IHRA Top Nitro

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by A/Fuel Dragster, Dec 22, 2008.

1. A/Fuel Dragster

A/Fuel Dragster New Member

Bob "Automan" Ottow I have been in contact with powers to be at IHRA, in an attempt to bring the A/Fuel dragsters to IHRA. I have informed them with very small changes, we will be able to run 4:90's @300MPH, and have very few OIL DOWNS. We will also give the fans, header flames, during the "Night of Fire", on Saturday night.

What I have proposed is:

The class be named....Top Nitro

100% Nitro

2:91 gear...........Then 2:70 when available.

Clutch management, Simple 2 stage for now.

5.0 pounds per CU. IN....This is what we have now.

Professional ranking.....Which will give us TV time, and access to the press.....and the real possibility of getting a sponsor.

All Nitro Crew Chiefs to be licensed, to be held accountable for safe operation in the pits, and on the track.

There are some hurtles that have to be addressed, but if we can get started, we have the potential to replace Top Fuel in the future. Sponsors of Top Fuel, could field a number of Top Nitro teams for what they are now spending on just one Top Fuel team. As we all know by now, the economy will not be good for at least 2 more years.

IHRA has a 10 race schedule. I was informed that what is needed, is the funding for the class. This amounts to $26,000 per event. The payouts are as follows for an 8 car show.

1st round.......$1,350.00
    Semi's..............$2,000.00
    R/U.....................$5,000.00
    Win.....................$10.000.00

Some teams I have spoken to, have said a higher 1st round money, would help defray travel costs....say $2,000.00, and shift the remaining pay outs.

If a sponsor for the class can not be found, then an entrance fee for each team is the next option.

To start with, IHRA is very interested in an "Exhibition show", at the first race in Rusk, Texas, early March, 2009.

This is what I have proposed to IHRA, and Aaron wants me to e-mail a final proposal to him.

What we need now is a consensus, from all teams that are tired of eating excrement sandwiches, served up yearly, from our current racing organization. Feel free to contact me to voice your want and needs, or to get a more detailed explanation of this proposal.

Bob "Automan" Ottow
    530-308-8827 Cell
    530-885-8815 Shop
    automan@sbcglobal e-mail

2. heggeracing

heggeracing New Member

Yes

Keep me in the Loop on your progress I have been to many IHRA races in sportsman classes and PROMOD and found the races to be very well run. And best of all they let cars run to there potential (5's in Top Dragster For Example, yes bracket racing a 5 second car is tricky), rather than stiffling them with a bunch of rules. Best of Luck Bob.

Doug

3. mark6052

mark6052 Member

Replace Top Fuel !

My arent we confident:rolleyes: thanks for remembering the BAD guys. injected sounds nice but please, from the stands there is NOTHING that can take the place of blown nitro. and what makes you think that with afew changes, gears, blower drive, etc, that blown alky cant keep up? Lets see, on one side of town we have 8 nitro funnys, on the other 8 injected nitro diggers. who do ya think will draw the largest crowd? ;) for what its worth I do believe all the alky cars (digs&f/c) are worthy of the term PRO.

4. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

Didn't the IHRA open up A/Fuel to run with TF about 4-5 years ago? 500 CI, 100% no limits, did anybody run a 4 sec. pass?

5. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

NOPE! Just a lot of "banging and popping" from what I remember:rolleyes:

6. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

IHRA Exhibition Shows.......Here ya go IHRA, There is a HUGE influx of Screw Blown Alky F/C's out there:eek: Keep us in mind! "Book" us in at Martin as it is the ONLY chance we will have at racing in Michigan PERIOD! Why do I live in Michigan again??!!:confused:

7. Bruce

Bruce New Member

Make belive is fun :D

8. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

[ Why do I live in Michigan again??!!:confused:[/QUOTE]

Steel Tim, Where the real money from the movie is made!

9. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

Thanks for reminding me Mark;) There was a time when there was $$ in steel, now we just give it away at cost for something to do:eek: How are things on your side of the world? Looks like we will be racing together again, should be a FUN and INTERESTING season! Tell your Mom we still have the Canadian Kitty Kat:D

10. youngtuner

youngtuner Member

Parity

So here we go one of the big names in Injected Nitro saying that with a simple gear change and a clutch cannon they can run 4.90s...
    What will it take for a Blown dragster to go 4.90?????
    Sure not a gear change and a clutch cannon.
    Nope nitro doesnt have the competive edge....
    Not that i care either way im just out to have a good time.....
    Just had to state the simply obvious fact.

11. baux

baux fuel altereds forever

Bob we here at Bill Evans Racing support your idea and are interested in helping out in anyway possible. Count us in!
    Also dont let these keyboard crewchiefs and drivers of this site steal ur thunder its a good idea and it helps with the parity b.s. as well as lack of top fuelers that is sure to come with the economy on the fritz and all.
    Its kinda funny though, you try and come up with a way to possibly end the parity problem and give back the blower guys their class. And they still ARENT HAPPY! go figure...

12. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

ihra

Top Nitro sure would be an enhancement on the schedule..right now the racer sheet shows "6pm pro qualifying order-PS, PM, TF, Motz"
    should be able to secure the track and be headed out to dinner before the usual crowd even gets there! Good luck!!

13. youngtuner

youngtuner Member

evans crew

Dont get me wrong i dont care about getting the class back i like the different combos. i dont even want them to chage your combo, instead maybe give us something to go faster like clutch cannon or restrict the number of 6 shooters you have to run and give us the 8973 or something to that effect. I hate seeing the nitro hit i think that is just making it worse all around cause you poor guys that are still working on figuring out your combos just lost all your data again.
    I feel they need to give us something.

14. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

pero cuidado

Bob and others,

I applaud your efforts to get an A/F class going, but in your zeal, take a step back and look at what they've done to the Nitro FC and Alky FC classes before you try to get in that bed.

Either way, you have different rules than you had last year, changes to be made either, 100% or 94%....

I think we should all get together and look into doing an ADRL type series for the alky cars if we could get the finacial backing.

15. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

I don't have a A fuel dragster so my opinion doesn't count for anything more than a spoonful of spit. But I don't believe I would spend a dime on any race car that was specifically set up for IHRA only. From what I have heard the IHRA has left the funny cars both Nitro and Alcohol swinging in the breeze. I wouldn't trust the IHRA to even be there at the track when you get there. Dave Germain

16. Bruce

Bruce New Member

:confused:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  17. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

what dosent make sence to me is why would they drop funny cars then talk to someone about a different class even though i have a ta/fc for me a a fan i think the ta/fc are a better race to watch as you know they say the ta/fc is one of the hardest cars to drive and i think its a hell of a show to watch nothing aginist the dragsters i know there fast and im not taking anything away from you guys but i think a lot of fans came just to see funny cars and pro mods not nessasarly in that order just my thoughts

merry christmas to all

and good luck in the future to all the racers

18. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

The big problem - It is more fun to watch an AFD on the jack stands than watch them go down the quarter.

Cheaper option - Propose to IHRA to just bring the AFD's and warm them up in the pits. Unlimited Nitro percent.

19. KMS

KMS New Member

fc

Hey Jim, we had a driver meeting, TF and N/FC, with the prez at rockingham. He said the reason Nitro Funny was dropped was because of Money. He told us to help the IHRA find funding to pay the class and we would have a place to race. I assume that if you had enough $$$, you could get any class there as long as they didnt have to pay the purse. There was no mention of dropping a/fc in the meeting. I was shocked the class was dropped. You know I love A/FC. Dont get me wrong, the nitro fc is awesome, but there is nothing like leaving at 5-6,000 rpm and shifting! IHRA alky fc's were hauling this year. I never dreamed roots cars would go that fast. Some very talented teams in a/fc. Andy Kelley

20. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

andy congrats to you when i seen you running the nitro car i was glad to see an old alky match racer that i knew make it to the class great job whats up for you now any plans to return to ta/fc are will you go play with the big boys in nhra remember all the outlaw quick 8 races like buck used to put together man that was a lot of fun unless i can book some stuff next year i will probley be done and proble try to find someone to help on there car good luck next year