Dry sump help

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by fcsteve69, Jul 24, 2012.

1. fcsteve69

fcsteve69 Nostalgia FC

I had my car out friday for the first time. 496 TFX an alky. Ran it to the 330, idled the rest of the track. My 18 qt oil tank only had 4 qts left in it. Any thoughts? RCD pump.

2. doug_ta

doug_ta Member

If you have a filter on the oil return to the tank , best you check to make sure it is flowing in the correct direction.

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The question is where is the oil hiding? Is it stuck up in the valve covers or is it laying down in the sump not being pumped back. If you start with a full tank of oil and idle the motor for as long as you can then does the oil return to the tank? If it doesn't return to the tank then try it again with the tank cap removed. Place your hand over the fill hole in the tank and see if the tank is pressurizing. Is this a homemade tank or a store bought oil tank?

Check the oil return holes in the corners of the heads that are used to drain the top of the heads. Are they open oil the way or partially blocked by the head gasket? What size oil restrictor are you using for the oil galery to the rocker arms?

4. Mark Leigh

Mark Leigh Member

Ditto on all ideas so far and to add one is take the filter out that filters the oil going back into the tank. You should have the filter between the tank and the engine oil going into the block.

Just like the typical layout shown on the RCD page--------------

5. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

Many have the same issue with the P&P- RCD pump

6. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Amen to that. Call Steve.

7. fcsteve69

fcsteve69 Nostalgia FC

Thanks for the input. I will give Steve a call. The oil is getting back to the pan. I pulled the covers right after the run and there was not an excessive amount.

8. Mark Leigh

Mark Leigh Member

There never is any left over oil by then--------- that won't tell you anything. If you have a filter between the pump flow back to the tank, and BAD tank design with a small exit tube or a small vent will cause problems too.

If you made a full run and had three qts left in the pan back in the pits you would be in the ballpark.
    The single stage dry sump are NOT going to leave the tank full and the pan empty after a run.

I'm thinking you have one of the above issues in your system ?

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Pulling the covers after a run will not show an excessive amount of oil up there. The oil is held up in the valves covers by the blowby coming up the drain holes in the lower outer corners of the heads and through to the vent hoses on the valve covers. When you shut the motor off the air rushing up those drain holes stop and the oil will drop back down into the pan.

10. fcsteve69

fcsteve69 Nostalgia FC

The filter in line, looped through the pump. -16 from the tank to the pump. -12 returning to the tank from the pump. -8 vent from the top of the tank to the upper frame rail back to the puke tank. McKinney tank next to the fuel tank.

11. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The standard for size from a tank to the pump is a -20 with no -18 fittings/adapters or smaller inline. A -16 is real small supply line for these pumps. The pumps need a lot of oil flow to compress the oil down and raise the pressure. I would highly recommend changing to a -20 supply line. A -20 supply line with a -18 fitting is a -18 supply line a -20 supply line with a -16 adapter fitting is a the same as a -16 line. It is only as good as the smallest opening and acts like a jet. I never like to have a filter on the line from the pump to the block. To much restriction and a possibility of a leak that can get under the tires during a run. I always like to see the filter on the return line from the pump to the tank.

12. ITS IN MY BLOOD

Question Steve,..do you do this

1) fill drysump tank up to certain level mark
    2) warm car up on stands before your run
    3) top off dry sump to above mentioned level mark

????,........or do you just dump all 18qts in at once..??

As Mark mentioned Oil direction and flow of filter,....
    oil to motor.>>>> Dry sump to pump, pump to and threw filter to top of block,.
    oil from motor to dry sump,>>>> From oil pan pick up back to pump,.pump to dry sump.

13. fcsteve69

fcsteve69 Nostalgia FC

Vic, I started with 5 in the pan and 13 in the tank

14. ITS IN MY BLOOD

Starting with X amount of oil in the pan doesnt really do anything, it just leaves the pan to go back to the dry sump. I can see doing this if the pump system was dry, but when you spin for oil pressure you either have oil pressure after 5 to 8 seconds or you dont,.. (if you dont air pocket is between pump/filter/& block, crack open line from filter to block spin motor with line pointing downward, soon as oil is there reattach line and spin again for oil pressure).
    We use 5 gallons for Clints dry sump, never any issues,. and after the run about 3-3.5 gallons drains out of the oil pan, and the rest gets drained out of resevoir, we change our oil after evry run,...
    I would fill your resovoir up to a point that it does not drain off into vent, warm motor up, and then top off resovoir back said level point and your ready to race.

Vic

15. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

-18 ?

Mike; I thought I knew my AN speak pretty well, is this something brand new ?

Bob Meyer
    Meyer Race Cars / San Diego
    2010 Our 45th Anniversary

16. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Sorry Bob. Meant to say a -20 line with a -16 fitting flows the same as a -16 line. Does that sound better. It was test and you were the only one that passed, lol

17. Mark Leigh

Mark Leigh Member

Mike I caught it too but didn't want to cross till I had at least met ya ! LOL:p

18. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

No need to apologize to the ol' guy, I'm just getting more aware of all the stuff I've forgoten, so I think sometimes I miss new things:cool:

I am still wondering about that blue thing next to your name, I figured by now you'd have a pic of some Swedish Billet up there :D:D

19. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Good idea. Time to get rid of big blue. Maybe a picture of a Swedish promod would be good. The Ford PM is long retired. I know Adam Flamholc would probably appreciate it.

20. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

How's that picture. I know it is not a FC but it as a blower on it and uses alcohol.