Has the clutch seen it's days?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Randy G., Aug 30, 2003.

1. NOBODYUKNOW

NOBODYUKNOW New Member

Hey Randy,

So how long will it be before we see a setup like this in the "Cooner Wire Camaro" ???
    ...and how does DT feel about such a combo???

2. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Have to ask DT. I'm running my car next year.

3. T.Howell

T.Howell Member

If they allowed the Pro Mag Controller, I think the LencoDrive would be worth looking into. The problem I see is you have to control wheel speed with the engine only. If you do it with fuel, it doesn't recover as quickly. If you do it with timing, you have to ramp it back in due to torque multiplication early on.
    A local roots dragster I work on has run .950 and 2.53 to the 330'. Typically it has about 8% converter slippage in the lights.

4. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

T.

We can run a stack of MSD 6 shooters.

RG

5. WANNABE

WANNABE New Member

All the big motor cars that are running Neal Chance bolt togethers are reading right at about 4% slippage through the lights.
    Lots of 3000+ lb. street cars in the mid 6's and a few pro mods real close to the number with those babies. Could be a great way to go for a general set-up. Not sure if it will be a record breaker. (My calculations say they would need a weight break to run the 50's) But probably a great divisional round winner. Time will tell.

6. Great Googly Moogly

Great Googly Moogly Super Comp

I talked with Lenco about the deal, appearently Larry is the east coast dealer for Lenco. You're talking about $9500 for the lenco and another $2000 for the converter.

They did say to give him a call, he would be more than glad to help me out.

7. dak

dak Member

There's also a cmpany in Toronto,Ontario..they have a unit called the big brute..it is supposed to even have a lock up convertor..there deal is mostly 2 speds (i think) but there was a guy running a 3 or 4 speed unit ..I do not know if anyone has tried running one in TAD but I have seen some of them in Top Dragster and Top Sportsman

8. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Do you think NHRA may step in and decide to put some rules on converter cars? Like "No Converter Cars" or "Cars with converters need to have a second firewall." Or, "455 cubic inch max." That's how big Mitch Syder's engine is.

9. Great Googly Moogly

Great Googly Moogly Super Comp

I don't know about NHRA, after the first converter explosion and fire, something will be done. I do know that a converter car would sure shorten the learning curve to be competitive. Now you just have to figure out how to make the horsepower. No weight, no stall, no disks, and on and on…No more tire shake and it would be a lot more forgiving on mediocre tracks. I can attest to that!

10. TJTurner

TJTurner New Member

How do the costs compare - a previous post said $9500 for the trans and $2,000 for the converter. How does that compare to a new 3 speed Lenco and clutch? Also, how do the maintenance costs compare?

11. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

Ron Muenks has run his Lencodrive equipped '63 Corvette Outlaw Pro Mod as quick as 6.096 @ 234.21. He runs a PSI blown 526 CID AJ Olds at 2800 lbs. The Lencodrive can handle power. Converter is a Coan unit. The Lencodrive/Coan combo was developed by Larry Snyder of Snyder Motorsports and Jason Coan for Ron's car. Larry is (pay attention to the spelling RandyG) Mick Snyder's dad.

[ September 13, 2003, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Outlaw Nick ]

12. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

TJ, Ron figures that after including spare clutches, floaters, clutch surfacer, etc.,that it would cost him $30,000 to convert to a Lenco/clutch setup.

13. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Mick, sorry. Et lest Eye speeled convertor wright.

Ti clutch from Crower, $5,200. Spare discs and floaters, $3,500 to start. Ti can, $5,000. Lenco tranny and reverser $6,500. Blanket, air bottles, etc would be needed for either set-up. Plus, added crewmwmber to R&R the clutch every run, disc and floater grinding equipment in the trailer, and of course the mess.

I talked to Gary Sumek and he said for a Lencodrive plus another two speed (to make it a 3 speed), COAN converter, Ti can, etc. it would be a little more than $12,000 for the set-up.

[ September 14, 2003, 04:34 AM: Message edited by: Randy G. ]