Idle too high! help!

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by CjRedden, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Mark Leigh

Mark Leigh Member

Very good ! Thanks for the update .

2. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

I see you added port nozzles, by chance did you use the same type as your hat the ones with the small hole in the body, ports need to be solid holder without the hole.
    just wondering out loud!

3. CjRedden

CjRedden Member

yes they are solid without the hole. my problem was me. I was doing the leakdown with the butterflies open too much. now that I closed them off more it is running much better. now all I pray for is a dry clear day Saturday for our race.

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Here is my recommendation. First let me say that the leak down of a barrel valve is a reference to allow you to go back to the same place that was good for you. It also puts you in the ballpark. What you are really interested on is getting the idle mixture correct. You should adjust the BV to give you a good response off of idle. No hesitation which is too lean and no blubbering which is too rich. If you are not a two step car then the other and probably the most important thing to check is the EGTs at staging. That should be in the 600 to 625* area. Once that is all set correctly then you should measure the leak down percent and record it so you can always return to it. Once that is done and you have found the right spot for your motor you can also adjust that percentage to make changes and always know where you are. Just because my motor works best at 85% on my gauge doing it the way I do it may not be 85% on your motor with your gauge the way you do it.

5. CjRedden

CjRedden Member

Thank you for that response mike. Now that i have the racepak i can start tuning the car off the egts and get a better idea what its doing. Now i have a better idea of what im looking for and what i want. I aplteciate all your help. Now if you can adjust the weather here near chicago that would be great

6. Dave Koehler

Dave Koehler Member

ehhh..no......EGTs are not an A/F tuning tool. ET is #1 with the spark plugs #2 as confirmation. Look up Mike Canter's paper on alky plug reading.

Dave Koehler
    http://www.koehlerinjection.com

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Dave is 100% correct. EGTs depend on a lot of things including ignition timing and is not telling you the truth inside that combustion chamber. The best indicator we have as to what is going on is reading the spark plugs. What I like to do is to adjust the fuel system so I see 1000* at the end of a run then read the plugs and balance them so they all read the same then lean it out until you have the amount of burn you want on the plugs. You will be shocked how far off the EGTs are once you get it correct.

Read this
    http://www.draglist.com/artman2/pub...cohol_Motor_Spark_Plug_Reading_101_1172.shtml

8. eli

eli Banned

Hey Mike ,
    What ever happend to the side gap plugs
    that champion used to make for racing hemis?
    N54R Nitro N57R-Gas N60R- Alky
    We used them back in the 60s 70s
    Never had a problem with them.
    Then they disapared, there was a
    tool to gap them,? I think I have some
    someplace and the tool.
    Gene.