glide input shaft advice

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by vwsamba, Mar 27, 2008.

1. vwsamba

vwsamba Member

on the 8th run of my new FC car i hit the mildest tyre shake 100ft out and the input shaft on the trans snapped.i know from reading old posts that this is a common problem.my question is,is there anything that can be done to prevent/help it from happening again or am i doomed with this setup?.526 KB.14/71 HH@ 0%OD.hooked to a mike's vasco JW glide.1.05 60ft's off idle.the input shaft that snapped looks about the same size and about as strong as one from a vw bug.:eek:does not seem right for this HP level.......thanks for any advise...Miles

2. thjts

thjts New Member

If it's made by a reputable company, it will have their name and part number on it and they SHOULD be interested in why their shaft broke. Having said that, I am beginning to discover some reputable companies don't have very good customer service. Once they've sold you something you're on your own and they don't care because they've already got your money. They don't seem to understand 'word of mouth' is the best (or worse) advertising.

Someone else on here should be able to help you out with the tire shake problem, but it won't be insurmountable. Good luck with it!

3. osolberg

osolberg New Member

PG input shaft

Hi ! We run mid 6's with our dragster. BBC with 14:71 HH and a Powerglide. 1.00 60-ft times. European record holder AA/Dragster. Until last year we also had problems with broken input shafts (Wasco / 300M). Based on advice from JW we bought their "Ringless Promod 2000 HP input shaft". This required also a new stator tubing with a bigger bushing. Mr. Winther said that they had NEVER received a single one of these returned broken. I don't know if a mild (or wild) tire shake would brake this one too, but we have not had any further worries since installing that one. Good luck. Best regards from Norway.

4. Andy C

Andy C Member

Trans

All of us had issues with input shafts… We broke every Trans we had until we switched to http://www.rosslertrans.com/ 6.85 at 210 ¼ 3165lbs… Carl has what you need…
    Good luck
    Andy Cheman

5. BUTCH

BUTCH Member

Glide Info

MILES,
    We run a Monster glide from Mike Stewart @ Mikes Trans 661 723 0081 He makes his own stuff , we run it in a 2100 LBS R.E.D. BBc with a 206D screw set up, we have had a lot of .920's 60 foot and we run it at 6.0, and have beem runing his set up for about 6 years now and I have never had a failure? You may want to give him a call? just my 2 cents , good luck

6. altered boy

altered boy Outlaw Altered

lots of good glide guys out there... but i'd agree talk to mike he is the man. been running one of his for several years with zero problems behind a blown 90% nitro set up in my altered

7. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

ATI Superglide?

I am suprized no one mentioned the ATI superglide3, it has a 1.1875 input shaft. Anyone used this trans? good-bad? Don't want to "lease" it ?

8. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

started out with a mike's great tranny...then had it updated at bnr's in ok.
    this car has been 5.98 240mph and is going on the 3rd season with out one dime spent on it..I just took it apart and is just like new..Dave
    www.myspace.com/daveloweswr

9. 560Jim

560Jim Member

P/g

Hi miles.
    I have a P/G behind a mild 560BBC with 8-71 running 6.9 @ 194 with 1.05 short times. We started with a reasonably good trans and blew it up so many times we could have bought 1 1/2 ready built 2-2500 HP trans for the money. If the budget allows, buying a trans off one of the builders suggested earlier in this thread is a painless and cheap way to go.

If you would like to do it the difficult and expensive way I have extensive experience. If you need more advice on doing it the hard way just let me know on this thread or PM me.
    Cheers Jim

10. vwsamba

vwsamba Member

thanks for all the replies.i AM using a Mike's transmission as i heard good things about him before deciding who to use.i called him today and he said maybe i should go to the ringless shaft as mentioned in one of the posts above.i guess i'll try that update and see what happens.luckily it has'nt cost me too much yet but if it blows again i'll have to think about changing to a different trans...

11. 560Jim

560Jim Member

Input shaft

Hi Miles. When you fit the oversize input shaft you will need to machine out the ID of the stator support shaft. Whether you remove the shaft from the pump or put the whole pump in the lathe, make sure you pin the shaft to the pump housing when you are finished. Not everyone remembers to tell you about this but it is essential. I see on the Rossler trans website mentioned in Andy`s post they "double pin" the shaft. Sounds like a real good idea.
    I have used this oversize shaft this season and it has showed no signs of distress including two meetings with pretty bad tyre shake. Hope this helps.
    Jim:)

12. Jap Tin

Jap Tin New Member

In the March 14th National Dragster the ATI ad says after the 5 year lease you can buy the SG3 for $1 .

13. 359PETE

359PETE New Member

This may not be worth 2 cents but, I ran pg's from the leaders of the industry. Not taking anything away from them ( the best money can buy top notch trans), when the power and blower boost when up I switched to a b & j trans. Their trans are tougher than a gov't mule. John

14. 359PETE

359PETE New Member

This may not be worth 2 cents but, I ran pg's from the leaders of the industry. Not taking anything away from them ( the best money can buy top notch trans), when the power and blower boost went up I switched to a b & j trans. Their tougher than a gov't mule.

15. vwsamba

vwsamba Member

b&j

thanks,that could be worth 200,000 cents to me.that's what i've been thinking about,what is the next level trans to go to.what is involved with the b&j swap?does it need a sfi bellhousing and clutch setup?what's the cost factor?how does it compare to a lencodrive which i know is out of my price range?..thanks again to all for posting,its been really helpful..

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  16. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

i think you can bush the front pump and put a turbo shaft in it it is bigger back when i ran the blown motor and glide i used ati trans and convertor

17. vwsamba

vwsamba Member

$$$$$$$$$

dropped it off at Mike's today and we went over all the options and for now i will have to go with the mike's super duty ringless stock diameter shaft.apparently if i want to upgrade to the larger diameter shaft it means changing everything in the trans to suit($4500)so i'm going with the $650 upgrade and if it breaks again i'll have to sell it and get a whole new transmission...thanks for all the input. Miles behind............

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008