How many times?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Greg, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Greg

Greg New Member

Before you read this, understand that I am not asking for specifics. Rather, I am just wanting honest feedback to get an idea of what people are doing, a survey of sorts. My questions are:

1. How many times do you alcohol teams take fuel in and out during a run? Timers/ solenoids etc. on gear shifts or other

2. How many times do you retard or advance the ignition timing? 6 shooter etc. retard on launch or other.

I would think that most folks are using a "known" fuel system such as a Conway, Drazy, Davenport, Newberry, etc., but it would be interesting to know how complex or how simple some are making it. Thanks for keeping this board "technical" as well as a place to discuss issues.

2. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

there is no right or wrong universal answer on this. it all comes down to what the car wants. different building blocks such as chassis (primarily motor angle and location), engine type, tires and how hard you want to run come into play. also, your particular tuning philosophy and what variables you like to adjust and play with. one fuel system guy will tell you do this, while the other will do that.

whatever you do, go with one train of thought. if you buy fuel system A, do what that guy tells you, not what so and so is doing on a 'B' type system.

through my experience, and what i've learned from working with one of the best alky tuners ever is these cars aren't that smart.

i will give this bit of advice to newer teams, the difference between you and the front of the pack more than likely is going to be made up in small methodical changes to your existing set up opposed to having some 'trick gadget'. there's a million ways to skin the cat. i've seen cars haul ass with mulitple stage fuel management, and cars haul ass with a pump loop and main jet. seen cars haul ass with six shooters and static timing. it all comes down to doing what the car and track wants, and making small changes to creep up on a combination.

if you go back to one of my old no shake zone articles, i discussed the value of runs down the track. covers much of the same points.

hope this helps.

3. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

Like Will said start with a base. The most importent thing we did is keep good records on everything. The car will tell what you need. Laps laps and more laps. Each track may need something a little change in a combo. Mind you I am just a yakapuk low buck racer. I had to learn not to kill it.

[ February 04, 2004, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Funnycarbob ]

4. Greg

Greg New Member

Thanks guys. I agree with you. I have seen some cars with very little management run very well and then I have seen others with over half dozen timers etc. I just thought the differences were significant enough to ask about. Will, I looked through the archives and didn't find what I thought you were speaking of. Could you offer any assistance on this one? I looked through the 2003 archives. Couldn't find any older.