fastest times with a roots

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by 8seclx, Feb 8, 2011.

1. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

I was racing against Dale during those times and what impressed me was the FRONT half that car ran! I don't have a log book infront of me but I remember looking at some of his BACK half numbers and thinking" We run that good or better" at that part of the track! His car was the most AGGRESSIVE ANIMAL I had ever seen off the line....wasn't consistent, but if it hooked....LOOK OUT! They were some of the nicest competitors also.......I'll say it again..."I sure miss the good ole IHRA days" Let the bashing begin, Tim

2. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

I agree Tim IHRA days were Great! We were happy to be part of it.

Mark

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Since we are talking about Roots superchargers it appears that a lot of 1/8 mile tracks here in the South and the South East have races where screw blown ProMods are not invited. When it is open invtation to all blown PMs then it is a waste of time bringing the Roots car because you know you can't beat the screw blower car so a lot are staying home.

4. hpwasher

hpwasher New Member

Mike,
    Hmm, thats tough to say! If you look at a roots blower and a PSI they are 2 different animals. I don't own a PSI, only a roots. With a roots blower you can leave around 5500 to hard at 6500 and make great boost off the line. That PSI blower only makes great boost at very high RPM. 7500+ RPM. I talked to the guys who have left IHRA and went to NHRA. When they first started they had to leave around 7000+ RPM to get good 60' because they aren't getting any boost out of the hole. Taking my knowledge, most of the boost and what seperates the roots from the PSI is the second half of the track where the PSI drives around you. So in the 1/8th mile application you may not have that much of a disadvantage. If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me.

5. underby6

underby6 Active Member

What's the all out roots 1/8th mi. record?, screw blower is 3.57.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Hpwasher, sorry but you asked so I will tell you are mistaken. The screw blowers in promods work just great and there is no way a Roots car can compete with it. The Roots are getting better with the M4, M5, CFH and the Critchly blowers but still can't compete. With the addition of traction control the PSI screw blown PMs can put down a lot of power fast as stated by Brandon they are down to a 3.57 ET and several in the 3.60's. When these screw blown Promod monsters are not running in ADRL they want to go to the other smaller events and the Roots cars just don't want to waste the time and money trying to run against them. I haven't seen many screw blown doorcars leaving at 7000+ rpm like a FC because of their full suspension. They still make big boost numbers fast and the air charge is cooler and it takes less horsepower to turn them.

7. Andy C

Andy C Member

3.57 to the 1/8

3.57 to the 1/8... I a ADRL car = No rules and I belive it's @ 2200 lbs... Everything that can be Titanium is or other light weight products about $200k +++ for the roller...

8. hpwasher

hpwasher New Member

Mike,
    I know your still at a distadvantage, I did forget about that tracktion control crap! All this new stuff in drag racing, I'm falling behind and fast. I guess I jumped to a conclusion, the first couple posts were about funny cars. I didn't know you were running a promod. But, that was the problem funny cars were having. They would leave so hard, 50% of the time it was either a great pass or tire shake and pedal. Very inconsistent, but like I said this was when the funny car guys went from the roots to the PSI and I'm sure they have tweaked those problems out. My father grew up with Mike Janis and it seems like those guys try something new every week. I can barely keep up with the news.

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Yea, everybody was talking about FC records and all forgot about the PMs. I need to keep the FC guys straight :rolleyes:(lol) because the unlimited versions of a screw blown PM are catching up with the FCs. I think if you let the FCs go with only safety rules and only in the eighth mile one would see some amazing runs. That traction control is pretty amazing because if the car is set up correctly and close to being right then just dump the clutch and hold:cool:.

Mike Janis is a top notch guy and is real fast.

10. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

3.55 now..

11. Soldierboy0098

Soldierboy0098 Active Member

Uncle Tim

I got your back Uncle Tim...no relation....lol. I still owe you for the awesome deals.....By the way If I forget and raise my arms in victory I'm going to be singing soprano for a while...lol

Trev