Give the blown cars more BLOWER! Immediately!

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Apr 4, 2006.

1. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

This is so typical. One BAD on the property and everyone freaks out. A lot of the best racers now have A-Fuelers. If Santos was still running we would all be talking about how to slow down the blown cars. Quit whining! The best part is that any of the true racers don't bother posting garbage on this site, they are too busy trying to make their car go faster. If you think the nitro deal is better than switch. The rules are what they are. Most of the racers that are serious about winning a championship have switched to A-fuel because they want to win now and they felt their best option to do that was with that combo. The rest of the people that are still whining don't have a chance of winning a championship anyway. So instead of whining about how much money it costs to race and not have a chance to win then switch to super gas or something. This class is the only other class that's on TV besides the pro's. So, if you can't afford to be competitive and pick the combo that is most likely to win then leave, because the rest of the people don't care, they're trying to win a championship, not just make a few insignificant laps. So let the people at the top of the class make the decisions and the rest can either start buying nitro or racing gas for their 69 camaro's. I know you all think I'm out of line but I'm just telling it like it is.

2. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

"weight" here long enough and someone will tell you.

3. bulldog6

bulldog6 A/Fuel #4

Glad nobody took the bet! Only took 8 hours to make 3 pages!!

Gotta love the TAD!

4. Lee Callaway

Lee Callaway The Gov

ch3n02 I would hope your not running your mouth directly at me cause if you are will take this up in person . Talks cheap anyway i want to speed up the blown car not slow the a/f combination.

5. eli

eli Banned

Put em up, put emmm up, i`ll fight you with one hand tied behind my back!, i`ll fight you hopping on one leg, come on Lee get a grip, every one just wants to get this right.

6. nitroclovers

nitroclovers New Member

I love the diversity of the class. I don't want either side to disappear. What is going to happen on those hot humid summer days? Will the A/Foolers still be able to run their low 20's?

7. John Haley

John Haley Alcohol Dragster

I think Blown cars for the most part are quicker than they were 4-5 years ago. At least mine is, it was a good low 5.40 car and a best of 5.38 when i got it in 2002 and was # 2 to Rick Santos in 2001. Now it is a 5.30's car and a best of 5.29. So please tell me what blown cars have slowed down when you make that statement ?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  8. John Haley

John Haley Alcohol Dragster

I'll take more Blower over drive or less nitro for the a/fuelers for a fix now and see what happens. Lets get real with the % drop this 1 % at a time is not doing it. I didn't notice the heat slowing the a/fuel cars much last year. Also last year the same was said(you blown cars should just wait for the heat in mid season before you complain, that will slow the a/fuel cars for sure) Well they did not slow down much.

9. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

its only make believe

yeah, well, just think how fast bill walsh would be running with his blown car if he was still running, or bill barney (rip) etc, etc....smart as they were, they would be running 4.90's with a roots blower by now....blah blah blah.

the santos team is basically back, minus driver. if you think sean is that green that you put rick in that car and magically it goes from 5.31 in pomona to 5.21 or 5.20 anything, you're crazy. they run that thing on wreck, and it's the top blown car right now. these what if comparisons just don't hold water to someone objectively looking at the situation. the reason why the blown cars haven't progressed is that technology hasn't been allowed to change. the main technology peice of the blown alcohol combination is the blower. there have been marginal gains in the efficiency of the current blower, marginal gains in flow on the heads, but for all intensive purposes, technology has been capped. i guess everyone in tafc is dumbasses as well, bc nobody has ran a 5.51 that payne ran in chicago in 2004. hmmmm, wait that was the same race haley ran his lone .29. every 5.20 that has ever been ran by a blown car has been in a mineshaft....not 'good' air, a freakin mineshaft...below sea level corrected. the air was 1500+ all weekend.

leave the a/fuelers alone, and untie the blown cars hand
    s...thats all i'm asking! 125 od as a temp fix, c blower for '07. watch the blown cars come out the woodworks then...and people will refer to the late 'ohs' as the glory days of modern tad....

10. ITS IN MY BLOOD

I Know....

Why Dont You All Run A Dial In, And Turn This Into
    A Bracket Class....lmfao

So Much For This Being A Heads Up Class, Run What You
    Bring....run It To The Stripe Or Go Home.
    This Is Compitition....if You Have The Money To Run Faster
    Your More Likely To Win More.....
    Low Funded Teams With Out The Funding Only Come
    Out To Run Because They Love To Race And They Can,...
    ....so Quit Whineing Because Your Money
    Cant Fund A .2o...let Alone A 5.30

11. alky racer

alky racer New Member

Anyone else get tired of the what if O'Bannon was there coments. We all need to get a grip on the fact he was not so none of us know how well they would of run. From what I saw based on air alone the conditions at Houston were much better than Pomona almost 2000' better than when a blown car went .31 and another one went .35. The track might not have been as good and the particles of water must have been a lot higher. But there were no top blown cars there so who knows and who cares. Lee not putting you down at all just have not seen you put the big numbers down yet. Houston is done and gone so lets all get focused on Vegas where I think you will see a blown car come home with wally. I would even be willing to bet on number one qualifer being a blown car. O'Bannon, Demke, Federlin, Severance, Johnson the best in the west will all be there lets see what it brings. My guess 5.36 from a blown 269 mph. Good luck to all but the speculation has to end!

12. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

Unfortunately imho I dont think NHRA cares what the blown alcohol racers think. Or what either of the alcohol classes ( tad or tafc ) think period. While its sad to see guys like Lee Calloway and Guy Kelly park their rides, NHRA isnt going to lose any sleep over it, nor cry a tear. Its just two less cars at a race. Somebody will race in their place or make the field due to their absence. I dont have a magical wand to wave to come up with the solution but it would nice to see a nice mix of cars in the dragster class. NHRA really screwed up the dragster class a few years ago but doing away with the majority of the weight breaks. Id dont know about any of you but I liked the idea of a SBC with a PSI running along with the Hemi cars and the A/Fuel cars and turbo cars on occasion. Thanks NHRA, ya fricken idiots :p Vegas oughta be interesting, 12 of 26 cars resigtered are A/Fuel, guess we shall see what happens. Just my 02 from a TAFC can guy :D

13. nitroclovers

nitroclovers New Member

What would it take to put on an "outlaw" event for alcohol cars?

14. Smokey

Smokey New Member

"Fatuous Frankie", It's interesting how you bad-mouth the NHRA and also state how you "don't have a magic wand to wave to come up with a solution". Perhaps you should attempt to learn more about both combinations and come up with a halfway intelligent suggestion rather than render "fatuous" statements.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  15. Will Hanna

Staff Member

tune-up

if nhra is indeed committed to maintaining an equal playing field, then an adjustment should be made. we all dream up the perfect tuneup for our cars over the offseason, and sometimes that first tuneup doesn't work. would any of us just keep on running that tune-up all year if it didn't work? no, we would make adjustments until it was right.

i don't think anyone can say there's parity right now without a bunch of what if's. we heard the wait till summer line last year, and there's no reason to believe the cars that ran well in the heat will once again dominate when the heat rolls around.

125 might be a temporary fix that can be implemented immediately. it will give an effective test to how close the extra boost will put the blown cars to current a/fd performance. if disparity still exists, the c blower would be the next move for 2007. if it gives the blown cars too much, od or weight can be adjusted on the blown cars.

i am confident nhra will review the issue and do the right thing.

16. Will Hanna

Staff Member

re: callaway

alkyguy, i think you are short changing callaway a bit. he don't get outside of div 4 much, so he doesn't get the opportunity to run much of the other 'top' blown cars. he's outrun guy kelly, and he out qualified marty thacker and john haley in dallas last year. in 2002 he qualified No. 4 in indy in what was then the quickest field ever. no, he's not at o'bannon's level, but he's definitely comparitive to demke, thacker, federlin and other top tier blown cars. if you noticed the blown tafc's only ran a 5.60 in the humid air of houston, so to run 5.40/264 would have easily put him in the mid .30's in gainesville or pomona's drier air.

17. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

i realize that my opinion doesn't really count for much on this board, but i have to give it once in a while. i do not race a top alcohol car, i hope and dream to be able to afford to do so someday. we race an altered about 8-10 races a year in basically a heads up quick 8 circuit.www.protopoutlaws.com
    it is basically a roots ta/fc combo. i have been following the top alcohol classes for over 20 years, and they have always been my favorite.
    there will never be parity when you have different combinations in a class. there will always be 1 or 2 cars with each combo that figures it out better than the others, that's just the way it is. i agree that there has to be something done, but i do not think the a/fuel combo has reached its full potential yet. do you slow them down again? you have slowed them down, or tried to for about the last 10 years it seems. i remember when gene adams went that 5.77 at 253 and stunned everyone. nhra added a 1/2 pound per cube to the a/fuelers. brooks brown comes out and runs 5.63 and they got another 1/2 pound. then the guys figured out how to lug the motors and get 'em to run. then they figured out how to make a smaller motor run,etc.
    do you give the blown cars more o.d? bigger motors? who knows. i do know 1 thing, and that is that nhra really doesn't care about the class as much as you think. take a look at the payouts to win a race. what do you win for the championship? $37,500....give me a break.
    on to the santos saga....i have to agree with will, santos isn't going to jump back in the o'bannon car and magically pick it up. everyone knows they run that thing on melt anyways......just not going to happen. i think there have been 5-6 cars that have ever ran 20's with a blower....ever. there have been 5 a/fuelers that have ran 20's this year alone. there have only been 3 nationals so far....doesn't seem to equal as of right now. everyone says wait till the heat, the a/fuelers will slow down. sure they will, as well as the blown cars. as far as who has had the edge over the last 4 years, well just look and see who won the most races. a/fuel ... this whole wait 'till it gets hot thing isn't true. most of the races are in the hot months. you get points for winning rounds, generally who ever wins the most rounds wins the championship. when you can have 4 different drivers in the last 4 years win the championship in a/fuel cars, that tells me that combination has the upper hand. it's not like having the same car winning for 4 years in a row. these championships were won despite all the rule changes. this is just my opinion, i'm not trying to make anyone mad, but the classes aren't equal, and they never will be.

18. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

fat·u·ous
    1. Vacuously, smugly, and unconsciously foolish. See synonyms at foolish.
    2. Delusive; unreal: fatuous hopes.

Smokey,

What in my statement sounded like any one of the definitions above? Am I wrong in mentioning that NHRA doesnt care about the blown cars or that NHRA would miss racers like Guy Kelly or Lee Callaway if they chose to park their rides and not compete? If NHRA did in fact care so much about what the blown alcohol racers thought, they might untie the hands of the BA racers and give them the means run with the A Fuel cars. I dont feel that they should inhibit the performance of the fuelers, I say let the BA racers have the ability to run the parts and pieces required to run with the fuelers.

NHRA a few years back eliminated some of the weight breaks and all but elimianated any other types of cars to run competively ie Rick Santos and Dale Halls small block cars, any turbo or nitrous assited cars. Granted those cars were in the minority but it took away some of the variety that the class once had.

As for NHRA not caring what the alcohol racers think in general. I have a recent example of how NHRA doesnt care. We were slated to run first round in Houston at 4:15. Now I know things dont always go as planned but we got pushed back and waited while Pro Mod and Super Comp ran. Uh excuse me, but the alcoh0l cars are more prone to issues as the track cools and goes away at night, why not let the likes of Super Comp or SUper Gas get pushed back and let the alcohol cars run. Nope didnt happen. We ran somewhere around 6 or so. Nothing like being treated like step children. And any complaints would fall on deaf ears. Kinda funny me ragging on Super Comp because up until 2 years ago I was a Super Comp racer but you get my point.

Whether I have extensive knowledge on the combos or not, I dont have a magic wand to fix the problem, do you have all the answers? I am enititled to my opinions, even though I am not on a dragster team. I have friends that run both types, I dont pick sides. I would just like to see it so more blown racers such as Lee Callaway or Guy Kelly dont have to park their rides or change to A Fuel just to remain in the game. A friend of mine who was a perennial top 10 player nationally and two time Division champ reluctantly switched over to A fuel to try to remain competive. Even with one of the best tuners in the business she saw the writing on the wall. Not what she wanted to do but she did it anyways.

As for Vegas, well we will wait and see. You have a track with a base elevation of around 2200-2500 feet. Temps are suppoed to be in the upper 70s this weekend. 12 of the 26 pre entered cars are A Fuel. Lets see what some of the best blown cars in the coutry can do.

Now I say again smokey, what in my previous statement was smug, foolish, delusive or unreal?

19. afuelfreak

afuelfreak New Member

Will

HEY WILL , what happens when that whole blower thing , dosent do the job , i should say " if" and those blowers are not gonna be cheap , what is plan b , i think some body should @ least try first & also a-fueler should try 90% also in a real test session with real nhra people their the ones that count on a monday after a national & use the cars from semi"s & final ,

20. nitroclovers

nitroclovers New Member

As an outsider, one who isn't racing Top Alcohol, what are the figures, $ wise, as to changing A/Fool to run a different %, and B/AD to run a different blower combination?