Darien Testing

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Doug Watt, Jan 19, 2005.

1. The Zone

The Zone Member

Dean Adams, thanks for that little lesson. (The Calibration part. What you said there makes absolute sense to me now).

Dean

2. mike w.

mike w. TAFC

So why does everbody think 96% made such a huge diifference in performance and what do you think would fix it?

3. The Zone

The Zone Member

I'm not all that convinced it would not of worked. I think a bit more testing at an elevation less than 1500 (Like Phoenix) would of help.

Oh ya, Ashley went 5.37 today, that is the fifth quickest TAD run in track history, and the third quickest A/Fuel pass there.

Dean

4. Hokes Racing

Hokes Racing Moderator

Well it didnot take them long to get the 98% to work Ashley Force Runs 5.376/262.64, Now #1; Best prior run: 5.424/259.76, Was #2 at CHANDLER, Ariz looks like another change coming

Lanny

5. Doug Watt

Doug Watt AFD

"I think a bit more testing at an elevation less than 1500 (Like Phoenix) would of help."

Why does everyone think that just because Darien/Force can run a 5.37 that every Afueler can? They have made over 35 passes, How much do you think that cost? And how many other Afuelers can afford to even make 5 test runs? I haven't seen any Alky dragsters testing, Why because they don't have to, they allready have there tune up from last year and the year before and so on... And they think NHRA well take care of them by changing the rules again. I don't think so...

6. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Last year (2004) Ashley made well over 200 runs in competetion plus who knows how many testing runs. Most a-fuel cars would take years to acumulate that kind of data not to mention a budjet that allows for engine parts or tuneup change at will. Not many cars in the TAD class either blown or injected have these kind of resources. I watched at least 50 of the competetion runs they made last year and never saw a dropped cyl. No matter how much money there is Darien is a genius with this car and Ashley has done a remarkable job of driving. With cars in a sportsman class like we have the benchmark has been set pretty high regaurdless of which type of car. How would you like to have Darriens computer and notes???

7. Doug Watt

Doug Watt AFD

"Darien a genius" I wouldn't go that far, but he has allways been a good tuner going back to his Alky days, and yes I would like to get my hands on his computor and notes... Are you offering? LOL
    but most of all I would like to have his resourse's ie: $$$ and the Force brain trust...

8. Kosmo

Kosmo tad

Look, Ashley is from California. They just had some major flooding there. Nobody can help it if they went to Vegas and brought the "sand bags" with them. If top feul took a reduction and blistered all the record books this year, Why would you think certian resorses couldn't do the same for Darien/Forces car? Maybe it is a bigger force than bad/afd that is whinning to nhra.

9. Kosmo

Kosmo tad

Sorry Ronnie, I had to.

10. Mark Albert

Mark Albert New Member

WHAT A JOKE .

11. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

You guys keep talking like Force & Darien are the fastest AF/D, when they came into this season only being the 4th or 5th fastest.

12. Doug Watt

Doug Watt AFD

Marty,
    That was last year... Who is faster this year: Myers gone, Gunnerson gone, Lucas's dragster no, Shields no. I would think right now they would be the benchmark.

Doug

13. scott hall

scott hall Member

Webster saids:

Parity

n. pl. par·i·ties

1.Equality, as in amount, status, or value.

2.Functional equivalence, as in the weaponry or military strength of adversaries: "A problem that has troubled the U.S.-Soviet relationship from the beginning has been the issue of parity" (Charles William Maynes).

3.The equivalent in value of a sum of money expressed in terms of a different currency at a fixed official rate of exchange.

4.Equality of prices of goods or securities in two different markets.

5.A level for farm-product prices maintained by governmental support and intended to give farmers the same purchasing power they had during a chosen base period.

I think the B/AD and the A/FD fall into the #2 and #5 definitions!
    :D

14. azspeedfreak

azspeedfreak New Member

hey marty i wonder what will happen if you bring your what is it 5.27 car back out and dominate what the idiots in glendora would do???.as of now ashley is the fastest one left from last year since mitch and micheal are done, heck im thinkin bout going over to norms shop and order a new psi!!???????

15. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

I'd sure like to know what Formula NHRA plans to use to moderate performance? Are they going to average the Top 5 passes for Both Combo's???

16. dmwells

dmwells New Member

Better hurry and order that PSI they are selling fast!

Dave

17. Doug Watt

Doug Watt AFD

This is from Bob Frey's "did you know"...

"The 98% nitro rule seemed to help the A/F cars in Phoenix and it looks like that may bring the two types of alcohol dragsters closer together this year. Ashley ran a 5.37 this past weekend while the rookie, Aaron Olivarez, in the former Morgan Lucas car, made a strong 5.42 run while Jon Capps, Ron's brother, wheeled Darrell Hitchman's car to a 5.61 pass. As I always say, I'm not a mechanical kind of guy but it's amazing what two percent can do to one of those nitro engines, isn't it? At 96% they couldn't get out of their own way while at 98% they seem to run a lot better, and, given time, I'm sure the tuners of the A/Fuel cars will get them running even better yet. Let's hope for a good, competitive year in the alcohol dragster ranks this season. Can't we all just get along?"

I think he kind of sums it up...

Doug