Hot Rod Fuller Article?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Dan Lynch, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

It's all about respect.

Respect for his crew.

Respect for his car owners.

Respect for Lee Beard.

Respect for other racers and classes he knows absolutely nothing about.

Respect for his fellow TF racers by not elevating himself above them.

Regarding the article, you will never convince me that Mr. Fuller didn't have the opportunity to read it and give it the thumbs up or down first. While he may have been a great guy in his SC career, he has shown what happens when you let your circumstances go to your head.

Having lived and breathed alky racing for 20 years and drag racing for 35 years, we've had our highs and lows. But never in my wildest imagination would I ever get up on top of my trailer and look down on my fellow drag racers no matter what class they drive or choose to participate in. We are all family.

I admit I know nothing about SC racing, but I sure know it takes a lot of talent and ambition to put a program together and win races. I have no business judging them or their abilities as they have no business judging mine. We may not agree on which class floats our boat, so to speak, but the bottom line is we are all here to race and win.

If there is any backpeddaling it will only be for public damage control. Privately he still won't understand why the world is up at arms and doesn't agree with him..."for I am the greatest! Just ask me and I'll will tell you!"

If he was driving for me or my company I'd pat him on the back of the head, send him on his way and call the next batter to the box.

2. eli

eli Banned

Randy, the only time i can rember anything close to this ,is when Tom The Mongoose, and Don The Snake, Big John Mazmanian, Stone Woods and Cook, Isky and Engle Cams, clamed that they were the best, but it was just hipe, to sell parts ,and get the fans in the seats

3. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Crew Chiefs

I wanted to add a side issue here. The ESPN2 coverage- driver this and driver that. We all know that the real winner of a fuel car race is the crew chiefs. We have seen too many absolute rookies come into the sport and drive top fuel cars fairly successfully. Seems as though I recall a baseball player and a football quarterback jump into a fuel car without an real driving experience and do fine. It is all about the crew chief.

4. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

Since I feel the Alky classes are Grossly underpaid, I do agree with his comments about Alky racers Not making money. But the way he said it sounded Very Cocky. If we hear about RF pulling a Hamstring, it's because of all the backpedaling he'll be doing over this!:rolleyes:

5. eli

eli Banned

I, for one will boycott all valvoline products, till they dump this analpassage!!! :mad: :p

6. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

valvoline

i wouldn't go boycotting valvoline over fuller...they didnt spew off that bs...

i let this thread continue to make a point how wrong he is. please keep the comments racing related...

7. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Sad part ...last I heard...is that Payne, New'b, etc. are all on their last year of their Valvoline contracts because the $$ is being redirected toward the TF car. That was the pit buzz, anyway.

I hope they reconsider.

8. eli

eli Banned

Maybe so Will, but they provide the stage, and the opportunity for some one like him to spout off, obviously he has no filter between his mouth and brain!:rolleyes: and to reply to Randys last post==== this is why sportsman racers can`t get sponcers, all the TV coverage go`s to the fuel classes and pro cars, i have been ringing the bell for the sportsman classes that eventualy were going to be obsolete, or you got to be rich to race any more, from what i hear Randy you lost your sponcer and now one of the big dogs has to sit on the side lines,hope you get another one soon, it`s a shame that your car has to sit out the time till you get another one, you had a shot at the title.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  9. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

Good readings

10. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

rod's response on nhra.com

rod made his response via rob geiger on nhra.com's geiger counter....

http://www.nhra.com/counter.asp

fair enough i guess.

i never doubted his talents as a driver, his track record speaks for itself in the sportsman ranks. respect is what was in question.

driving an alky car and driving the big end in a bracket car are two different skill sets. just like some can throw a ball and some can hit a ball.

11. Worms

Worms Member

I'd say the hamstring has already twitched form that backpedal..... sounds like spin doctoring to appease the masses.....

12. eli

eli Banned

Ya, and don`t forget when you backpedal, most of the time the belt breaks:eek: :rolleyes: :D

13. Jefty

Jefty New Member

Damage control...

R. G. for president!

14. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

Post of the year nominee.

15. bryanbrown

bryanbrown Member

Will,
    You should be proud. I think this shows how much people outside the alcohol ranks pay attention to your website.

bryan

16. eli

eli Banned

If hot rod (phift), thinks hes a good driver ,put him in a AA/ FA 1960`s style,92 in wheel base, with the front crank center line 24 in. off the ground, s#!t slicks, hi gear, no slipper clutch, and lets see how many times he gets from point A to point B without hitting the wall!:eek:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  17. Lee Callaway

Lee Callaway The Gov

He should try playing his racing career backward like a old country song his hair and old lady might come back.

18. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

Atta boy Lee, just love that ol' country music...........

19. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

I read the story yesterday before I left work and also his reply in the Geiger counter. What a back pedaling fool. I think what really irritated me more than anything was in his response he mentioned Shelly, Darrell and Blaine in it. He couldnt hold a candle to those three or any of the others he mentioned.

I dont take anything away from the super class drivers he mentioned either. I come from a Super Comp racing family and I am very familiar of the accomplishments of what they have done. I also think that given the opportunity to drive a fuel or alcohol car, in time they would do well in one. It takes more than driving talent to get into a fule or alcohol car. Its all about the money.

I'll use this as an example. I am a licensed driver in Super Comp for 12 years. Have won a few races and consider myself a good driver. I have spent the last 6 years working on and off on a D7 Championship winning TAFC ( John Weaver '00 ) and a perrenial top 10 D7 TAFC ( John Patton ) Those credentials and 5 bucks might get a cup of Starbucks. Just because I can drive and work on a TAFC isnt going to get me Randy Goodwin giving me the green light to drive his hot rod. Now maybe if I went to Frank Hawleys school, got my license and brought 75-100k to the table with me, Randy might agree to meet with me :D

Its not that Super Class guys arent considered for pro rides, its that they arent getting noticed due to them being in those classes. Now step up with some money, jump into an alky car and maybe a pro might take more notice of you. What a putz Rod.

I think if I get a minute next weekend in Sonoma I may go by his pit and at least let him know not to toss Shellys name in his backpedaling efforts. Not to take away anything from any of the other folks he listed, but she and I were friends. She might not have had the wally count and such like Rod does but she never forgot where she came from and never bagged on the little guys.

Just my .02

20. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

I betcha not once