Green Police in Gainesville...either pay to dump your oil or bring it home..

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Feb 18, 2010.

1. camevans

camevans New Member

Our take on this stuff....

Guys, I should post here more often but we're pretty busy and don't get the chance. Everyone at Red Line Oil are HUGE fans of alcohol racing. I've read your thread and understand your frustration. The Green movement is inevitable here. NHRA has to be proactive, racers need to adjust, and suppliers will help where we can.

It's interesting that topic of SafetyKleen's involvement never came up here (unless I missed it). They take recycled oil from race tracks, auto repair faciliites, and other sources and refine it back into "ECO" oils marketed to those that go for this theme. This is a profit center if done correctly, but making sure it's clean of brake cleaners and other additives is important to the process. SafetyKleen is based in Daytona Beach so I'm sure they'll be in Gainesville. Ask them if they are involved here. They are "official" with NASCAR. How far away is a partnership with NHRA?

Backing up Clint Thompson and many of the other racers that buy from us on our decal-pricing programs, you can dramatically cut your oil use and parts wear on our ester-based 60WT and 70WT. Some of our Pro Mod racers get more than 20 runs on a batch using the methods that Clint uses. And, they buy fewer parts. Guys want it free or cheap, but many see that investing in better oil like when we all first switched from a roots blower to a Whipple or PSI blower--the costs seemed to go up, but the service costs, parts attrition and performance went up.

Using products that you have to dump after a run or two just won't work anymore given the eco challenges now presented. Regardless, most of you can bring oil 4-gallon batches to the track in 5-gallon pails or jugs and drain it back into those containers. That solves the problem regardless of whether you get 5 laps out of a batch of oil before heating it up and evaporating the methanol away, or you just need to pitch your Lucas or Valvoline somewhere other than the track. Don't mean to sound like an ad, but many racers here will document this process.

I will be in Gainesville by Friday afternoon to see how all of this goes down. Email me at cameron@redlineoil.com if anyone has insights that we don't see. In summary, we know our stuff recycles without issue and can be re-used more than any other brand on the market.

Back to the Indy Supercross!

Cameron Evans
    Red Line Oil

2. NITRO

NITRO ??

Waste Oil and the NHRA

How about this idea?
    It is not new by a long shot but just stop racing
    at there shows !!
    Do the saturday nite deal at your local tracks,
    like many other racers did back in the day.
    If enough of you racers stoped racing the NHRA big show
    they will take notice!!!
    The NHRA is not the show ! You the racer are the show !!
    Nitro.

3. scorpracer

scorpracer New Member

Going green

How would someone recycle Red Line Oil full of Nitro???

4. camevans

camevans New Member

Nitro isn't as easy to get out but it can be somewhat removed to re-use Red Line for multiple runs. Bill Reichert is getting between 3 and 4 runs on one batch. He brings it back to the shop, heats it up or at least lets it separate, and drains the nitro off the oil. I helps to stimulate the oil with air (use your fuel mixing stick or something like it). You only need to get it between 90f and 150f and it separates and or evaporates pretty well. Some guys have built an apparatus where they pour in the oil, heat it up, and then drain the nitro off with a petcock once specific gravity takes over. You can do it at the track, but it's easier just to drain it back to a jug and do it at the shop.

Most guys that do this buy by the 55gl drum directly from us and get a special deal for running a decal a bit bigger than the contingency, but not so big that it challenges their associate sponsorships.

You won't get as much nitro out compared to alcohol, but it's far better than having to pitch out the entire batch like with other brands. You can't do this with gasoline--that can't be removed.

If you think you're taking any of the antiwear additives out of our oil when you drain off the nitro, use 1/2 bottle of our Engine Break In Additive, as that has big doses of ZDDP and can give you that piece of mind that the hard, hot metal parts are still protected by zinc and other additives.

Hope that helps, Cameron

5. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Great idea. They will do just like they are doing now with low car counts due to the economy. They'll make room for nostalgia funny cars and dragsters, make pro mod a class, couple of jet cars and a wheel stander or two. They'll miss you like they'd miss a hole in the head. Yea, that would show them.

6. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

I wonder if we'll see the Green Police like on the Super bowl commercial in the Pits?

7. Hemi Parts

Hemi Parts Top Fuel

Dumping used oil

Just for the record. If there is anyone in the Fort Worth, Texas area that is either having a problem getting rid of their used oil (legally) or that has to bring their oil home from the track due to all the reasons listed above. I will accept all the waste oil you have at no fee. Please call first to make arrangements.

Bill Ancona
    Bill's Kwik Kar
    817-292-5061

8. jeffj

jeffj Member

OK, there are 2 things I want to know regarding oil and its removal with brake clean.
    First, does this policy apply to track hamburgers and hot dogs, and if so will there be designated disposal areas other than the little blue sheds?
    Second, will the ingestion of non-chlorinated brake clean assist in the removal of the oil from one's system at the expense of making it inelegible for deposit in the requesite little blue shed?
    As collateral questions, is one then to deposit the contaminated sample in the accessory 5 gallon can which is to be supplied for deposit of such non-such? Also, will heating, skimming, filtering or any other activities, either back at the shop or at the race track return the original material to a reusable state?
    Jeff Johnsen

9. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Pyroil

Just heard back from Mike Gruber, Pyroil is ok to use except in CA, NJ and PA.

10. nitrogal1

nitrogal1 Wrench Wench

We were in Bradenton two years ago and that track had rules like this back then. Just to play "Devils Advocate" for a moment....Are we sure it is NHRA forcing these rules on everyone, or are the regulations in Florida prompting this? I may have missed something, but I didnt see anywhere that said we would have these restrictions at ALL events?

11. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

I seem to remember that after a National Event the track always had someone in the bussiness pick up the oil. What happened to that?????

12. konrodz

konrodz Member

they feel that they can charge the racers and then they can refine it and sell it to a end user. double the profit.:cool:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  13. underby6

underby6 Active Member

They're probably just doing this as a way to add more money to the alky purses.......;)

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #44

14. nitrogal1

nitrogal1 Wrench Wench

So has anyone figured out if these are new rules NHRA-wide, or if it is just a Florida issue?

15. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

Brake clean

If pyroil is not allowed in Pa. why is it sold here? Will there be a approved list published of products that are approved and where they can be used? My guess is that we will find out after the fine is imposed on someone.

16. lowcountry71

lowcountry71 New Member

haz mat tutorial

I wonder how many racers found out at 11:00 that they needed a :15 tutorial completed on NHRA hazardous materials before they could sign up national event entry this morning? I t/w the "epa guys" at Gainesville and kept some of their paperwork - it listed that you needed to complete the tutorial - but how did the folks who did not attend Gainesville find out? andy b.

17. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  18. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member