hughes deadenber?????

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by JP1GAZ, Apr 27, 2011.

1. JP1GAZ

JP1GAZ New Member

i am having difficulty getting down the track, funny car with old jp1, blown hemi, crower three disc pedal clutch and 1.41 1.37 three speed cs1 lenco, we have tried 2 turns base(750lbs)12grams on fingers but still launch soft 1.55 60fts, i have been told to go for a hughes shorty powerglide, what are your thoughts, and how does this measure up to the lenco on dimensions whith feet either side,? any help appreciated, thanks
    Gaz

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

How old are your slicks? Where is the problem during the launch and during first gear or the shift to second or what? What is the car doing? Blowing the tires off or going into shake or what? What rear gear are you using and what size and brand slicks?

What RPM do you launch at? Do you have a data logger and if so what is the driveshaft rpm at .5 seconds into the run?

3. WANNABE

WANNABE New Member

Hughes makes some cool stuff, but for your application, please run away!!!
    There are a few manufacturers of powerglides that are really good for your application, (Mikes, etc.) But not Hughes.

And as for me, I would try to find out what the problem is with what you have. Then decide about going in a different direction.
    You will have a little more room with the glide, but certainly not the longevity.
    And an I reading this right? 1.55, not 1.055? I don't know how you can load the chassis of a funny car with a 1.55 60'.

4. JP1GAZ

JP1GAZ New Member

Thats the problem 1.55 to 60ft, 4.30 rear gears 34.5 17-16 M&H rears not old, crower pedal clutch 2 turns = 750 spring chart, 12 grams per finger, 6-71 hat inj 488cui JP1 kb water heads ss valves, 1.14 and 1.37 gears it just seems to drive off launch 5000rpm, burnout non existant?????? just dont know where to go with it,
    i will try post a video later

5. underby6

underby6 Active Member

The 1.14 gear would be my concern, but above I see you said 1.41? 1.41 and 1.37 should be plenty aggressive with a 4:30. What are you exhaust temps and cylinder head temp when idling and at launch? It very well could be an issue in the clutch dept.. I wouldn't go to any powerglide, I'd put a 2 Spd. Lencodrive in it. I'm not a fan of those tires, much rather see Hoosier or at least MT's. With that small of a blower, maybe a 4:56 or 4:77 gear would be better suited for you.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  6. badbird

badbird New Member

the startline was very sticky this weekend with that little clutch you would be just going for a sunday drive away from the startline i had trouble locking up my leanders 3 disc with a ton more base than that, that startline took some real agression to get any wheelspeed, and im taking timing up to 30 during first gear and leaving at 6200 with a 4.56 and a 2.04

One of my crew guys was handed both the soles of his shoes by a track marshall....no BS

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011