Fire Suit

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by WJ Birmingham, Feb 15, 2008.

1. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

whatever brand you decide to go with, i would definately recomend the CARBON X material. it's lighter, and protects alot better. i may think differently that alot of people, but i want more than i HAVE to have when it comes to safety. we all know the risks when we get in these cars, and sometimes it takes a reality check every once in a while ( like Tony P at Pomona) for us to remember this. sometimes you can have the best of everything and still get hurt. DON'T SKIMP ON SAFETY......PERIOD.
    Darren Russell

2. blown375

blown375 New Member

Thats not true! they are also good on a stick and with pork fried rice!

3. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

Ok, the only company I can find showing "Carbon X" is the original Simpson company, and they only show it in underwear.

Simpson = Signature Knit Nomex®

Taylor = "Nitro X" on gloves/shoes, but doesn't show anything on their website for suits.

Stroud = Doesn't list materials

Phoenix = Doesn't list materails

Impact (New Simpson) = "Ultra Lightweight Gloss Nomex"

What other companies am I missing? I hate it when companies can't put simple information on their website and thus require a phone call. Slows my research.

Cats are also awesome when lit on fire and launched from a 'cat'apult. Talk about a screaming flamer! :rolleyes:

4. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

Get a Phoenix!

A few years ago I bought a Phoenix custom apparel /20 2 piece from Dennis Taylor and it has been great. Before that I bought a couple used suits and had them for about a race season each (one Leaf, one Simpson) and the phoenix one is by far the most comfortable. Dennis is great to deal with, we buy all of our safety stuff from him and he will always recert what he sells!

5. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

i'm sorry, maybe i got it all wrong on the name. i thought the new lightweight stuff that Impact started using was called Carbon X when it came out. from what i understand alot of the companies went to the lighter weight stuff, it protects alot better. i saw a demonstration with Bill Simpson on the new material a couple years ago.....i was sold. i saw Bill put a little square of this stuff in his hand and heat it with a torch......CALL around to a few places, then look what most of the guys are wearing. i figure that if the guys with a big bag of $$ are using a certain brand, and can afford anything they want.....it must be ok. sorry for the mix-up.

6. stayinit

stayinit New Member

For an sfi 3.2A/20 suit, the lightest, most comfortable and most important, safest (longest burn protection time), is the Design 500 CarbonX 4 layer.

Even with the CarbonX underwear, which actually helps keep you cooler by wicking perspiration away from your body, the suit is a pleasure to wear throughout the summer.

After thrashing in the pits in the heat, you can sit in staging, helmet on, belted in and not feel overheated or lightheaded.

They have been in business for over 25 years and supply suits throughout the motorsports community.

If this sounds like an endorsement, it's just a very satisfied customer offering a better alternative and a good tip.

They can be reached at (206) 447-9860.

7. rattler

rattler AA/Fuel Altered

fire suits

I had design 500 out of seattle, Wa build me a 20 suit for AA/fuel altered.
    been racing for 46 years in altereds and fc,s, nicest most comfortable liteweight suit I have ever owned. Great service ask for John
    Hope this helps.
    Rattler