Engine won't run without transmission behind it.

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Money Shot, Sep 16, 2012.

1. underby6

underby6 Active Member

I broke the pilot off of my converter at Indy a few weeks ago. We didn't know this after Q1 and did our between rounds maint.; then fired the car. It was shooting ducks out of two holes and the timing light wouldn't register; sounded like total shit as well. When we shut the car off tranny fluid ran out of the bucket, then we knew we had a problem. I removed the trans/converter, put a new converter in, fired the car up and all was well. I was wondering what would cause this as well, I haven't investigated it any further but if I do and find something of substance I'll post it here.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

2. Nitro Madness

Nitro Madness Super Comp

Not that it answers your question, but we have a Lencodrive...a few years ago we had the trans out for service and also had a local display scheduled the same week - the converter was at Chance for some maintenance....we started the car at the display with no trans and it did start....just ran kinda erratic.....would idle with a small adjustment to the idle speed and barrel valve...I guess it's kinda like starting any engine without a flywheel (we did have an aluminum Reactor flywheel on the engine at the display....just nothing behind it)

3. alt 6153

alt 6153 Member

When you checked timing, did you do it with a buzz box? If so, after finding your timing, go past it and come back at it and see if it reads the same. Had a friend with same type thing going on and found keys in crank were part way sheared. was throwing timing way off.

4. Money Shot

Money Shot Member

Update

Put transmission back in car tonight and it fired right up with no issues. No other changes were made.

Randy