Grid and CT with FIE cross over switch question

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Critical Mass, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Member

Hi All,
    My question is: can the Grid ignition switch be on when I attempt to start the motor with the cross-over switch in the mag only position and then switch the cross-over switch to crank trigger? You would think that the Grid/crank trigger would also try to start the motor at the same time? I don't want to hurt the Grid or the FIE cross-over switch.

I'm sure if I give FIE a call they would answer the question, but I would like to share the correct procedure with the rest of us.

Thanks, Joe

2. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

Firstly, yes. While on using the mag as a trigger source, it will fire on the mag relucter as long as power is going to the Grid assuming the Grid is in the circuit. Then when switching over to the crank trigger using it as the trigger source, the grid, as long if it is still part of the circuit will fire the mag. You are only triggering the Grid with either the relucter of the mag or the crank trigger. Since you have a mag, the signal out of the Grid will go back and fire the mag with whatever timing controls that you program into the Grid.

3. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Member

Blownalky,
    Are you saying that the mag relucter takes precedence over the crank trigger signal even when the Grid ignition wire is activated and once the crossover switch is switched to the Grid (crank trigger) the Grid will take control of the mag without any damage to the Grid. Thank you for your reply.
    Joe

4. HootersFunnyCar

You can safely have it all hooked up and working. Both the mag and the grid will produce a signal and the switch determines which one goes to the points box to fire the coil. We do this all the time to check the phasing of the mag with the reluctor then switch over while running to verify the grid program.

Critical Mass likes this.
  5. drew556

drew556 Member

We have the msd switch so I don't know if it's like the fie switch but I believe all you are switching is from the pick up in the base of the mag to the crank trigger pick up so the power would need to be on to the grid because you are using it to fire the car then simply switching from one pick up on the mag to the crank trigger pick up

6. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

The FIE electronic switch is just a relay that picks either the mag or crank trigger (to send the triggering pulse to the Grid) by using a remote toggle switch to control the power to the relay to make it function.