Impact recalling 2008 sfi 20 suits

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Tommy, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Bruce

Bruce New Member

Also DT makes allot of high quality safety items that are all over his car if you are at a race we are at you should come over and look and ask about some of the products. I know Brain Hough for one loved the fact that the trans blanket he got had a nice set of handles on it to help with handling it that his other one did not have. Come over in the lanes and look - I'm always right there sitting on which ever front tire is in the shade ( dragster guys can't say that !) or keeping DT's office chair warm and although I don't work for him in the shop or know anything about this stuff if you come up and ask I can point out the product or the manufacture.
    Any way I just like too meet the other guys out there.

In Pomona I always sit on the right steer tire as the sun is still in the southern Hemisphere.

Which came first the Hemi or the sphere ?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. GregM784

GregM784 Member

I had a good talk with Micheal today w/ Impact. I believe I got the 'skinny' on what is going on. he explained why they need the suits back (new fabrics, and having to QC the work, and if something is wrong they will take care of it). They are upping their QC he said in 2009 so more small issues don't get blown out like this. This is bad timing, but it is when they knew about it. They aren't magic. They are simply a company trying to fix what is wrong.

A thought here. Impact is a young company. All companies make mistakes. You do not measure a company by it's mistakes, you measure a company by HOW IT HANDLES it's mistakes.

Impact made things very right with me, they went the extra mile to insure I was happy. They made sure things happened when they said they would happen.

I'm happy. End of story. Faith restored in a company. In today's economy & business structure, most companys will have you grab your ankles, if they are in the wrong or not. Impact did ANYTHING but that.

(Flame suit on, flame away!)

I'll stick by my guns on this one.

3. East Coast Guy

East Coast Guy New Member

greg,

sounds like they shipped some vaseline to you along with your stuff, it's sad that there is still no notification from impact to the racers that they sold safety equipment to on their own free will. instead the racers have to call them inquiring about it after reading about it on sites like this, that's not good service or good public relations in my mind. just my .02

tim

4. GregM784

GregM784 Member

I understand Tim. Michael said they had contacted all of the poeple that had purchased -20 suits.

5. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

I posted a reply about the impact gear in another thread but it seems appropriate here too. Racers need confidence in their safety equipment and right now NOBODY has any confidence whatsoever with the impact gear. If Impact wants to stay in the racers business plans they need to get open and honest and in a big hurry. How about coming on here and letting us know whats happening? At this point I would rather deal with a unknown maunufacturer rather than one whose products are apparently substandard. It is my money and it is my butt. I will deal with the company that makes me feel the most confident in their product. Alcohol racers have thousands of dollars in safety equipment in their operations, we can take that money any place we chose.

6. Tommy

Tommy Super Comp

greg the rumour if you want to call it that is is that the -20 and -15 suits not only didnt pass sfi but they failed big time so much that sfi contacted Nhra and Nhra said no way can anyone run them , same with the boots. no one is pony-ing up but they ar sure working hard to cover all there a$$es. if you want to enjoy a group hug from them i can accept that but now for sure it was a bad deal for the racers who were waring them just glad no one had a bad fire in them or they would be tost. Thanks.

7. okieracer

okieracer New Member

impact

Any updates on this situation? Impact's web site says 36 suits inspected and all suits meet sfi cert.? What about boots?

8. JJ Kumre

JJ Kumre Member

I have a Simpson sfi-20 suit that I got 5 years ago. I use my suit in Nostalgia racing about 5 times a year and have it cleaned once or twice a year. It went back to Simpson just last month and came back as a -20 no problems. I needed new boots to have -20 as the -15 wont work in fuel classes and was really looking at the Impact ones but after all this I bought another pair of Simpsons. I needed a new helmet, looked at the Impact line and was really leaning that way but I guess I just don't feel comfortable spending my money there.
    I like Simpson stuff but it comes down to how they have treated me which is well and the fact I feel safe in who my money was spent with.

9. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

I just got back my new boots today
    these things are thick now
    they will stand up with out the side of the boot falling over
    very much different than the ones i bought last summer
    these make me feel a little more comfortable that my toes won't get burned off

10. GregM784

GregM784 Member

From their website. I agree, this should be a lot more public. And also, nothing about the boots in this deal.

http://www.impactraceproducts.com/09pr/pr_09important_message.pdf

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    IMPORTANT - A MESSAGE FROM BILL SIMPSON
    2008 SFI-15 and SFI-20 Products
    Impact Racing is not recalling its SFI 15 and 20 Products. But as a service to you, our
    customer, we would like to inspect your fire suit and/or boots with an SFI 15 or 20 tag
    only, dated 2008. There is not a question as to the safety, dependability and quality of
    your fire suit or drag boot. 36 suits have already been inspected and they meet SFI
    certification. We believe that we have been in contact with most of our customers but if
    you haven't heard from us please contact our main office at 317-852-3067 so we can
    address your needs and answer any questions you may have.
    Thank you for choosing Impact Racing. I stand behind all of my products with 50 years
    of experience and devotion to the safety of the racing industry.
    Bill Simpson
    IMPACT