Don Hudson sighting in Sonoma!

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Russ Parker, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Russ Parker

Russ Parker Member

"This will be Hudson's first attempt of the weekend as he had expired belts in tech yesterday and Miner loaned him his. ...... A really tough way to try to get into the field." (This quote used without permission from DragRaceCentral, I don't understand the plagiarism rulebook).

Nice effort with that one-shot 5.68 to try to get into the quickest divisional TA/FC field of all time. But I gotta know, what the heck happened? (This question is in the form of a multiple choice answer, don't know if that is in the ITA rulebook or not).
    A) Senility
    2) Toss the NHRA tech guy an easy one and hope he doesn't see the cannon attached to the bell housing while you pour nitro in the tank.
    III) Illitturut
    ЧЕТЫРЕ) All of the above

So Don, which is it?:rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  2. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

I choose "B".

3. Don Hudson

Don Hudson Supa fly

stupid is stupid does..

No one to blame but me..

We almost just packed it in and went home, I cannot thank my old friends The Miner Bros, and Greg Miners M-7 Performance enough for helping me out.

4. Russ Parker

Russ Parker Member

Take another look...

No answer is a wrong answer. Was it A), 2), III) or ЧЕТЫРЕ)? You're having a hard time with the rules lately, huh?

5. Don Hudson

Don Hudson Supa fly

Thats why I am self employed, rules are for the "other" guys. I sure showed the tech guys...;)

6. Russ Parker

Russ Parker Member

Where'd he go?

I could have sworn that Randy "B" Goodwin had another post on this thread. He's another one of those guys who have driven their alcohol car back to the pit area - or was that to the head of the staging lanes? Randy, why did you do that?
    A) Senility
    2) To personally thank the track operator for having you there
    III) You thought you were Don Hudson
    ЧЕТЫРЕ) All of the above

Come on Randy, which is it?

7. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

It's "B".

I did drive my TA/FC back to the pits at Bakersfield in 1994 and was chewed out for it by the unamed track manager.

Long story short, I called ahead and asked if we could "contribute" to track prep expenses so we could do some testing. I was assured the track would be prepped to handle it. I arranged flights, rented hotel rooms, made the trip over the Ridge Route and paid the entry fees.

We went up to the starting line before the first (and only) run and found the track was as green as Don Hudson's money clip. I went back to the pits and removed almost all of the counterweight before heading for the staging lanes.

I did my burnout, backed up, pulled forward, prestaged, revved it up, staged, ambers came on and I swapped feet. It blew the tires off, the back end of the car jumped straight up in the air and I caught the motor at about 9,000 RPM. As I got off the gas I was still staring at the Christmas Tree because it didn't go 5 feet.

Trying to remain calm, I cruised it down the track, took the first turn off, took the road past the scales and drove it right to my trailer where I parked it on the carpet, pulled the fuel lever and shut it off.

Before I could open the roof hatch the unamed track manager pulled up in his white pick-up truck and was chewing me out for driving through the pits. I replied in the same tone of voice about my lack of appreciation for being lied to about the track prep and how much it cost me to get there when I could have done the same thing in the street in front of my house for a lot less money. Then he told me he was going to call NHRA and have my licensed pulled but I had a hard time hearing him because two super comp cars were driving by. That's when the guys showed up and opened up the trailer. I tossed him an NHRA rule book and asked him to show me where it says I can't drive my car in the pits.

You sure get a lot of funny looks when you are driving a funny car through the pits.:rolleyes:

RG

8. Russ Parker

Russ Parker Member

OK class...

What have we learned today? That Randy can give an answer within the manner in which the question was framed. However, this does not make him any less likely to drive his blown alcohol racecar back to his pit area. Therefore we can conclude that most people, when participating in a sport they are passionate about, experience frustration in said sport, will react passionately. So the next time you see somebody in this condition at a racetrack near you, cut him or her some slack...unless his name is Don Hudson.:rolleyes:

9. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

...or Danica Patrick.

10. Don Hudson

Don Hudson Supa fly

Enough Russ, I will admit it.

I left my seat belts at Danika Patricks house. ok . Its out.

100 more uses for DT's seat belts..:D

11. pennance

pennance Member

Don

I think that scanerio plays out the same at Dave Smiths track. We went up there and gave them Xtra VHT and they wouldnt put any on the track cause Jr couldnt get the sprayer pump motor running. Go figure a hundred mechanics around and Jr wouldnt let us fix the spray pump motor!

12. Russ Parker

Russ Parker Member

Go Daddy Don!

Hhhhmmmm...

13. Russ Parker

Russ Parker Member

14. Gil Anderson

Gil Anderson New Member

Don,

It's good to know that you're thinking outside of the "box" on ways to still use belts! Next time you won't be caught with your pants down. God knows what you're going to do with the ballistic bag when the certification runs out there. LOL!

15. Don Hudson

Don Hudson Supa fly

Thank you for calling TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAM Eagle Fabrication

Gil,

Only Bret Williamson knows what goes on with my "buck-it"...

I see a calender happening...

16. Barry H

Barry H Member

Russ, I want to be like you when I grow up. You must be doing something right to have all this free time to monitor this site and Facebook..

17. Russ Parker

Russ Parker Member

Mentor for hire

Come on Barry, you know how it is as a shop owner. Kick back at the front counter, bark out orders to the guys in the shop, yell at the parts suppliers (charging too much, deliveries too slow), and collect the money...leaves plenty of time to stir the pot around here.:rolleyes:

18. Barry H

Barry H Member

Don't forget the time to wrap all those pennies!

19. Jim Peters

Jim Peters New Member

Good Day Fishing

Russ Maybee you could help tie some fish hooks for your Father with all that free time. Be careful what you search for on the internet there are a few web sites your wife might not like you to see.:D

20. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 Member

Hey Jim, almost sounds like the voice of experience when you mention going to sites the wife might not appreciate...

Kerry