Dry sump help

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by fcsteve69, Jul 24, 2012.

1. fcsteve69

fcsteve69 Nostalgia FC

Vic, this is the problem. I can fill the tank,4.5 gallons warm it, and the tank only has 2 or 3 quarts left when I shut it off.

I spoke with Steve today, he had me check pretty much everything I already had. I borrowed one of his pumps from the Bowens, I'll gave that a try to eliminate my pump being bad.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  2. ITS IN MY BLOOD

Have you checked the pick up tube in the pan for clearence..or maybe the fitting/jamb nut is not sealing and sucking air.....Maybe the return line from pump to Resevoir is too restrictive, or plumbed from the wrong return outlet of pump..????
    Hopefully trying out your friends pump will put a end to the guessing....
    I do know that after our run there is not much left in the resovoir its mostly all in the motor/pan by the time we get back to the pits to drain them both.

Vic

3. fcsteve69

fcsteve69 Nostalgia FC

I'm starting to figure out I'm not going to run this type of system without refilling the tank every run? This is a 7.0 nostalgia car. I'm used to making 4-6 runs before I change the oil.

4. Mark Leigh

Mark Leigh Member

I have heard of some guys using a vacuum setup to connect to the pan in order to transfer the oil back to the tank-----------in Outlaw Fuel Altered group I think ?

5. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

filter

most every fc or dry sump engine i have worked on has the oil filtered going back to the tank. the problem is if you don't filter the oil going back to the tank, you get a bunch of debris in the tank if you hurt it. in a thrash, most teams don't have time to flush the tank properly.

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I totally agree with Will. (That will amaze you guys)

7. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

Make sure the line coming back from the pan holds a vacuum; if the braided hose or the fitting is leaking, nothing will return to the tank

8. fcsteve69

fcsteve69 Nostalgia FC

Will, I am relocating the filter to the tank return line.

Ken, that is something I have not checked.

Thanks

9. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

scavenge lines

to add to that, you need to make sure you have a heavy duty line on scavenge lines. A conventional braided hose will collapse under suction.

10. Chris Murphy

Chris Murphy New Member

Dry sump

We had the exact same problem with a CN billet block a few years ago, after checking everything, it ended up being the block was drilled for Jesel dogbone lifters that bolt into the lifter gallery and it didn't have jesel lifters and the oil was filling the lifter gallery up and it couldn't drain back fast enough to scavenge it.

11. fcsteve69

fcsteve69 Nostalgia FC

This may be a dumb question, how can I tell if the oil does not drain back fast enough?