Help!! Found Gold

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by hotrod 316, Oct 2, 2008.

1. hotrod 316

hotrod 316 New Member

Thought I was taking baby steps. After seeing some junk in the oil I tore the motor down and checked the bearings on our first blown small block, Chevy 406ci, 6-71 not stripped, Methanol, 10 to1, 26* total timing, The blower is 17.2% under driven, The barrel valve was at 67% leak and moved it down to 58% for the last two runs trying to put some more heat in the motor.
    The motor has 7 -- 1/4 mile passes, 5 ---- 1/8 mile passes or less, but this is were I need help:
    #1 main bearing measure .803 top .803 bottom
    #2 “ “ “ .803 top .802 bottom
    #3 “ “ “ .812 top .847 bottom ******** UGLY, NOT SPUN
    #4 “ “ “ .836 top .832 -.837 bottom spun ********* BLACK
    #5 thrust do not know how to measure it, looks ok some wear not bad
    Rods bearings look ok will mic. Junk did go through them.
    One pass with the Trans brake, all the rest foot brake,
    Clive77 bearings, are these the wrong bearings?
    The Spun bearing? Lack of oil / pressure after the bearing was smashed /spun?
    I Need input, we lost our engine builder, (RIP) RICK!
    The Oil was changed after every 3starts, was using conventional 10w40
    The Last oil change was 2 passes ago and had one warm up at a car show.
    No useless gold noticed at that time, but now there is a ton in the pan.
    Thanks in advance any and all help needed
    hotrod316
    Steve M.
    PS can you line bore the 400 more than once, (rear main seal). Second can you get a timing chain or gears?

2. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

I run 10w-40 in my honda accord. It has 341,000 miles on it and it works great. But I wouldn't run anything thinner than straight 50 in my race car-ever. The oil is the cushion the crank and rods run on. The thinner the oil the less the cushion and the more likely you are to hurt bearings. In my TAFC I run straight 50w Lucas when it's cold and straight Lucas 70W with Lucas stabilizer when its above 85 degrees. Dave Gemain

3. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

I agree. Anything less than 50W is for street driven cars. Is this a dry sump or a wet sump oiling system? How much oil pressure on the last run compared to other runs?

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

This is from several articles that I have seen on oil a few years ago. The article written by a petro engineer stated that 10-40 was the worst weight of the oils out there because there are so many additive and changes made in it to give the 10-40 spread that there was not much base oil left in it for lubrication. In the 1980's GM actually stated that their motor warrantees were voided if 10-40 oil was used. I don't know if that grade is still bad but maybe something to think about. My recommendation is to use a straight 40 weight or a straight 50 weight oil so you get more base oil lubrication. You never said what brand oil you are using but I would stick with Brad-Penn or Valvoline Racing only.

Also you never stated what oil pressure you are holding going down the track. As a minimum you need at least 10 lbs of pressure for every 1000 rpm you run. What oil pump or system are you running?

What is important is what the rod and main bearing looked like when you took them out. Are they blackened, are they polished through the babbit, or what? What clearances were set up on the rods and mains to start with? They cannot be tight on a blower motor because you need that oil barrier.

5. hotrod 316

hotrod 316 New Member

THANKS FOR THE INPUT
    Oil is Kendal,
    Wet oil system,
    45 psi at starts
    65 psi last time I look at it going down the track
    Mains
    1 looks very good some polishing
    2 looks good some polishing
    3 down to the copper not black
    4 just the steel backing and black
    Thrust looks good some polishing
    Sorry can not find the main clearance or remember
    Rods all look good, some polishing on the bearings but not to the copper
    Rods clearance was .0025-.003”
    The biases was a good street motor except for the alcohol
    500 hp run 10 seconds
    Car run 9.41 139mph
    2100lbs race readily with driver
    6200 is the rev limiter shift light was 5200 never saw the shift light
    Burn out is 4500
    No boost gauge plan was 4-5 pounds of boost
    Were we way off base? Thanks Steve m.

6. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

Boost sounds a little low. I'm thinking it was closer to 10PSI than 5PSI.

Oil pressure sounds low. Sounds like the line hone was off too.

Is it carbed or injected?

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I would say you need higher oil pressure and maybe a higher flow pump. It looks like you didn't have enough oil. What oil pump are you running now?

As far as Kendal oil I would not use it. It is not the same Kendal we always had in the past. If you search this forum using Kendal you will find several discussions on it. I would use Valvoline Racing Oil or Brad Penn (the old green Kendal) both of these have additives for use with Methanol

8. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

Let me go out on a limb here,

I don't think you are making enough power where the change in oil quality alone may cause these problems.

On the motor it seems the problem gets worse toward the back of the motor...Are you running a stock 400 crank that requires external balancing with an aftermarket flywheel that does not offer it? is the flywheel and converter running true and is the trans in alignment?

I agree completly with everyone that a single wieght oil is the way to go I just think it is possible that you may have another problem. Also most of the guys ( with all due respect to them ) are used to running high horsepower high boost aluminum block engines where heavy oils are required to take up the extra clearance that these engine require in the bearing to allow for the flexing of components that take place in these motors. I can assure you that there are a lot of engine builders that use thin motor oils with minimal pressure to allow for less drag and more horse power on some engines with over 2 hp per cubic inch, granted they are all using synthetic now so the oil can stand the heat generated.

Just another view,

Richard Gavle

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Richard, I understand were you are coming from but my son has a '70 Chevelle with a all aluminum Brodix 406 SBC block in it with All Pro heads that I built. I believe that the clearance for the rods in that type of motor with that size journals should be at least around .003-.0032 and the crank should be around .0034-.004 with the rear one at least .004. You also need 85-100 psi of oil pressure going down the track. Also I am not sure that multigrade Kendal oil he is using has any inhibitor for alcohol and my have diluted or broken down after a run or two.

The other question is the type of bearings. I would highly recommend V bearing vice H bearing beause with H bearings it is very easy to loose that first meatl layer and get into the copper fast which it appears he did and so went the crank journals. With the solid babbit of V bearings you at least maintain a good bearing surface if you have a problem.

10. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

I have seen promods run on less oil pressure and not hurt anything. Black is def due to a loss of oil, I would check clearances and go from there. I have also seen cars that have good oil pressure up til the end of the run and then they run out of oil due to the engines demand and then its fine again after the run as far as pressure is concerned. How much oil do you run?

11. hotrod 316

hotrod 316 New Member

Thanks again,
    It’s injected,
    10lbs of boost is more than I expected, I had it way de-tuned at 17.2 underdriven.
    Is there a formula to get close for 100extra hp with a 6-71 nonstripped?

The oil pump is a Melling high volume with a Step pan7qt. and one in the filter
    Stock crank, BDS crank hub with extra weight, Hays sfi 400 flexplate,
    32-3500 stall, converter was shimmed out about ¼”
    Good question Trans running true,
    Block has x-long dowel pins in it, trans bolts were all tight
    How did you check the alignment of the motor and Trans.
    Is there a mid point between the motor and trans where the crank would flex more
    I.e. number 3 and 4 main?
    If the line hone or the alignment was off would the thrust bearing show lots of wear?
    Is there TWO problems first, wrong oil, second, something else?
    Lost, why are #3 and 4 bearings crushed so bad is it the oil or lack of oil, first, or more boost than I thought and crushed the bearing, something flexing,
    Great input
    Thanks again just want to look at all possibilities

12. lucky2wd

lucky2wd Member

Is it possible that he hammered the motor ?? What did the plugs look like? I usually see #4 hurt before any of the other mains

13. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Been thinking about and I would suugest that the cause of the problem was the spun #4 main bearing. After that the oil bypassed that bearing and the oil supply for the rest of the motor went from that #4 journal into the pan and then the other main journals lacked oil. I don't think there was any transmission/convertor alignment problem. The reason for #4 main bearing being spun is what you need to figure out. Did it spin because the crush was wrong on the bearing, or was the oil clearance wrong, or did the oil not do its job, or was the pump pressure too low or is their another oil clearance/leak problem somewhere else in the block. One thing to check is on some 400 Chevy blocks under the rear main cap was a oil hole (I think the drivers side) that required a screw in plug to block it off. If that 1/8 NPT (if I remember correctly) is left out then oil flows out of that hole and into the pan reducing oil flow to the rest of the motor. Somewhere I have a book that shows that exact plug location and I will find it soon.

14. hotrod 316

hotrod 316 New Member

Thanks for the continuous input!
    It’s injected
    If the line hone was off would the thrust show lots of wear and/or all the bearings?
    Checked the main saddles today with a straight edge could NOT get .001 feeler gauge in-between the block and the edge
    It’s a Melling high volume pump
    It is a 7qt Stef’s pan with 1 in the filter
    Stock crank with a BDS crank hub with the extra weight
    Hays flexplate with the extra weight
    The motor was balanced with all this.
    The flywheel and converter running true and is the Trans in alignment?
    Great question
    Motor has extra long dowel pins for the Trans, converter is shimmed out about1/4”

I do not know how to check the alignment of the two
    If the alignment was off would you have a weird vibration?
    Would it again shake out all the bearings?
    Yes the bearing was down to the steel backing #4
    We will change the oil and weight

Is there a mid point between the engine and the Trans where there would be more flex i.e. 3 and 4 main??
    1 and 2 mic ok, rods ok
    3 main in the block crushed from .802 to .812
    3 main in the cap crushed from .802 to 813 not spun
    4 main from .802 to .836block
    4 cap from .802 to .832 spun
    If it was just the oil wouldn’t you think that all the bearings would be bad?
    Just trying to understand if the bearings were crushed first from something else or the oil or the oil system failed
    Thanks again
    Steve m.

15. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

Mike;

You think it's possible that the crank is flexing enough tortionally to wipe out his main bearings? He's saying it's a 'stock' crank.

The other issue I'm thinking about is that it's a high volume pump. If the pump doesn't have the proper anti-cavitation machining done, it might not be pumping as much oil as it could, and thus starve the bearings or feed them aerated oil.

16. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

I don't really think this problem is related to the blower. If it was I would expect a rod bearing issue also. The oil weight and amount of oil could be a problem. 7 quarts in the pan isn't near enough. Dave Germain

17. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

Dave,

That's all I'm running in the BBC... 7 quarts + filter with a Titan pump.

18. hotrod 316

hotrod 316 New Member

Thanks all,
    Yes the hole in the block under the rear cap is tapped and plugged.
    The more I thing about this too, I think the bearing has been spun for awhile- it is down to the steel backing completely.
    I believe it's not the blower as well.
    I just need to know how to start eliminating some of the problems (so this doesnt happen again) if possible.
    Thanks
    PS. Here are some pics, to show what the heck I am spending all my money on
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  19. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

I personally try to run more oil rather than less and and heavier oil rather than thinner. I know that this can cause a reduction in horsepower due to the rotating assembly having to whip it's way through the oil. On the other hand I would rather give up some power but keep my engine intact. If a person looks at the oiling diagram for an engine you will see how important lining up the oil holes in the mains with the oil holes in the crank is. A spun main bearing disrupts oiling to more than just that one bearing. I think Hotrod is lucky it didnt take out a rod also. If the initials of your team isn't DSR or JFR any damage can be heart breaking but this could have been much worse. I know that if I was building this motor for myself I would use the Titan pump and try to squeeze another quart into the pan and it wouldn't be anything lighter than 50W in the pan. Dave Germain

20. blutowski

blutowski New Member

its starting to sound like that to me too..... sounds like the oil distribution was interupted at the number 4 bearing, then kinda like dominos it affected the oiling to the rest moving foreward....... im thinkin number 4 is the problem, the rest are a result of the oiling getting messed up there.