the collar and sleeves? Dave Germain

12. Prospector

Prospector Member

Not to fan the flames, but my 2009 impact -20 suit is supposed to be delivered any day.

How will the local tech guys know that my new 2009 tag is not one of the "retagged" 2009's that was supposed to back?

13. GregM784

GregM784 Member

And....My boots have a DOM of Jan 2009. Do they need to go back??? They are new boots, not recertified. I guess i have to call jeremy @ IMpact and get the 'skinny'

14. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

according to NHRA the 2009 SFI tag 3/4" tall is good on the new boots

15. GregM784

GregM784 Member

Good. that is what i have. the DOM is hand written on a tag under the flap

16. East Coast Guy

East Coast Guy New Member

i sent a pair of their boots back a week ago, i'm still waiting to hear back from them....

Tim Steed

17. mikentracy718fc

mikentracy718fc New Member

After talking to 4 different people at Impact they decided that because my boots did not stand up that they should send a call tag. I just got the new boots. They are and seem to be way better than the old ones. Tim you need to call and stay on them. I told them I needed them by this week and they delivered. Funny Car Feaver we go. :)

18. ROCKYS ROD SHOP

ROCKYS ROD SHOP New Member

I called on my boots they asked the date and told me they had to go back they sent a ups call tag the next day and in 14 days i had new ones.

19. Bill Sweeney

Bill Sweeney Jr. Dragster

My Taylor Motorsports boots never had to leave my equipment bag. That counts for something in my book. Thanks DT.

20. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

Bill you hit it rite on the NOSE:):)..Dave