Fuel cooling allowed the same as 2008

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Just received an email from NHRA stating that the maxiumum nitro percentage will be 94% and the fuel cooling policy will be the same as 2008.

You may cool the fuel until you leave your pit area. No filling of the tank after leaving the pit area. Fuel tank/fuel may be "trimmed" in the staging lanes.

Expect a rules revision on NHRA.com clarifying this next week.

So fire up the freezers boys.....

Well, at least now if I have a hot 12 pack, I know I can bring it to the nearest AF pit and get it cold quick....

2. MaineAlkyFan

MaineAlkyFan Active Member

So what do the rules say about fuel tank construction?

Stainless steel and carbon fiber are better insulators than aluminum, which would keep the fuel cooler from the pit to the hit.

I'd assume carbon fiber is non-approved for fuel tanks, but stainless might be worth the weight hit for a few degrees...

3. Will Hanna

Staff Member

shades of grey

I'm sure the next grey area will be what exactly constitutes a non insulated tank?

Fuel cells are allowed, so who's to say the next big thing will be some sort of molded plastic tank made out of a plastic that has a low thermal transfer. Then call it a 'fuel cell'....

4. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

!!Stupid Ruleing!!!

Makes a lot of sense doesn't it. Take 2% away from a-fuel cars and then allow them to put slush into tank just before staging. Its over my head or as OBama says it's above my pay grade!! This is a whole new can of worms for all racers as everyone will have to do it. It will take an extra crew guy just to keep track of the fuel cooling and preperation. Just what is needed.
    Once again NHRA had extensive conversations with the racers before reversing their earlier decesion.
    Line up for your fuelfreezers guys. At least all of you who don't presently own one.
    Guess I need to find out what the proper cooling tech. is hu.

5. baux

baux fuel altereds forever

Really

COME ON WILL... After all the b.s. you started over the fuel chilling what A/FUEL team is gonna let you use there COOLER, let alone let you in there pit. HAHA

6. afuelracer

afuelracer Member

cool fuel

exactly!! who would?? now maybe you should send a email on slowing the blower cars. Will

7. fuelslut

fuelslut New Member

at least i'll still have a job, i get to use my beer chilling expirence, chilling nitro.
    i can see it now, by the end of the year i'll have worked my way up to tires.

8. Will Hanna

Staff Member

cooler

well, first off it's rare I show up to the track unprepared with beer not iced down by the end of the day. on the rare occasion, i got plenty of AF friends, so if someone wants to be a jackass, i'll just move to the next trailer...:eek::D

9. eli

eli Banned

Is an insulated fuel tank allowed?;) Tank witin a tank with great stuff to insalate?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  10. fuelslut

fuelslut New Member

Fuel System
    Fuel lines should be isolated from driver compactment by a subfloor or housing where engine is located in rear and fuel tank is in front of driver. Pressurized fuel tanks prohibited. Fuel tanks must be mounted above bottom framerail. Fuel cells permitted. Maximum two fuel pumps. Electronic or electically controlled fuel system prohibited. The use of propylene oxide and/or nitrous oxide is prohibited. For ease of NHRA fuel check, an inline drain valve and the return circuit from the barrel valve is required. Artificial cooling and/or heating of fuel prohibited. Fuel gauge lines in the drivers compartment must be steal or steal braided with steal fittings. Flexible gauge lines in the drivers compactment must be hydrostatically pressure tested at 750 PSI for 30 seconds and labeled. Label must be impervious to fuel and brake cleaner. See general regulations 1:5 and 1:6.
    page 191 2009 NHRA Rulebook................

i don't see anything about a insulated fuel cell.

11. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Since they were bent on making a rule change, it should have been either/or...not both. Either a lower percentage or no chilling. Both would have been too big of a hit IMHO.

12. Will Hanna

Staff Member

Page 249 General Regulations 1:5 Tanks

Insulated fuel tanks prohibited.

13. baux

baux fuel altereds forever

Will, how do you get beer in the track period, they dont let spectators bring in ALCOHOL:D:D

14. fuelslut

fuelslut New Member

ha, i thought it was there somewhere, i shoulda kept looking!

15. Will Hanna

Staff Member

and then there's...

and then there's always snyders or hiratas if you don't have a beer.....:D:D

16. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

I guess we won't see any "5-day" Fuel Cells from Igloo and Coleman then. :D

17. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Thinking about a double wall fuel tank for safety reasons. Also inlet fuel lines.
    Think they would buy this one???
    How about an igloo on your golf cart and fill the tank just before entering stageing lane and hurring to be one of the first cars to run at divisional races.
    This whole fuel chilling thing is not racing and the intent of the rule wheather NHRA wants to inforce it is that the fuel will not be cooled. If the fuel as run is different than the norm or ambient then it has been chilled. Is that so hard?

18. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

What about modified keg-erators? Just don't fill your cup with the wrong tap!

19. KAMAKAZEE TAD

Make it simple...

Like my older and wiser brother always said "don't read what the rule book says...read what the rule book DOESN'T say!!"
    Just make things simple, once you have to pour the chilled fuel into your tank, don't get into a war of what the tank is made of or a double walled tank etc. just install some simple verticle straps btw. the upper and lower frame rails that do nothing......except hold solid ice blocks that can be slid out just before your prep for your run! No significant added weight, they could be built by taping a few of those plastic freezable blocks you can easily purchase anywhere. (Our tank is mounted up front, that's kinda what I'm picturing).
    Do you think that would work? or did I miss something in the rule book too?
    :D

20. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

I know it's a different sanctioning body, but if I remember correctly the IHRA rule book has a line in it somewhere that says "Just because it doesn't say you cant doesn't mean you can." NHRA could cover themselves pretty good with a line like that right in the front of the book lol.