Fuel setup change by going to a taller rear gear?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by BBFA_Pilot, Jun 25, 2012.

1. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

Mike let the cat out of the bag..what is the secret.Dave

2. B.DOUCET

B.DOUCET New Member

After 2500+ post....and now we have secrets?

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Wow, didn't see that. Went over 2500 posts.
    Just to let you know my philosophy, I believe there are a lot of things that I have either learned the hard way or have been passed down to me by close friends or I have figured out based on by engineering background that should be passed on to all to prevent engine damage or to make racing more fun. I hold somethings as just secret which includes things from teams or cars that I tune or help with. There are also tricks that me and my engineering buddies have figured out ourselves that I hold as secret. I just will not divulge these secrets.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  4. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

There's got to be something that will sway you: Ice Cream, candy, BEER! Ha ha, just kidding. I can respect and appreciate your stance. Thanks for all the valuable info you have shared with everyone through the years. Not blowing up your stuff does make racing more fun. ;)

5. Vhodoo Racing

Vhodoo Racing New Member

This has been a very interesting and informative thread. Definatley something to be learned by a relative newbie (me) and something to be reminded of for some of the old hands...

Worst part is someone has to damage something to learn about this great info

Cheers Pete

6. TOL

TOL Active Member

The only true way to know what's going on, power wise, and whether the tune is truly optimal during a run, is to measure the environment within the combustion chamber per cycle per degree relative to crank angle and valve events. Everything else external, including WBEGO's, sort of estimates what's needed. A constant AFR may not in fact be optimal at all times, and in fact is probably not most of the time. Data points are really referenece points. They can tell you where you are versus where you want to be, but none of them are absolutes on their own.........

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

TOL, sorry guy but that is all theory. We can't afford the bucks or the weight of having sensors on the motor that can measure internal happenings every degree of crankshaft rotation. If you say a constant AFR is not correct then it is only off by a little bit and a constant AFR at the optimum power AFR is way better than most fuel curves used by a majority of racers.

8. B.DOUCET

B.DOUCET New Member

I agree Mike.

9. FUEL749

FUEL749 Member

So a heavily loaded engine DOESN'T burn more fuel than a lightly loaded engine?

10. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I don't think we ever have what is considered a lightly loaded engine in drag racing except for idle and staging.

11. FUEL749

FUEL749 Member

Maybe not lightly loaded, but isn't there times when the load changes based on track conditions?

12. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Yes but doesn't change the AFR. We do that with changes to timing. You can also richen the AFR to take out power

13. aaa2643

aaa2643 New Member

Engine RPM

If you have a B/F ratio that you are using and you load the motor with either ratio or clutch and you do not have the power pull it, two things can happen. The car speed maybe the same (not ET) in low gear because the ratio made that up, but the engine RPM is down. If the engine rpm is too low the boost at that RPM will be higher due to car speed, and the B/F ratio will change. If the boost is 2 lb higher at RPM point it would need and extra 0.8G??