Here are the new rules

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Max Power, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Smokey

Smokey New Member

speedzoneboy..stick to writting articles for the uninformed and gathering data. You know very little about racing or what it takes to pay the bills on a race car.

[ October 18, 2003, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Smokey ]

2. The Zone

The Zone Member

Show your credentials before you spout off smoke stack (or are you just full of hot air).
    Legend in your own mind. Come on, make me eat crow. I am not beyond making a public apology to you if in fact you are a legend (or at least someone who has been there done that). What are you afraid of? You do the same at Nitromater or deepstage. People challenged you to 'out' yourself

Dean Murdoch

3. T.Smith

T.Smith Top Dragster

Is someone trying to impersonate Smokey Yunick?

4. Bob Holley

Bob Holley New Member

Smokey,
    Where did you get your vast knowlege about a-fuel power? Bet it wasn't anywhere near a car thats exhaust burns your eyes. If an a-fuel car makes max power the first 600 feet how can it run 280 mph. Power = Speed
    Bob Holley

5. Bob Orme

Bob Orme New Member

Answers to those questions could/would shed more light on what affect the changes might have Kim. The engine displacements aren't numbers that I have in my driver's database, but they are available on the national event entry lists on the NHRA website. To find out what the cars weigh, I'd think you'd have to have someone spend time at the scales. As far as I know, if a car is within weight, while the weight is recorded, it isn't info compiled into a list for public or racer consumption.

Bob [​IMG]

6. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

smokey,

i think that is what is called getting called out...

last call, smokey to the lanes...

still waiting on your physics lesson.

7. alkysniffer

alkysniffer New Member

Since blonecrewchief knows numbers here and I have not a clue how to figure it out here how about if she figures out how much horsepower an afuel car makes to get it to go like that. I do know a guy that did figure it out and then thought he was wrong and sent it to an engineer and he went over his numbers and said he was right on it. Will didnt miss the number by very much on the 5000. Ppl have to remember there is no trans to go through so it takes a lot of power to make one of them go. 280 tho that took power all the way through not just 600 ft to do. So how about it blondie can you figure that for us and put it on here I think it would be very interesting what was come up with. I didnt get to see the other figures so I think everyone would be interested. As far as the 75lbs goes wont do much guys on my little 700 hp car 75lbs will slow it down about 7 hundreths on a car making 3500 maybe 5 hundreths at the most. Afuel 5.13 slows to 5.18 or 19 best bad car run still a 5.26. Aint gonna make much diff.

8. Smokey

Smokey New Member

Will...you asked "how many horsepower it takes to move a 2100 pound car 60' in .9 sec??. Horsepower doesn't move the car. Acceleration is a function of torque (FxD)=T. However, a good estimate of HP at the rear wheels is around 3600. The biggest problem in attempting to calculating the number with any accuracy is not knowing the loss due to friction coefficiant, i.e., clutch and rear wheel slippage.
    This is an excellent starting point for an argument on why the BAD can run as fast as the A/F cars...and...this is also the premise for why better clutch management on the BAD car will put them in the low .20's. Perhaps Marty Thacker is someone who understands this premise...?

[ October 19, 2003, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Smokey ]

9. Bob Holley

Bob Holley New Member

Well Smokey you're not doing to bad now! I totally agree with the 3600 hp assesment only at about 6000 to 6500 rpm.
    Bob Holley

10. Rapid Transit

Rapid Transit New Member

Thank you Bob, any info helps. I didn't really figure anyone had REAL numbers.

SMOKEY: Thanks for YOUR opinon TOO, although I beleive that IF you go back and read the posts, I (RAPID TRANSIT) never said anything about not understanding the Blond Crewchief's post.
    But group me in there anyway LOL
    Kim Thacker

11. The Zone

The Zone Member

Kim, I gave you the name of the only guy running a 411 in. Niver, and the larger motor siz, vbery few. Four- six, maybe. As far as weight, a responsible guess is that the top runners would be as close to weight as the top BAD's. How close are you to weight Kim. The same for most a/fuelers is probably right on.
    And Bob Holley, you hit the nail on the head as far as 270-280 mph. The top A /Fuelers are picking up around 50 mph on the top end, much like the BAD's. Don't say all the power is in the first 660 Smokey. Maybe on Bradshaw's, Most others are charging from 1-1320 feet. Still waiting for your credentials. You sound alot like a guy I remember on Nitronic Smokey, ol what's his name. FRANKLIN!!!!!! :D :D

Dean

12. Rapid Transit

Rapid Transit New Member

Whoops, Sorry about that Dean, I went back and I guess I wrote "Bob" because his was the last post before mine! :D I guess Smokey already had my mine thinkin about my next post! LOL
    As far as weight, it depends on which track you weigh at,we have been all over the scales and only changed the weight on the car after the wheelie. So you do have to be safe and not get DQ for weight.
    Kim

13. Rapid Transit

Rapid Transit New Member

What happened to Smokey's OTHER post? Kim

14. Smokey

Smokey New Member

Kim...What other post?
    Zoneboy..you need to look at one of the A/F team's g-meter readings. The power is at its peak at 1/2 track. Spend some time talking with some of the more knowledgable tuners and you may learn something. Franklin? Wasn't he a writer type that didn't race, kind of like.....you? Credentials? What are yours? Bottom line is that nobody cares what yours or mine are. Anyone's credibility is no more than the facts they can bring to this debate.

15. 400lb Gorilla

400lb Gorilla Super Comp

Anyone's credibility is no more than the facts they can bring to this debate.

well said.......

16. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

smokey,

as far as marty having the clutch figured out, i dont think anyone will debate that marty has something figured out. mph is usually a direct indicator of hp, so i dont think it is all in the bellhousing.

i think the new lock up clutch will help, how much, i dont know. it will help the cars sliding the clutch more than it will someone who is locking it up as it is. if marty, in fact has a combo that locks the clutch up w/o causing too much wheelspeed early, then a lock up clutch wont help that much....

17. The Zone

The Zone Member

I talk to Mitch Myers, Jerry Darien, and others. Franklin was no writer, just a poser. As far as credentials. I have been involved with five TAD teams in my home town of 28,000 people since 1992. While none of them are 5.40 car or better, they are 5.60 - 5.90 cars. Have done all aspects of crewing in TAD and know very well how to read a race pak. I also have talked extensively to most of the of tuners in the north west for a number of years.

I believe a TF car also has the highest g's when the clutch locks up around 400 - 500 feet. They must nose over too right in the second half. They are going 275 at half track and only pick up 50 mph on the top end as well. My point is to not talk about myself as everyone knows my name smokey. the point of all this is the bashing that faceless/nameless people on boards constantly do. If a person has the balls to spout off they should also have the same to say it with a name attached or in most's opinion their comments don't mean squat

Dean

18. Smokey

Smokey New Member

Will, you are right, but, it could also be an indication of less clutch slippage in the back half of the run. Remember, the horsepower is there in many cases, it's mearly figuring out how to applying it without getting under the curve.
    Marty is a thinker.
    Zone..Thank you for once again sharing your "credentials" with us. As I said earlier, nobody cares, however, if it makes you feel more accepted..OK.

[ October 20, 2003, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Smokey ]

19. TADman

TADman New Member

As Dean said, no one cares what YOU have to say because we don't know who the hell you are. Take this to heart or not, i really don't care. The reason my name isn't on here is because I am just a huge fan of TAD racing, so therefore my name need not be mentioned...as for you, if you really are some big hot shot in the racing world then maybe you should tell everyone who the hell you are. Dean is a very credible person, as are pretty much everyone else on this board that you like to bash, get a life loser.

20. Smokey

Smokey New Member

Zone...PS: Who said anything about "nosing over"?
    If you do not understand the difference between a torque curve and a horsepower curve with regards to how they affect the performance of the internal combustion engine than you need to listen rather than talk the next time you have a conversation with the individuals who's names you mentioned in your message. I gaurantee you Mr Darien and the others understand.