Getting Rid Of The Oil In The Valve Covers

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by shimaneed, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

One of the bigger problems I have experienced with my hemi TAFC is burning pushrod cups and adjusters. I also know that heat kills valve springs. The nascar guys use an oil spray system to keep their valve springs up on pressure throughout a 500 mile race. I would rather have the oil in the valve covers than wrapped around the crankshaft. It would lubricate and protect some parts and it isn't slowing the crank. Keeping the crank from having to whip through the oil in the pan is the reason there is a horsepower increase in a dry sumped engine.

2. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

hp and oil

while we have yet to proove anything on the track, in terms of horsepower, as chuck mentioned in an earlier post, having the valve train in a submerged environment definitely has a horsepower robbing effect. snyder effectively scavenges from the valve covers with the valve spring oiler covers. the oilers help dissapate heat as well as supplement oiling.

aside from horsepower, we're also working on the problem of losing oil pressure in shutdown. this is in part to all of the oil being in the top of the motor at the end of a run vs the pan where your pickup is and definitely not in the oil tank. so with two scavenge points we're trying to get the oil back into the system where it can be used, as opposed to the top of the motor, where it is out of the supply loop.

i'll keep everyone posted.

3. AlkyIndian

AlkyIndian New Member

I had a local So.Cal match racer Alcohol/FC driver telling me about their bearing problems due to lack of oil on shut down. I recc he use a 2 or 3 quart accu-sump. They did and their problems were cured. Would this be a problem for you because of the extra weight or something? Seems like an easy cure, but maybe there's other considerations I'm not hip to. I race Super Stock.

Is that Randy G. Randy Goodwin? If so you know me from WAY back..!
    Gene Stinnett ring a bell?

4. J-Drag

J-Drag T/C

Interesting topic.
    Welcome to the board Gene.
    John

5. bryanbrown

bryanbrown Member

Snyder Valve Covers

Will,
    I looked on Snyder's website at their valve covers, and I don't understand what they do different than normal to get oil to the springs. The picture only showed the top of them, so I couldn't see the underside. Care to explain?
    thanks
    bryan