Ignition problems on blown alky combo

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by nazca, Sep 23, 2009.

1. nazca

nazca Member

:confused:We are having intermittent ignition problems on our blown AJ 481
    We run an MSD 44 mag with MSD points box ,coil and MSD digital 7 box
    The engine will run perfect one time and refuse to start the next
    We have changed the crossover switch , the coil, and checked the points box
    This past weekend we had a new problem after switching every component except the mag the engine would fire run for a few seconds and backfire violently. Any suggestions as to what is causing this Thanks

2. eli

eli Banned

Do you have the heads grouned back to the coil with wire? from head to head to coil.

3. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

I ran into two separate ignition problems in the last couple of weeks, you might want to check these out.

First one was a broken primary wire coming from the mag, it was broken inside the insulation so you couldn't see it. It would fire and run one time, then be stone dead the next.

The other one was a leaky coil wire, it was arcing between the boot and the insulation, I guess the insulation broke down. The motor would idle but as soon as you brought the rpm up, it would quit.

4. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

Another thing to check (on the no start at least, though I doubt it has anything to do with the backfire after startup) is to make sure you do not have any start retard programmed into the digital 7 box, the generators in the magnetos do not have enough steam at cranking rpm to tolerate the offset.

Richard G

5. underby6

underby6 Active Member

Unplug the crossover switch and the Digital 7 and see if the motor will fire. You might even try running it off the mag and no crank, hope you figure it out.

Regards,
    Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #323

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Something to consider......maybe you fixed the original problem and in doing so have another problem. Running for a real short time and backfiring is also an indication of a fuel starvation problem.

I agree with just running in on the mag with no Digital 7 and no crank trigger and no crossover switch. If it starts andf runs like that then put one thing at a time back in until you get the problem again.

Can you keep the motor running if you keep squirting alcohol into the hat? If so then you really have a fuel delivery problem.

7. nazca

nazca Member

Thanks for all the replies
    We have the heads grounded to chassis and all electronics are grounded to stop any stray voltages We replaced the coil wire before the weekend
    We have tried running on mag only bypassing crank trigger and digital 7 This worked in the past showing us a problem in the crossover switch which we have replaced 4 times in two weekends
    We think it had enough fuel as it was running out of the header and we followed the same startup routine that has worked in the past
    We think we have a problem with the mag as it is the only part which was not new this season
    Does this sound reasonable

8. tafccrewguy

tafccrewguy New Member

Sometimes extreme basics need to be checked.I once had my timing wheel indicator on the crank hub one bolt hole off giving me 60 gegrees more timing than what I thought.Sometimes it would backfire a bit out the exhaust,and the next it would fire and run,but always started with difficulty.Luckey I caught it before WOT.Was the motor previously apart before this started?

9. nazca

nazca Member

No the engine hasn't been apart. All new plug wires and coil wire before this weekend The backfiring problem just started this past weekend.
    The funny part of this is in previous days once we get it started it runs perfect
    The problem mostly occurs on first start up.
    Last weekend here is the sequence
    Friday first attempt to start nothing Checked crank trigger OK Checked coil OKtried again started on mag wouldn't run on Digital 7 Changed crossover switch everything good
    Made two passes everything good.
    Saturday morning same thing again checked everything again new crossover switch seemed to solve the problem.Ran good qualified number 1
    Sunday same senario changed crossover switch it fired ran for a few seconds mild backfire and quit. Again changed coil etc again finally fired ran a few secs and a violent backfire We checked everything can't find anything wrong. Maybe a bad wire or bad mag? Our season is over so everything will be checked and freshened for next season.Again thanks for the help

10. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

If you run a crank trigger, check the "wheel" on the crank. Maybe one or more of the manets has lost their magnatizem. I had a brand new RCD wheel that had two bad magnets, would not fire for shit. Check to see if all four magnets will pull and hold a small washer.

11. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Nazca, when you said your season is over it tripped the trigger and I saw you live in Canada and then you said it will not start first thing in the morning but once started it will run the rest of the day. So let me ask if it is below 60 degrees when you are trying to start it. If so I find that you have to use gasoline in the squirt bottle or it will not start. I have been embarrased by this several times. Sixty degrees seems to be the magic temp for me and starting.

12. nazca

nazca Member

Thanks Mike.
    It was well below 60 about 45 -50. We are using a mixture of 50 %Gasoline and alcohol. Next year when its cold we will try all gas

13. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

I had a problem a while back with mine when it wouldn't start at the line. Really embarrassing. Brought it back to the pits, disconnected the crank trigger and it started right up so we ran the rest of the weekend running it off the mag rather than the crank trigger. I called Dave Leahy and he told me if the motor cranks slow sometimes it won't fire off the crank trigger. We had let the starter batteries get low and it cranked slower. So just by charging the batteries to crank the motor faster we fixed the problem. Dave Germain

14. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

That's pretty cool. I bet that is all it is and it starts ok on your fifty fifty mixture then goes lean and spits back and stops. Probably if you do that enough times it might finally start. A lot of 100 percent gas squirted for an extra long time will probably get it started.

15. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

Up here in the cold north we are often in the low 60's or 50's. If we don't use gas to start it in the morning, it just backfires out of the pipes and sounds like the timing is 180 degrees out.