impact boots

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Tommy, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Bruce

Bruce New Member

Glad I dont have to wear them.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  2. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

I have a pair of Impact -20 boots. They were bought to replace my Simpson -15 boots. The Simpson boots are much heavier than the impact boots but the 'correct' numbers were there so the tech guys liked them. My problem is the entire numbers thing. As long as the 'sticker' is there the tech guys will pass it. What if at the last event you went to the suit, diaper, bellhousing, etc, etc was damaged? As long as the sticker is still there you are good to go. My idea is to flush the recert idea and simply have the tech guys look at the parts and make sure they are in good shape. The correct sticker does not make the parts good, a good tech guy makes the parts good. Dave Germain

3. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

Agreed 100%! If your blower bag, engine diaper, and more recently trans blanket look great you should be able to run them. If everyone is so freaking safety concious like they claim to be they wouldn't run sub-standard stuff. Period. So why the heck do we have to send our diapers back every year to get looked at to make sure it's still ok to use...is that not why we have tech inspectors? If they are the ones telling me my car meets all the standards to race, they better be qualified to tell me if my blower bag is not good anymore until it's fixed.

4. top505

top505 New Member

Something to think about. In aviation there are parts that have to have a 100 inspection in order for them to be certified to fly. I want a certified tech to go over these parts that know what they are looking for! Next time you are on a commercial flight wouldn't you rather sit in that seat and know they have been inspected by a qualified tech - instead of the pilot that does a walk around. The point is safety and if there is someone out there that uses a sticker that says one thing and is another - this is who we should be putting on the plane.

5. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

I agree with that. When you send somthing back to get certified, it gets inspected and from there you can see whats in for repairs on any given item. But at the same time, all that sticker is doing is saying that under "normal racing circumstances" that the part meets that particular SFI standard. You can have stickers on every part of the car, but if the parts aren't being used right, there is no telling what might happen. The tech guys are there to make sure you have all the right parts to meet the rules of the class and that there isn't anything done thats blatantly half-assed. Its up to you and your crew to ensure the proper installation and usage of the parts, which makes sense. You, after all, have a vested interest in your own life as well as not destroying the car and hopefully those who work with you feel the same way!

6. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

Did anyone see what they were replacing them with
    the normal boot that goes over a shoe or were they replacing with their one piece nitro boot that is sized like a shoe

7. East Coast Guy

East Coast Guy New Member

i'm hoping they replace it with the boot that goes over a shoe, he wears nomex simpson shoes under the boots as an added layer of protection...

8. Burner

Burner New Member

I got my replacements today its a boot that goes over a shoe. Make sure they give you a right and left.
    If I was racing I would still get DT's boots

9. Brent

Brent Member

I wonder about the qualifications of some of the people recertifying our parts. I got my blower restraints back recerted with the same duct tape on them that I had to put on the fire sleeve last year.In case your wondering duct tape recertifies 14.1! I let the bellhousing manufacturer cut the tabs off the can and got it back with grinding wheel gouges in it. Now try to get the recertified in 2 years. Firesuit manufacturer screwed up and recertified the suit 2006 instead of 2009. Dyslexic? They recerted the arm restraints for June and the suit for November.Do the restraints wear out before the suit? (Arm restraints don't require certification). I noticed the Lenco recert went from $35 to $77, and the 14.1 went from $35 to $101 over the last 2 years. Did I get bent over or did it the recert price go up everywhere?

10. East Coast Guy

brent,

i just had my blower restraint recertified by deist, they looked brand new when i shipped them off. they charged me $101 for new sfi labels.

11. cpgeneration

cpgeneration New Member

restraints/recert/boots

tim just start to get tommy all dennis taylor equipment, he has fantastic service.. frank...

12. East Coast Guy

i'm still waiting for the new boots, this is the last time i buy anything from impact ever again

13. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

They have had mine for over a month now also,
    guess mine were not any good or they would have sent them back to me.:eek:

14. GregM784

GregM784 Member

Hell, i was promised a mailing lable, and that hasn't shown up yet!

15. Bruce

Bruce New Member

Just put the boots on and walk thru a fire there should not be a problem and if there is they will give you a free pair.

16. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

1 word BOYCOT..Dave

17. larrymiersch

larrymiersch Member

boycot?

I, for one, have had great success with Impact's products. I also have had great success with Taylor's products. In fact, I spend alot of time at Taylor's shop and can speak very highly on the quality of their work. I use Impact's personal safety equipment and I use Taylor's safety equipment. I recommend both very highly.
    Ask Dennis what kind of helmet he uses.;)
    Regards,
    Larry

18. top505

top505 New Member

More questions now than answers on Impact Boots

Was at the PRI show and went to Impacts booth to get some answers about the safety of the boots. I spoke with Impacts people and left with more questions than answers. One I found it odd that they did not have a boot for me to look at on display to see if it was a different thickness than what I have. I was informed that a new one was coming out in about 3 weeks. I was told that it was a bad batch that they replaced in Pomona. So I asked how many are in a batch - they could not tell me. I was informed that at Pomona they had a list from NHRA to work off of in Pomona to replace - what about all the others that were purchased and those people were not in Pomona? I asked how they were checking the boots in Pomona and she said she just felt the thickness of the boot. Is that how SFI checks to see if the boots are safe - a finger test? I am also still waiting on my call tag! Maybe the fingers were worn out from all that feeling to mail my tag out.
    Like I said more questions than answers.

19. East Coast Guy

i find it interesting that there is still no kind of notice or recall about these boots on impact's website, it shows their character in my opinion. they care more about the allmighty dollar than they do about the racers safety. :mad:

20. GregM784

GregM784 Member

I followed up with Impact today, they sent the label, but to the wrong address. Oh well. They tried. it is on the way again. So, we'll see how it works this time.