Impact SFI-15 and SFI-20 Firesuit Fail SFI Testing

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Richard Putz, Feb 20, 2009.

1. eli

eli Banned

Holy crap, look at all them 6's, i'll bet satan had something to do with this. :rolleyes: Bill why don't you blame him?

2. Bruce

Bruce New Member

Wow I just went to Impacts web site to see if they bothered to post anything there and good ol Bill sure did he say's no recall but as a service to you he will check you stuff and there is no question to the safety of his products. You can tell by how long this has been drug out and how quickly he got on here and posted his concern's of the sportsman racers safety as to how he feels about us. :mad:

My bad I looked under latest news on his site but I went back and hit the home button and they have a recall mesage on the site.

But still what the heck took so long ?:confused:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  3. Kenneth S

Kenneth S Member

From the NHRA decertification notice that they posted yesterday.

We understand that Impact will issue a recall notice tomorrow, March 20, 2009.

With all the legalese that safety stuff requires nowadays, I imagine a lawer(s) would have to "word" a official recall notice.

4. eli

eli Banned

As you age, most SMART people have Senior moments, I guess some have Senior WEEKS, also known as being in DENIAL. what an a---hole. like i posted before class action LAW SUIT do it before they go bank ruptured. ;):D

5. GregM784

GregM784 Member

6. GregM784

GregM784 Member

Well, maybe not. . They were not updated. They were replaced with NEW boots.

IMPACT RACING PRODUCT RECALL
    Any and all driver suits, pants, jackets, shoes and boots manufactured by Impact Racing pursuant to SFI Specifications 3.2A/15, 3.2A/20, 3.3/15 and 3.3/20 at any time during the year 2008 have been decertified by SFI Foundation, Inc. and must be immediately returned to Impact Racing offices or an Impact representative. Impact Racing has reason to believe that these products do not fully comply with the stated SFI Specifications and therefore do not meet SFI manufacturer certification requirements. This recall applies to all such products whether or not they have been updated, rebadged, or recertified by Impact Racing. This recall applies even if the product now has a 2009 SFI patch or label affixed to the product. All applicable sanctioning bodies have been notified of this noncompliance.

Richard Putz....THANK YOU for hammering on this.

7. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Looks like IMPACT deleted their post. Thankfully I saved it. Here it is:

Mr. Putz;
    I am responding to your blog about me personally and Impact Racing.

You have made very serious accusations in your blog about S.F.I. 15 and 20 fire suits.

You say NHRA is covering something up, this is a false statement. You say S.F.I. is covering something up, this is a false statement. You say that I am covering something up this is positively false and libelous.

In November we recognized that a problem could exist with S.F.I. 15 and 20 suits. After some investigations we made the decisions to inform anyone that had purchased a S.F.I. 15 or 20 suit and have them return the suit as it could possibly be out of spec.

We spent about a week calling each and every customer including you Mr. Putz, asking them to please return their fire suit for inspection and recertification. We found no record of your suit being returned for inspection Mr. Putz. We did in fact receive about 70% of those contacted and upon inspection we found that a manufacturing error had been made to about 15% of those returned. We cut those suits open and added what was necessary to bring them into spec. They were then returned, postage paid and at no charge. I suggest you hire an attorney to verify the above statements.

We have made every possible effort to recover every single suit built from February 2008 through October of 2008.

As to my character, I have been around for 51 years and have been involved in homologating many, many safety rules. I have prided myself that under no circumstances would I allow anything to get in the way of what I consider the best.

Everyone has made mistakes and it appears in this instance that is what happened, and if it gives you any satisfaction four (4) people were terminated over this issue.

Also, for the record in 2008 there were nine (9) major fires with drivers utilizing Impact and no one was burned, except Tony Pedregon who was burnt on one hand and he was not wearing Impact gloves.

Finally, my Drag Race Representative was threatened at Gainesville by one of your thug friends. Get real; beat up a girl who is only doing her job? That speaks highly of you. This whole mess will go away very soon as we are responsible for what we do and certainly never would I permit anyone to cover anything up when it comes to any racers well being no matter what the cost.

Bill Simpson

8. GregM784

GregM784 Member

Because,,,,once it is on the internet....you can NEVER remove it.

Good job. How unprofessional. Wonder what CROW tastes like? Wonder what his new company will be called? Crow is taken.

9. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Greg, So here I sit in my chair, all hungover from celebrating last night. I really needed something to perk up my day and you did it. I got a great laugh from your post. Dave Germain

10. Don Hudson

Don Hudson Supa fly

Thanks for putting out the word.

Hell hath no fury like a scorned woman....or racer:)

2 pair of boots going back, 1 pair burned so bad they wont pass tech.

11. crdafoe

crdafoe Member

Greg your a funny guy. Good call on the Crow name. We wouldn't want to give Crow Enterprises a bad name though, I've heard good things about them.

Somehow I just KNEW that Bill Simpson would be deleting his post. I was going to save the whole web page but hadn't got around to it. Thanks Randy for saving the text of his post! Let the coverups and denials begin.

Chris

12. GregM784

GregM784 Member

Chris, I love CROW stuff. My belts are Crow's. My intention (as i'm sure is known) wasn't to bad mouth Crow.

Simpson is showing his true colors i think. Time will tell.

13. East Coast Guy

East Coast Guy New Member

i have a brand new never worn pair of -20 boots from impact that they replaced free of charge around christmas because of that "they're too thin" fiasco last fall. are my new boots no good also? :confused:

Tim Steed

14. GregM784

GregM784 Member

Tim, i hope not. Mine are the same deal. If i read their recall correctly, then they aren't included. They were not updated or retagged. They are NEW 2009 items.

15. Bruce

Bruce New Member

http://www.impactraceproducts.com/09pr/pr_09important_message.pdf
    It's just me right cause I know if I had a company and a web site that I would be smart enough to pull this after all BS that they have thrown out.
    But I'm not that smart to have my own company and OH hey Don read this and don't you worry at all about those burnt boots it's just an hallucination.
    check them again in the morning after the Impact fairy has come by and fixed them.

16. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

spin

"This is not a recall, but we're asking everyone to send back anything we've made in the last year and a half...since it's not technically a recall, you don't 'have' to, but it's no longer certified unless you do send it back for inspection."

What a crock.

Whoever is calling the PR shots over there should be fired along with the other 4. They have lost probably ten times the credibility they would have had they just owned up from the get-go, addressed the problem, took the bull by the horns so to speak. That seems to me more of Bill's style anyway. Now they look like a bunch of idiots trying to hoodwink the racing community. I realize at this stage, lawyers may be calling the shots, but at the rate they're going, Impact may not have enough credibility to pay those lawyers.

Bill Simpson has made quite a reputation over the years as a man of safety innovation. As one of my company commanders told me in the Army one time, "One aww shit can ruin a lot of attaboys."

Looks like the lawyers are in full defense mode. This story is far from over, unfortunately.

17. Bruce

Bruce New Member

Hey Bill or any one at Impact racing could you say something nice to Don here as to why the boots he paid for don't seem to match up to the one's you freely give to the pro drivers and or the one's that you talk about in your own statement.

(safety, dependability and quality of
    your fire suit or drag boot) is not in question they just are not good enough to race with if you are in a car that exceeds a speed requiring a roll cage.

18. MrMoparRacing

MrMoparRacing New Member

Wonder if SFI checked Impact's SFI-3.2A/5 fire suits? I forked out a bunch of $ for the Impact 2 layer suit compared to the other brands last year. I bought it because of the reputation of Bill Simpson and for the looks and now I am afraid that it might not be up to par. Granted I only race a nine second car but it does run on alcohol and if a fuel line broke I am afraid that my hide could be fried! I know that my Impact SFI driving shoes were made in China and I am pretty sure that my Impact SFI gloves were made in China as well. Any thoughts?

19. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

20. danny

danny compet elimin