Horsepower based on fuel consumption

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Danny Humphreys, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Danny Humphreys

is there a formula that tells what the approximate amount of power you are making based on fuel consumption?

2. aj481x

aj481x Member

Blown alcohol with roots will use somewhere around 1.8 pounds of fuel, per hour, per horsepower, but this can vary pretty dramatically. A good Pro Stock motor will burn less than .4 lbs of gas.

3. B.DOUCET

B.DOUCET New Member

For a blown alcohol engine a safe tuneup is a BSFC of .0053 GPM per HP. That should get you close for a starting tuneup. .3 gallons per pound of boost is pretty close also.

4. Danny Humphreys

So 13.5 gpm is roughly 2500hp? Is my math right on that?

5. B.DOUCET

B.DOUCET New Member

Yes, that should be pretty close at 8000 RPM's.

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Is that .3 GPM for a Rootes blower or for a screw blower? There is a difference. A Rootes blown motor is making about 400 HP more than what is at the flywheel because it is being used up driving the blower. So if you make 2600 HP at the flywheel the motor is really using fuel to make 3000HP. On a screw blown motor it is using 150 HP to drive the blower. So it would take two different computations for each type blower. Danny runs a screw blower

7. blown375

blown375 New Member

I don't think that you can go by fuel consumption because of so many other factors like ignition,cubic inches and camshaft,cylinder head and blower efficiency.

Say you were to make only 1000hp with 375 cubic inch smallblock chevy with a screw blower and a mild cam and a set of alan johnson symmetrical port heads and promag.
    Then say you make 1000hp with an old flathead ford pumped up to the same cubes with a some old school 6-71 blower and a huge flat tappet cam and a vertex mag.

Are you telling me that the sbc that isn't even coming to life and is capable of making that hp normally aspirated is going to use the same amount of fuel as the flathead with it tongue hanging out?

8. B.DOUCET

B.DOUCET New Member

Mike, I use this with a screw and do the usual test hits to even everything out and read the plugs. I find that it's usually about a gallon less for a good roots blower, but close enough to start some testing. If the engine has a flow meter, I check these numbers at 8000 RPM's because thats all some of the top dragster/sportsman guy's turn there's.

9. B.DOUCET

B.DOUCET New Member

I think if both of them engines are built for drag racing and turn them 8000+ and some how get that AJ engine to only make a 1000 HP, they would require close to the same fuel, less the difference in Hp required to spin the blower. I use this on engine's with between 20 and 50+ pounds of boost and it works for me. I'm sure there are plenty of combo's that neither of these baseline formulas will work on, but I haven't built one yet.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  10. blownmudrail

blownmudrail New Member

so if you go up 10 pounds of boost you need 3 gallons of gas? is there a formula for percentage that you overdrive a motor if you have your baseline already?

11. B.DOUCET

B.DOUCET New Member

I'm sure it would make a difference if your going from 10# to 20# are from 30# to 40#. Either way, 10# would be a major HP gain. I would estimate around 400 to 500 HP if the other componets are correct. Depending how close to the edge the tune up was before the pulley change, it should require between 2.5 to 3 gallons more. The VE of the engine and the blower would also play a part in the amount of fuel required. This would be a BASELINE tune up only.

12. blownmudrail

blownmudrail New Member

is there any rule on percentage on jet sizing? say if you were 30over and went to 40over or 40 over and went to 50 over? jeremy

13. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

You have to talk lbs of boost here and not percent of OD. Not all blowers put out the same amount of boost for the same amount of OD. There are too many variables in the motor, blowers and hats that can also change the boost some. One thing to point out here that on a 2500 HP blown motor one pound increase in boost is worth 170 HP. At 2000 HP one pound of boost is worth 135 HP. At 3000 HP one pound of boost change is worth 205 HP. So when one says that one pound of boost requires .3 GPM of fuel change that is for a motor making around 2500 horsepower. If you are only making 1800 HP to start with then you may not need the whole .3 GPM change and maybe only require a .25 GPM change. Either way a .3 GPM change for every pound of boost change is a good safe rule of thumb at an 8000 RPM and Density Altitude of zero feet reference for the boost and the fuel flow. I just don't want anyone not in the know reading all this and going off and damaging their motors.

14. mbaker3

mbaker3 New Member

Mike! This information is exactly why I really like this site! We "new" ones to this sport certainy appreciate feed back from ones that have "been there and done that"! :)

Again, thanks for all of the tech info that everyone here helps us with!

15. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

About 20 years ago Steve Plueger told me that if the alcohol guys could figure out a way to burn as much fuel efficiently in their motors as the nitro motors use it would make the same power. I thought he was on drugs.

His prophecy has come to pass, though. Many years ago the nitro racers were running 5.60's with a single Enderely pump. Even back then Steve was real big in trying to cram more fuel in the motors. From what I know, todays alcohol motors are burning roughly the same amount of fuel that the nitro cars were consuming back then. It takes the latest screw blowers and everything else to do it on alcohol, which was what he meant by figuring out how to do it efficiently. At any rate, the alcohol cars are going as fast as the nitro cars were back then when they ran close to the same amount of fuel we use today.

A quick comparison to todays alcohol funny cars compared to a nitro funny car of the past would be Steve Plueger's Bucky Austin driven NFC. Small cubic inch, limited fuel pump, and running 5.70's like clockwork.

BTU's

RG

16. blownmudrail

blownmudrail New Member

yes i have to agree thank you for all the info want to learn as much as possible and it helps when you learn it from someone that has already done it. thanks again jeremy

17. B.DOUCET

B.DOUCET New Member

Thank's for the HP to boost numbers, Mike. I wouldn't think the HP numbers would go up that much. Thats why I recommend the .3 per pound deal and it seems to be a very safe starting point. It also eliminates the the problem some have with the BSFC formula when they have incorrect predicted HP numbers that sometimes aren't realistic. Do you have some dyno figures with different boost levels on the same engine are did your numbers come from on track runs?

18. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I do believe the .3 GPM figure is a safe rule of the thumb. The boost to HP increase can actually be computed mathmatically if you know the horsepower the motor is at before the boost is increased and the amount of boost you increased. These figures have been backed up by track data. I don't think a lot of racers understand what a change of one pound of boost can make. That is again another big advantage of a screw blower and that its produced boost is stable and does not continously decrease with use like a Rootes blower.

19. aj481x

aj481x Member

How much power does a screw blown motor with 60psi make?

20. clint thompson

how big is the sky?

I would think it would depend on the CI amongst a host of other factors.