Here are the new rules

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Max Power, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

marty,

so thats your trick...you 'think'...lol.

who'd thunk it? :D

i've also learned lessons from thinking too much...lol.

round one columbus...jason cannon smokes the tires...guess i thought wrong..lol

'think long think wrong.' go with your first instinct.

[ October 20, 2003, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Will Hanna ]

2. was R4K

was R4K Member

I"VE BEEN WATCHING THIS THREAD FOR A WHILE, AND TRASH ME IF YOU WISH, BUT i THINK SMOKEY IS right!
    I come to this conclusion from going over the computer and our experience with the top fuel car- As I don't run A/FD here is my guess- In top fuel we are at 8,000 at the hit and we pull down approx 1500 rpm by 1/2 track- we are able to do this by adding fuel as we go and we can do that cause we have low compression ratios- The A/FD guys are at high compression and are unable to add much fuel for 2 reasons- no cylinder volume AND extra fuel cools the engine resulting in an explosion vs burning the fuel- My guess is that the science in a/fd is twofold- 1- keep heat in the engine 2- be very meticulous with the coefficient of friction on their clutch discs because of the lack of clutch management.
    If I am wrong feel free to kick my butt, cause I'm just a dumb Canadian that knows more about blown fuel than unblown. I think that I grasp the concept though. Now if I could find blownalcohol that easy, life would be grand! ;)

[ October 20, 2003, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: was R4K ]

3. Hokes Racing

Hokes Racing Moderator

Dang is that the same Marty that I know

Lanny [​IMG]

4. Rapid Transit

Rapid Transit New Member

Sorry about that Smokey, I found it. this part of the post I was talking about. Now if you think just by asking a question about the weight means I don't understand..... Kim

5. was R4K

was R4K Member

lets quit throwin rocks at each other and share some info instead.

6. Smokey

Smokey New Member

Kim...I respectfully retract my reference to Rapid Transit as "not understanding".
    Marty is on the right track and will do very well in 2004 against the A/F cars.

7. Bob Holley

Bob Holley New Member

Food for thought!!!!!

There once was a time when all the great minds said that a drag racing car could never exceed 8 seconds and had the math to back it up. 4.42-333.9
    Seems as though for many years drag racers have been proving the great minds wrong. There is always another .010 out there you just have to find it. I am sure that when Marty made his quickest run he did not look at his computer and say this is the best I could run under any conditions! That is not a drag racers mentality.
    I am just an old TFD owner driver for 17 years who built his own cars and motors and has decided to give it another try with an AFD.
    Bob Holley

8. Will Hanna

Staff Member

bob,

i guess us blown racers need to go get a c blower and a 'sneaky pete' nitrous system to 'find' our extra tenth... :D

9. The Zone

The Zone Member

You are right Bob, He probably never thought that run was absolutely perfect. Maybe he could have (or David Wells on his 5.272 pass) gotten a 5.23 or 5.24 out of it. But, on that said token, most agree that the Gary Ormby in 2002 or Alan Bradshaw this year 5.13, 5.17, 5.19 runs were ugly on the top end and should have been a tenth better. Remember, the two Ormsby runs were under 270 mph. One was just 260 mph. that extra 20 mph those two runs should have been, I bet a tenth quicker for sure.

Dean

10. Bob Holley

Bob Holley New Member

WILL the post was not directed at the BAD's. If you want to take it that way so be it. Nor was I trying to be a smart ass!
    I only meant to point out that every time drag racers think they have hit the wall someone finds
    another few hundreths or even a tenth. I would like to see parity in the class but that has been rehashed now on your web site with biases on both sides. My personal openion is that the weight change will not make much of a difference. I also think that NHRA is more concerned about the speed factor and many marginal div. tracks are becoming unsafe in their estimation. If it was up to them they would slow the whole class down. They could have given the BAD's a better weight break and or allowed the larger size engines etc. Only time will tell. The added weight will have some effect butyou or I can predict the exact number. You know they might have done the A-Fuel guys a favor by making it easier to load the motor on div. tracks. The problem with the new rule is if it is not effective one way or the other NHRA has heard all they want to about this issue for a year so we will have to live with it good or bad!

Bob

11. Will Hanna

Staff Member

bob,

i was only joking.... :D

12. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

Why is everyone so upset? Thacker runs 20's and so does Wells. Maybe all you cry baby's should figure out how to do that with your B/AD and we wouldn't be talking about it. If you think a/fuel is a better deal than throw some down nozzels in your brad heads and shut up!

13. Will Hanna

Staff Member

real simple. even if you can run .20's, a/fuelers can run teens. i really think this issue has been beat to death. people have their positions, they are probably not going to change.

14. The Zone

The Zone Member

ch3no2, you make it sound like Thacker and Wells do it regularly. look at the results. They both did it at the track that had the only conditions where a BAD could have done it. Lucas did 5.20's at the same event as many runs as the two of them did 5.20's together. In fact, at four events since the finals last year, Morgan made as many 5.20 laps than all the BAD 5.20 passes in history (10 each, the BAD's are over a 4-5 year period). There have been 35 5.20 or better runs by A/Fuelers this year alone, at Nationals. Overall I think that there has been 55 5.20 or better passes by A/Fuel cars in history. I think around six 5.20 runs at Divisionals. There has never been a 5.20 pass by a blown car at a divisional.
    It ain't that close at national events ch3n02.

But to put it on the other foot, at divisional events at marginal tracks (of which there are at least 15) in hot conditions, the advantage swings very strongly the other way. BAD's have pretty well dominated. The NHRA has a very tough task in this class.

Dean

[ October 30, 2003, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: The Zone ]