Detonation

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by bruce boland, May 23, 2016.

1. bruce boland

bruce boland Member

Anyone had issues with detonation to the point where it will beat up spark plugs every 1 or 2 runs.
    One run 2 plugs broke off just above the hex head and blew the wires right out of the tubes and 2 plugs on the other side pushed the centre electrode 1/8 inch up inside the porcelain ,
    Will no ground wires on the cylinder heads cause this on a blown alcohol application,
    Thanks Bruce

2. lucky devil

lucky devil Member

Earth the cylinder heads across to each other , and then down to the frame/chassis. No or little earth WILL crack plugs and drop cylinders. It will be fine in the pits on a warm up and even in a burnout probably but under load on the run it will drop cylinders straight away

3. aj481x

aj481x Member

We suggest you go one step further and ground from there to negative side of coil. We just go head to head to coil.

4. TOL

TOL Active Member

Dumb question, could you just have a bad batch of plugs by chance? Do you have any other signs or indicators to suggest that you actually had "detonation"?

5. bruce boland

bruce boland Member

Dnt think its the plugs, I pulled the plugs from the final on sunday, these plugs were new for the final round, #1,5, 2&6 have the centre post pushed up about .050 inside the porcelain, Same cylinders every time , 2 runs at the most, these are out of the same box of plugs I used last year with no issues,
    Im starting to think its not detonation but more likely a misfire, The first pass it will run good to the end, second pass will start popping around 1000 ft and that's the way the plugs come out. Only change since last year is a new set of MSD wires,
    Got me stumped,

6. TOL

TOL Active Member

What's your firing order, 18436572 or something else? Crossfire perhaps? How old is your cap?

7. bruce boland

bruce boland Member

double swap, cap is still last years.

8. Brent

Brent Member

We had oil in the plastic plug tube and arced out the plug, cracked the porcelain and burnt the tube. We spray electrical cleaner in the tubes now and haven't had any issues since.

9. TOL

TOL Active Member

Did you replace the wires because you were having issues, or just regular maintenance? If you still have the old wires you could always put them back on and see if the problem goes away.

10. bruce boland

bruce boland Member

Changed the wires just as maintenance , I dug out the old wires , still all together with the cap so they are going on.

11. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

That doesn't sound like detonation that sounds more like pre-ignition or random firing of the ignition which is much more violent than detonation. I have seen it occur twice on other cars. Both times it was caused by the crank trigger. One time the crank trigger wire shield was not properly grounded and the other time the crank trigger wire was neatly zip tied too close to the coil wire. If you are using a crank trigger then check the cable to the pickup and make sure the ground wire is good and the cable is run by itself far from the coil wire as you can get or other wires.

12. WIDEOPEN231

WIDEOPEN231 Member

If you have egt;s pull rod bearings for hottest cylinder or one for cylinder with bad plug.If you are hammering the bearing out then you know its detonation if not then I would look at ignition or different type plug.

13. TOL

TOL Active Member

Hmmm. So the cap is different now too in your new combo, since the old wires are "still" connected to the old cap? I tend to think what you have described so far is either crossfire due to a more favorable current path, or crossfire due to bad plug leads. What you are describing is not "detonation". What you are describing is a sudden pressure spike way beyond detonation. More like compression ignition. Have you any evidence of pushed gaskets, or actual detonation?

14. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

What you are describing is what I have seen in random triggering of the ignition system firing due to Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) caused by the high voltage ignition system. This has been going on for years with the MSD system and is more common with crank triggers. Looks like pre-ignition or cross fire.

15. bruce boland

bruce boland Member

Checked the brgs today and # 1 is the worst, Pounded the top about .020 , Took out pistons and #1 pin end is oval,,
    Ran new grounds from heads to chassis to coil, Changed mag, coil, points box, crank trigger and harness, wires and grid, Also removed the kill switch and going to use the 12 volt switch for the grid as my kill,
    Keeping fingers crossed.

16. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Shutting off the Grid works just fine. Make sure the crank trigger ground is a good ground and make sure the crank trigger cable is kept away from the coil wire. Also make sure that cable that connects the crank trigger to the Grid is kept away from plug wires.

17. bruce boland

bruce boland Member

Thanks Mike
    I have rerouted the the crank trigger harness away from the coil wire, I did have the 2 loosely zip tied together, Also ran the harness to the grid totally separate from all other wiring. Moved the crank trigger ground from the motor plate to the chassis stud.

18. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Check pistons for cracks. Bad ignition problems are ugly on parts!

19. bruce boland

bruce boland Member

Hi Will
    I took a good look at the pistons , everything looks good , Put in a new set of rods..

20. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

If the two were loosely tied together then that most likely was the problem. The amplitude of the actual crank trigger pulse is real low so an RFI noise spike picked up through the trigger cable looks like a firing pulse and triggers the ignition. This random firing of the ignition can look like pre-ignition or detonation and is really violent. Hope it fixes it.