E-Town TAFC Semi-Finals...Alexis vs. Marty

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by PROCOMP1, Jun 15, 2009.

1. GregM784

GregM784 Member

Good news. Very relieved to know all is good.

That chassis belongs in the museum, oh wait, it's being closed down....never mind.

2. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Mount

Contrary to the rumors going around that they left the chute pins or bolts out, that's not the case. From what I understand the chutes pulled the mounting brackets out of the rear end housing. I was told it pulled the bottom out of the housing, then got oil all over the left rear brake, so she effectively had no brakes to stop the car.

Thankfully both drivers were unhurt. The changes made since Scott's passing very well may have saved one, if not two drivers Sunday from very serious injuries or worse.

3. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

Will
    What rear was in Her car?
    So we can all check for something if we need to.

4. Allen Bell

Allen Bell New Member

Mount

Yeah heard that one. Who left the pins out, who packed them? Like they would watch Marty go off the end of the track, sit there for 40 minutes and no one check the parachutes?? The car has an S&W 9 inch, both chutes on one bracket. How both of them tear at the rearend and pull one side of the tab off, opening up the rearend? Thats a good question

5. Barry Ferriolo

If you knew anything about fabrication you would know that it isn't a very good question at all.

6. Allen Bell

Allen Bell New Member

Barry

Maybe I know nothing about fabrication, just wondering why alot of cars are built that way, it tore a whole in the rearend. Guess that is normal. Just curious as to how both chutes shread all shroud lines. And no I am not a seamstress either.

7. Barry Ferriolo

Allen - I didn't mean it as a insult, But when someones' life hangs in the balance of what your fabricating - decisions that are made are critical. Seamstress.... that's a good one. But what if you stayed in a Holliday Inn Express?

8. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

sand

when they played both of those clips, it looked like the sand trap was like concrete. did anyone else see this, or is it just me? it looked like the cars just skipped right across the traps, and hit the nets. i remember seeing old footage of cars going into the sand and the car stopped....pretty quick. what has changed? how can we make these sand traps work better? if there would have been no nets, both drivers would have been in trouble yesterday, especially Alexis. I, as a racer would rather the sand did its job, and not rely on the net as much. i saw alot of bad accidents that resulted from nets. i just think there has to be a better way.....maybe it's just me.
    Darren
    Lean 'er out 5 more!

I'm glad both drivers were able to walk away,But I have to agree..I had the same missfortune at Charlotte last year, but not the benifit of video..I am very gratefull for the new design contaiment as I was able to race the car 3 weeks later, however,I did make the comment to the safety safari that it felt like I skipped across the pea stone like skipping a rock across the water.
    Both these cars appeared to do the same thing!I didn't see any speed scrub off in the "sand".I've been into properly maintained sand trap before and it feels like bigtime braking action.I wonder if the recent rain there didn't make it more of a marbles trap. Hopefully both drivers were interviewed by nhra. I wasn't but these drivers are national contenders and should have some clout on the issue.Their opinions and insight are most valuable on this first hand experience.

9. Kenneth S

Kenneth S Member

I'm glad that they both were able to walk away, Alexis crash was scary.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  10. Allen Bell

Allen Bell New Member

Barry

I didnt take it as an insult. Sometimes I do get to stay at the Holiday Inn Express. I just wanted to throw the question out there because only a handful of chassis shops build these cars. I think everyone should look at their cars in this area.

11. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

Not to completely derail the thread or anything. But isn't that 55 a best ever for A Veney/BNR Combination? Or did Bob himself run a 55? I don't seem to recall.

12. PANMAN

PANMAN Super Comp

BOB WENT 55 AGAINST FRANK @THE GROVE A FEW YEARS BACK AND PAUL GILL WENT 5.498 @260 IN GAINESVILLE 2 YEARS AGO. WE STILL RUN THE VENEY/NEWBERRY DEAL JUST ALITTLE LOST OF LATE.??!! :mad:

13. TAFC325

TAFC325 New Member

One big change is the containment pans. Now once the tires sink into the sand the contaiment pans act as a skid pan

14. centerplugs4life

Has anyone ever seen the foam rubber pits that moto cross racers use when they are learning how to do a back flip. Is it possible to fill the pit out of this stuff it seem to be very soft and I think it would slow the cars down as well. Not to mention it could moved out of the pit in case of rain. Just a thought.

15. Don Hudson

Don Hudson Supa fly

owwwweeeeeee

And when the fire starts the foam....

16. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Hey Don:

Are you running the Div 7 race at Infineon the end of this month?

RG

17. Don Hudson

Don Hudson Supa fly

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, classified info..

Check your PM's