front drive conversion a bbc

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by suddendebt, Sep 25, 2010.

1. suddendebt

suddendebt Blown Altered

Okay here is what i have,

standard bbc 468 cast iron so on and so forth, reg height deck.
    I want to know what it takes to make it a front drive mag setup.
    I have an RCD idler bracket that is about 3/4 to 1" off the front to make the line up with the blower. I am going to put an 8-71 bds front discharge on it. Mag is a mallory mag III

What do I need to buy/make to do this? Who makes the stuff? who do you recommend I buy from? What does everyone else have on this chevy stuff?

Thanks all.

2. crdafoe

crdafoe Member

If you're running a wet sump oil pump, first you'll need a oil pump drive plug like this one:

http://www.rbssuperchargers.com/Store_Detail.cfm?ID=151366&InfoID=3921

Then you can get either a dual or triple front drive unit. Dual drive will drive the fuel pump and mag. Tri drive adds a dry sump oil pump. RCD and Dunn are two of the better known manufacturers of these units, but there are others also.

http://www.rbssuperchargers.com/Store_Detail.cfm?ID=151365&InfoID=3921
    http://www.rbssuperchargers.com/Store_Detail.cfm?ID=221751&InfoID=3921
    http://www.rbssuperchargers.com/Store_Detail.cfm?ID=145836&InfoID=3921

JR at RBS is a good one to talk to about it.

Chris

3. blown375

blown375 New Member

4. Dave Koehler

Dave Koehler Member

And don't forget that RCD now has one that slips in between the extension and the pump.
    Similar idea to the Pioneer but puts the mag in front of the belt, negating having to space the drive out if it is too close to the block.

5. suddendebt

suddendebt Blown Altered

Great replys so far!

Dave I have seen that one you speak of and it seems to be about the quickest and simple one so far.

Keep em coming, How about some issues that everyone has run in to also?

6. nitrowannabe

nitrowannabe Member

How about the Enderle dual drive on the fuel pump extension. The Mill Road Boys use that on their 5 sec. Chevy FED. Drives a Waterman and a 44 MSD.

7. suddendebt

suddendebt Blown Altered

Is there a web site that this is sold on?

8. nitrowannabe

nitrowannabe Member

I don't know if they are still available from Enderle. There was a used one on the Good Vibrations web site. They have different gearsets to OD,UD and Straight up. I might have a complete one.

9. crdafoe

crdafoe Member

10. hotrodharlkey

hotrodharlkey New Member

i have the summers bros front mag drive with the supermag111 on my bbc;;i have the dedenbear water manifold that fit perfect behind bag drive with no modifying[wet block];;if you need i can send you close-up pics and measurements of it;;just let me know..
    don
    badtoyzz racing

11. crdafoe

crdafoe Member

Enderle dual drive fitment problems

I totally had a brain fart earlier, forgot to post my reason for not liking the Enderle dual drive setup. The main problem with the Enderle Dual drive is that the centerline is too close. So it is darn near impossible to run a Enderle 110-body sized pump (like a 110, 990, 1100, 1200, etc) and a Mallory or MSD mag on the unit. It will only fit an 80a pump with that adapter setup that I posted the link to. The only way to get a larger pump and mag is to machine a bunch off the pump body, then you can only orient it (clocking) a certain way to make it fit.

However, there is a better solution coming soon. I heard that Fuel Injection Enterprises (www.fuelinjectionent.com) will be selling a brand new design dual pump drive with wider spacing very soon. It will fit a 110-bodied pump and large housing magneto right out of the box. Apparently they're being manufactured right now but won't be available for a month or two. And i've been told that they will be *WAY* less expensive than a RCD or Dunn front drive.

Hope that helps

Chris

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  12. suddendebt

suddendebt Blown Altered

Hod rod, Send the pics to me please, bob2003g@aol.com

Chris keep us posted on your little birds updates, this sounds kinda promising.

13. Dave Koehler

Dave Koehler Member

Concerning the Enderle gear drive. The big pump clearance is a real issue but has been solved by moving the mag forward so the body would clear the pump and shutoff bracket.

Here is one that I helped design and Enderle produced. It does need a support from the mag body to the block to avoid shake/breakage issues.

I am going a different direction now and I may part with it and the drive.

Enderle makes a lot of neat, strange stuff that no one ever knows about since they never advertise. For that matter I would need to call to see if they ever put this into production.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

BBC Offset Drive

I use a Sitko drive, its one of the best I have seen, a lot of good features. (oversized pump drive hex, cam hub has twice the number of holes as others I have seen) Very nice piece. Here is a link just choose Sitko drive.

http://www.goodvibesracing.com/magneto_offset_drives.htm

We use that mag drive with a Milodon gear drive, works great.

Corey

15. Bobby Cottrell

Bobby Cottrell New Member

call my cousin jessica at good vibrations.I have a sitgo on my dragster works great!(562)945-7669

16. Iron Mike

Iron Mike New Member

Don,
    I have the Summer Bros drive.
    I mounted the block mount idler bracker behind the mag drive with just the 6mm (0.250inch) plate behind it. I then extended the blower snout and crank 0.250 or 0.500??? (new extended cranck support) and then spaced the idler pully out to suit (0.750 maybe) so that I had it all in close and solid. there isn't much clearance between the drive and the belt but it is enough

17. James D

James D New Member

Go with the Sitko it is slick and George can even make it with the extension as long and or short as you want.

18. nmro2114

nmro2114 Member

I use the dual RCD. No issues for 7 years now. You just need a lot of room up front.

19. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Although I've never done it I've highly considered putting the fuel pump under the blower in the ignition distributor hole and the mag straight out the front of the cam.

I was looking for a "shorter" motor and after considering $, trying to keep the belt as close as possible to the #1 main bearing and a shorter packaged engine, I thought this was the way to go.

The pump, since not timed, would be quicker to reinstall when the intake needs to come off.
    The mag wires should be able to go to the inside of the blower belt, no need to remove wires or fuel lines when changing a broken belt.
    This way there are no worries about a belt in an offset mag drive breaking or the timing being changed by a flexing camshaft.

20. Prowlinjohn

Prowlinjohn New Member