Entry fee at divisional events for TAD &TAFC

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by dirty rat, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

I wonder if National Dragster would take an add from TARA exposing this to the rest of the country with a do not race message? The problem is getting the gold and silver card holders to go along with it.I won't run but it is almost worth it to tow there just to stay outside the gate.lets see..recerts..about $1000 per year...seatbelts that Simpson said no more recert $250....firesuits with a buy a new one no matter what yours is to get a tag.$750...change your combination to fit the latest rules$$$...DOT wants their share now for RVs...fire bottle sfi that I still don't understand....chassis recert(like everyone goes home and replaces the tubing w/exhaust pipe)and now $1500 div entry ..after all..like the "official" said to me.."you are a SPORTSMAN CLASS". I guess This drives that message home

2. Brownman

Brownman New Member

The suggestion of a boycott will never work........unless everyone can agree to do it at a selected race event. Each of us can afford to pass on one event if it sends a clear message. As a new TA/FC team, I'm going to pay my way. With all the money we have spent this year,the entry fee is the last of my worries. What concerns me is that this is moving in the wrong direction. You guys are the heavy hitters/the show. Why can't your TARA group select certain events that we all agree not to enter? If a few teams don't show at the local track, the event still goes on. If nobody enters ( like Pre Entry) then what will that mean to Lucas and NHRA. Call me the new guy but that's the solution and even a new guy like me will follow you glory seekers if it earns our ranks the respect we deserve. Brownman ;) (the FNG)

3. Brownman

Brownman New Member

Bruce, I don't know enough about this game to give you advice. I am a business man and this is business. I expect to loose alot of money racing. It's a tax thing for us. I don't have a tractor trailer or even a toter home. But I do expect to get one soon enough. If this level of racing falls apart what are we going to do for a write offs? ( Just kidding!) Like you we will run mostly out of pocket. The answer is plain as I have written...pick some events and set your demands....No free lunch.no racey You have to demonstrate that you have something to bargin for before anyone will bargin for it. It's still business. See it that way and stay in the fight and make it a better place for our families to enjoy this level of racing. YOU ARE THE SHOW!
    Brownman ;)

4. TopAlkyFan1588

TopAlkyFan1588 New Member

How many TA/FC racers would go to IHRA if they changed the blower rules? Just a thought...

5. was R4K

was R4K Member

LIKE MR MULLINS- GONNA LIKELY GO ihra ANYWAY- nhra HAS ALREADY CHANGED THE RULES!

6. Ghost - Kevin

Ghost - Kevin Member

In my years of racing alcohol now, I have met some of the greatest business minds this nation has to offer...as well as great racers in one of the toughest racing categories on the planet...

RJ Smith - Marcon Ent.
    Cy Chesterman - Iowa Coca-Cola
    David Wells - Head Engineer of Blue Bunny Ice Cream Products
    Ted Gord - Ted was into everything!
    Dennis Taylor - Safety products (seems to get bigger every year, I get a discount now, right?)

This list goes on, and on, and on...."hundreds" of successful people at, and away from the track...

That being said...is quiting or boycotts the best we have to offer?....

Or is it time for real action where we create our own business plan for the future and implement that plan...because waiting for someone else to do it doesn't seem to be working now does it???

Sit down with track owners, with our plan, and get them on board. Listen to their concerns and make sure they know ours...but we have to get track owners on board first....

If we control the money, we control the future...that's the way it's always been in business and that's the way it's been in racing...

We can quit, we can bitch, we can boycott, ..or we can get to work...which of those will accomplish more...????

Kevin Hool
    "The Ghost" TAFC
    Gripper Hand Cleaner
    http://www.gripperclean.com

7. was R4K

was R4K Member

Kevin- great idea- I joined TARA for that reason, and look what happened- Thanks to David , I got a souvenir hat! lol ;)
    THANKS DAVID! :D
    thanks TARA :(

8. Brownman

Brownman New Member

Bruce..you don't have to re-invent the wheel. What makes you think that it won't work again? After talking to some guys regarding the IHRA deal.....it is not all that bad. It just seems like a notch lower on the "scrotum pole" I've got to try my luck in NHRA but will look at all options. I'm a little confused in that you should have finished in the top ten of D1, and would then get a free pass. ( reduced fee at least) This new rule should not effect you as much as some of us. ( Am I wrong?) If the field keeps shrinking.....hell.we may just qualify!!! Brownman :eek:

9. timrudy

timrudy New Member

Oh Neil, welcome to the club. I remember when I had your view. Seems so long ago. I don't think we're shortchanging ourselves here. We all believe we have a good entertainment product. Its just that it's not being promoted at all tracks. Some tracks have developed the mindset that this is some entertainment playground for the weekend warrior and that the alcohol classes are part of that ilk. Anybody know an alcohol operation that can be sustained with a weekend's effort? I'm not putting down the effort of the bracket guys, I know bracket is challenging also. But TAD/TAFC is a whole 'nother ballgame. Some, including mine, have full time employees. Nothing good can come of requiring us to be at divisionals and then charging us to get in gold, silver, bronze or otherwise. Wouldn't it be great if we could find a way to market our product directly. We'd probably all have to put something in, but we could share in the profits (or losses). Could we all get along with money involved? If so, I like the idea. I don't think boycots or strikes work. Many racers won't and some can't (sponsor commitments and such) go along with this. I also think it puts forth a bad impression with the fan, who can't possibly identify with our plight. This is a bad policy decision for everyone; fans, NHRA, us and the track owners. No one actually benefits as far as I can see. Personally, I've started calling tracks to see if they charge a fee or not. If not, I pre-enter. I guess this will now be a factor in my schedule. I just can't find it within myself to pay this fee (or tax). I guess I'm not that "eaten-up" yet. Some may call it a boycott, but prefer to think of it as a practical business decision.
    TR

[ January 30, 2004, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Tim Rudy ]