First Blown Alcohol Build

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by topdragster, Mar 28, 2010.

1. topdragster

topdragster New Member

Hey guys,

First, I've been an avid reader of this forum for well over a year now and thank you all for the knowledge I've gained. Now (thankfully) I'm ready to jump in as I am about to begin building my first blown alcohol deal.

This will be a blown BBC/powerglide deal going in a top dragster that I'd like to ultimately run in the low 6's.

So I'm looking initially for everyone's thoughts on the block. I'm leaning toward an aluminum block for the cooling benefit over iron (I won't be running any coolant). Your thoughts on Iron vs. aluminum?

Also, any suggestions on brand? I'm leaning toward going with a Dart block but would appreciate any input on the other popular brands you guys like.

Thanks all.

2. Danny Humphreys

engine

Save yourself time, money, and frustration. Buy a hemi. You can find a good used motor with older fuel heads and make plenty of power, parts are easier to get, less expensive, just a better deal all around. I've been there, trust me you'll never look back.

3. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

Motors

Hemi all the way. performance + money. If your up @ Div. 1 top dragster races, come by You can look @ my car. If you have any questions. Be glad to help in any way I can. Need all the blown fast top dragsters we can get. Good luck Don

4. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

Make sure which ever way you go you use an alum block
    Cast is to rigid and will not flex, end result cracks
    alum allows it to move around enough to prevent this

There is a butt load of used hemi stuff out there to use
    may be the most efficient use of your money

5. topdragster

topdragster New Member

Thanks

You guys are the best. Thanks for the quick feedback. Hemi it is. I'll follow your lead.

Don, thanks for the offer. I'll take you up on it when the opportunity presents itself.

Cary

6. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

hemi,the only way:D..Dave

7. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

Another for the Hemi! We're ford guys, always have been. But there's a point where you have to choose whether you want to be unique, or competitive. Unique is fun for a while, but when it comes to horsepower, practibility, and longivity....there's only one choice. And the proof's all around you. Welcome to the club. :cool:

Josh

8. blown375

blown375 New Member

Don't build a Hemi ! I made that mistake! I use to run a smallblock chevy and the Hemi is way more boring !!! :eek: with not much to do during the week and between rounds... other than figure out how much power to take out of it next round !

9. Eric N/FC

Eric N/FC Member

Go for a Hemi! There is plenty of parts in the pits if you need something at the track, cheap stuff from pro-teams etc etc..
    Spend some time to see what parts are compatible so you dont end buying old hemi stuff with hard-to-find spare parts.

Dont buy the 1st cheapest stuff you come across, I did that and in the end it costed me more.

Good luck!!!!:p

10. Scouder

Scouder New Member

You could not have said it better. This is exactly why I gave up on my Fords and got in the Hemi game.

-Brian

11. REEHL EQUIPMENT

REEHL EQUIPMENT Authorized Merchant

But who should he call to buy parts from?

12. topdragster

topdragster New Member

More Thanks

Guys-
    Thanks again for the continued input and support. You've turned an old (and I do mean OLD) Chevy guy around. Can't wait to start this project.

And yes, any suggestions on reliable (used/new) parts sources would be much appreciated. I know (from painful experience) a buck saved today could mean two spent tomorrow so I'm not looking for the big bargains but do have a budget I've got to mind-or answer to the wife! On that note, what's a realistic hat to pan $$$$ number to build a competitive blown alky top dragster hemi? I'm thinking it'll need around 1800-2000hp? Don't want to lean on it too hard to get there, if possible.

Thanks again!

13. Scouder

Scouder New Member

How could I be so forgetful.

Step one: Decide to build a hemi.
    Step two: Call Robert Reehl for the necessary parts.
    Step three: Go fast.

I highly suggest not buying a complete engine. I did, and it was a mistake. The parts I was told were brand new and in perfect shape weren't. Robert helped educate me and got me the stuff I needed. See the steps above for the proper procedure. See the yellow banner to the right of this post.

Is that better Robert? :D

-Brian

14. blown375

blown375 New Member

Dick Gaylord ? Sal Ramos ? LOL :D

Just kidding ... Robert Reehl has a point , try to buy from him and Jr at RBS superchargers and Manton and the other sponsors of this site to keep all this free information alive !

I have bought products from most of the sponsors of this site and I have been happy with all of them ! ;)

15. topdragster

topdragster New Member

Agreed. The sponsors of this site deserve our support. I'll do my part and know already I'll be in good hands.

16. topdragster

topdragster New Member

Brian,

I like your three step program-simple so I can follow it!

Step One : Done. I'm building a Hemi.
    Step Two: Robert Reehl-expect my call (for parts) and likely more questions than you've bargained for!!!!

Cary

17. promodracer

promodracer Member

Reehl

Does Reehl have a website i can troll occasionally for parts. I seem to view websites more and more now days.
    Thanks

18. vwsamba

vwsamba Member

you can get great deals on complete engines just agree to look inside it before buying or see it run. i bought and sold my hemi for $15k, raced for a season and did nothing but change oil and :)'d.
    another thumbs up here for reehl. great for parts and advise.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  19. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Go Chevy!

Ouch, this thread sure is hard on chevy:eek:

Sorry, I had to say something:)

20. REEHL EQUIPMENT

REEHL EQUIPMENT Authorized Merchant

Every year, I have a lot of customers switch from a Chevy to a hemi, never the other way around!