Help !! New Leahy trigger, motor won't start

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by jody stroud, Dec 7, 2008.

1. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

Went with an RCD front crank support on a big chevy. Used RCD crank hub/trigger wheel with the small 90 deg Leahy pickup. Left everything else the same, set gap at .048 now it won't start. Any ideas?? Thanks, Jody

2. badbird

badbird New Member

Good idea is Use an MSD trigger:)

3. jody stroud

had msd pickup on before, no problems, went with all rcd stuff to better fit the front crank support they recommended the Leahy pickup.

4. ITS IN MY BLOOD

.048 thou is too tight...

........ .070 to .090 air gap

5. Danny Humphreys

Leahy says .100 to .125 gap, try starting it on the mag first to make sure its not another issue, also try using gas to prime especially if it's cold

you can also test pin to pin on the CT 40 ohms

http://www.electrimotion.com/CRANKSHEET.htm

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I agree the gap is too tight. Open it up to .100" and I bet it will start.

7. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

I bet its not turning over fast enough. If that is the problem then buy the Leahy switch that wires to the starter button and allows the car to automatically start on the mag and immediately switch over to the trigger. Its really inexpensive and works great.

8. Dale Finch

Dale Finch Member

I agree with earlier posts, the gap is too tight. David's directions say .100 if I remember correctly. Easy to diagnose by just bypassing the crank trigger. If it starts you know the deal.

9. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

I set mine at .080 and it fires right up.
    Probably a no brainer...No one has asked you if you have the Lehey pick-up timed correctly to the location of the magnets on the hub.

10. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

wont start?

Bieng to close will not be a problem unless the pickup hits the ring. blwnaway is probably right not spinning fast enough or the pickup hit the ring and ruined it. Mike

11. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

Thats ight, clearance is just so the rotating assembly does not flex and allow the ring to hit the trigger....the closer you are the better it is as long as your sure it wont hit.

12. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Believe it or not with a crank trigger if you get too close it will not work. I had to go and help a guy start his new motor a couple of weeks ago because of the exact same reason. He had the gap at .050 and it would not fire. Opened it up and it fired right away.

13. jody stroud

Everone, I'm sorry... should have stated that I run a MSD 10 Plus, ran all year with a MSD pickup set at .050 with no Problems. I run the sheilded trigger cables from msd and hooked the ground on the Leahy trigger straight to the neg. on the batt. I also run three 6 volt batt's wired to 18 volts so rpm's at cranking not a problem although I don't think it matter's with a msd 10 plus. Thanks for all the reply's. I did notice this evening that the trigger lines up with the very back of the trigger wheels edge and the magnet looks to be epoxied in the front edge of the shell. Think I need to space the pickup farther foward to line up over the magnet more? I set the gap at .048 because the instructions from my old msd trigger said to gap at .050. (.048 is the closest I could get with my old set of feeler guages paried up)

14. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Your gap is still to close regardless of what ignition. Yes, you are correct that the sensor should be aligned to the wheel. The center of the sensor should be aligned to the center of the wheel.

15. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

Per a recent conversation with Dave Leahy you cant be too close with his trigger as long as it does not hit.

16. jody stroud

Think I found my problem,I hope, seems my 10 plus is bad. Has power to the coil even when I turn off the 12 volts to the box. Won't fire the coil at all, sent all my stuff back to MSD. Whats funny is it seems to have went bad sitting on the car stands.

17. Blown540

Blown540 Blown Alcohol Dragster

MSD-10 Plus Box

Jody, I just got my MSD-10 Plus box back from MSD. I sent it back for the reason you stated, that the plus side of the coil always stayed hot, with my battery voltage showing even with the ignition off. Joe, the MSD tech on the 10's called me and said all MSD-10 Plus were made that way and it is just a function of the ignition box. He said it would not draw power and kill the battery as I thought. I did have another problem as my points terminal would not fire the coil and that was corrected and now I have a very hot spark. THANKS! Jim from TN