Hero to zero in 2 runs. LOL Pictures inside

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by ZERO260IN1, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

OK you said you had 30 lbs of boost after the overdrive change but how much did you have before the change?

A little earlier this season with a car I was working with lost a piston and blew a head gasket and torched the head and block on a perfectly safe tuneup. When the Racepak data was studied you could see the fuel pressure jump up because one of the port nozzles got blocked off by a piece of dirt. Just a fraction of a second after the fuel pressure went up the EGT for that cylinder went hot then cold. When the motor was shut down and the blades closed the tremendous vacuum created in the top of the motor combined with that shut down spike in fuel pressure probably sucked or blew that piece of dirt out jet so there was no evidence of it afterwards. We had made the mistake of not having a small strainer on the inlet of the barrel valve or a fuel filter. You can be lucky and go forever and never suck a piece of dirt or something like this can happen. The other problem is that if the rubber port lines are old then they can be coming apart inside and block a jet.

2. JRB

JRB Guest

You take the actual percentage of OD change and add the same amount of fuel.

25 over to 30 over is not 5%. It's actually more like 8.3% more.

25/30=.83

This is what i was shown by Les Davenport and it hasn't failed me yet.

3. Micetich

Micetich Member

% of change

I agree with JRB about adding same fuel as % of change, but I don't agree with the math.
    1.3-1.25 =.05 .05/1.25=.04 that is a 4% change. Always done it this way also no problems. Also .83 =83% :D

zero260in1, in your example of 9.1 gpm
    9.1 X 1.04 = 9.464 you added .3 gallon which is very close to what I would do, but a different way to get there. Don't know if your example works in all situations.
    Also remember changing overdrive changes cylinder balance and if 6 was on the edge before it could have gone lean. If you want to be safe you could be like JRB and put twice the change in %. That's one way to cover your #@$:D:D:D

4. JRB

JRB Guest

I'm on my phone, a bit tougher to proof what my fat fingers are typing. Lol

Your way makes some sense, but to each his own. Do what works for you..

5. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

I have been watching this one for a few days so you could get expert feedback before I threw my theory out there and muddied things up:eek:

When I look at your first post,

1. Safe looking plugs, car repeated performance from 08 even with less compression and same GPM
    2. Found one cold cylinder, ( cylinder 6 ) and took 2 sizes out of that hole
    3. Spun blower from 25over to 30over, added .30 of a gallon to tune up
    4. Two runs with 30 over, and this was the result to cylinder number 6

It made me think that 2 and 6 are the holes that get the least fuel on your engine, since you left the fuel alone, when you went down on compression spacing out the fuel droplets ?, it pushed #6 over the edge into a lean misfire at idle so the plug showed less heat causing you to take two out of that hole.

When you upped the overdrive without adding enough fuel these two jugs took the brunt of the beating particularly 6 since it was 2 sizes down and was the leanest already.

Like I say that's just my theory, any feedback will be appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  6. nitrowannabe

nitrowannabe Member

25 times what equals 30.

25 times 1.2 equals 30

thats a 20% increase in OD

close to Mr. Davenports rule

7. James D

James D New Member

Did you run water the time before?

8. Moparious Maximus

Ok, everyones opinion is on here already so let me put mine in.

It doesnt matter what the % change in overdrive 25%-30% = whatever %. Its simply a matter of how much more air you can pump. A 5% increase in OD is worth alot more on a good 14-71 that it would be on a weak 8-71. In my opinion the only way to figure how much extra fuel to throw at it, is to know your air output.

Then there is the intake temp rise going from a 25% to a 30% OD.

9. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

25% OD to 30% OD is not a 5% change. You have to use full numbers when dealing w/ %'s.

IE-25% OD is actually 125%, 30% is 130%, etc

Underdrive would be 85% for 15% under, 95% for 5% under, etc.

so 125% times X = 130% where X is % increase

130/125= X

X=1.04 which is 4 %

So 25% to 30% is a 4% increase in OD.

Confused? me too :)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  10. AnimalCrew

AnimalCrew New Member

Flyboy is correct. The numbers are 1.30/1.25 = 1.04 or you can do the math like this (1.3-1.25)/1.25 which yields .04 or 4%. But again - the change in air needs the right amount of fuel. If you figure .3gpm per # of boost increase that should keep you safe.

If we have the time we will make a 1/8 mi. and 1000' pass to verify we are safe before we run it out the back on a blower change. Read the plugs and verify the distribution hasn't changed and overall tuneup is fat before the 1/4 mi. shot.

Troy.