How to shut off at end of run?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Scouder, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

shutting off

Just got my converter back from my guy. When picking it up he said. So you shut the car off after the traps, My answer was yes, he told be he could tell from the heat and also could see the oil level. So if you are going to go some rounds, I would say don,t shut it off. to early. Lots of heat. Another lesson learned. Keep your ears open, and ask the right questions, at the right time. Just another thought. But if you are like most of us, you are going to do it your way, until you get tired of spend your money and do what the right people tell you. Don

2. wildman

wildman Member

well.... so far, I follow this procedure..... which, is a little different due to the fact that we are running 1/8 mile. Anyway..., if it's pointed toward the big end, :) chutes at first site of the speed trap.... click ignition. (msd not mag) leave trans in 2nd gear.. coast off track. I never even hit the fuel shut off. I've had the convertor apart 3 times now and was told that it looked like the day we put it in. Now, having said that, we've smoked the trans 4 times. Maybe time for a new procedure.

3. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

If you push in the clutch, doesn't the motor drop to idle? assuming you have your foot out of it? If it doesn't, then your floaters have grown into the stands or there is something else wrong.

Depending on the air gap you run, it can be hell on clutch discs. If you wear .006-.012 on the pass, and you had .080 or better air gap, thats almost 1/10th of an inch with the discs going as fast as the trans. input shaft and the clutch as fast as the motor. Thats a lot of real estate for stuff to bang around. The two hardest times on the clutch are staging and shutdown where there is great disparity between the speed of the clutch and speed of the discs/input shaft without plate load.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  4. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

If you do that at Pomona and the chutes don't hit the next sound you will hear will be the barrells at the end of the catch net folding your car in half.

Hit the chutes then go after the brakes like you know the chutes aren't going to work. Once you feel the 2.3G tug of the chutes then you can relax the brakes. Ask me how I know.

5. GregM784

GregM784 Member

Nope, not gonna do it.....it's a trap!

6. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

On a convertor car, if fluid circulation after shutdown is the goal, why not use an electric pump like the one by ATI to pump fluid through convertor and trans at shutdown. My blown car more or less shuts itself down when the chutes hit (I dump both every time.... just in case:D). One could make the ing. switch a three position center off type with up being on, middle- all off and down trans pump on. That way when you reach over and kill the ing., after you pull the ripcord, you can flick it all the way down and turn on the aux. trans pump. Maybe before the trans loses any pressure. It would circulate fluid until the batt died, or you turned it off. Would you have to wait untill the running trans pressure dropped to a safe level to turn on the aux pump? In other words if you turned on the pump while the motor was running what would the internal trans pressure do to the pump? Could a small electric pump overcome the trans pressure at shut down?

7. altered boy

altered boy Outlaw Altered

damn that ATI pump is pricey for what it does!... on a converter deal i'd say keep it simple boys. chutes, brakes, leave'r running for a few seconds... kill it at/near/around/just after/whatever you make the turn off

ps jody... if your car won't stay running AT ALL at the shut down... probably need to look into a baffle and/or bigger tank... just my opinion

8. chuck weck

chuck weck Member

lets just say we experienced a parts incompatibility issue with the floaters that made us nuts till we figured it out...

9. Scouder

Scouder New Member

Just got off the phone with Mike's Transmission. They said they leave the car in gear after the run to keep oil on the planetaries, and recommended I do the same. They said if you don't, they eventually turn blue. They kill the fuel and mag at the turn out.

-Scouder

Edit: This info applies to Powerglide.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  10. Dragsterbus

Dragsterbus Member

How about with a Crowerglide clutch ? (blown hemi-mag)