Danny Townsend??

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by hemi altered 378, Sep 24, 2006.

1. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

anyone heard how he is doing? i heard that be hit both walls at Columbus in the finals. they said he was air lifted to Ohio State University Hospitial for treatment. i sure hope that he is ok, and that this was just a precaution or something.

2. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

haven't heard anything, so i am keeping my fingers crossed. danny is a legend and the parkers are good as gold. if anyone hears anything please pass it along.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  3. D. Palmer

D. Palmer TA/FC

I too hope Danny's ok, sounded pretty serious from DRC's account. It's too bad Todd Veney has to get a win like this (think this is his first), especially after taking out Frank in the semi final and having the quicker car going into the final round.

4. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

I called OSU and Danny is in the surgical ICU unit. No details on extent of injuries running a lot of tests. I spoke with Cindy & she is going to call back & give me an update when available.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  5. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

I just spoke with the Parker Family Racing Team and it appears Danny is going to be OK.
    No major injuries, broken bones etc.
    Some scrapes, bruises and I'm sure he is going to be plenty sore for awhile.
    Thank the Lord nothing major is wrong.

Get well soon Danny!!!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  6. TAD529

TAD529 Member

What happened? Did he hit the wall(s) after the finish line? Loose a tire in the lights maybe...Hope he's ok.

7. madcow

madcow Member

good to hear that there are no serious injuries.

8. JBJ

JBJ Member

Townsend got out of shape and he hit the wall hard at about 500 feet. It looked as though his throttle stuck, because sparks were flying all the way down the track and through the length of the shutdown area. He hit the right wall several times and crossed both lanes and hit the left wall in the shutdown area. The car was still traveling at 127 miles per hour when it crossed the finish line.

A Grant Life Flight helicopter was brought in and Townsend has been taken to Ohio State University Hospital for treatment.

9. sarbear0130

sarbear0130 New Member

yes danny will be ok...

hello... im the niece of frank parker and grandchild of dan parker... so i have been informed throughout the way of the accident... and yes he will be ok... nothing major like what was said before... but he has short term memory loss. which will most likely go away.

frank will be posting shortly what happened, so keep an eye out for it. thank you for everyone concerned!! it means a lot... and keep him in your prayers for a full recovery!!

~sarah

10. yellowbullet

yellowbullet New Member

Thanks for the Info.

11. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

Good News.

He is one of the best!

12. Dan Martin

Dan Martin New Member

We (Jeff Burnett's team) were parked right next to Danny and the Parker team at columbus. When we left the track, they were just warming up the car for 2nd round, and we went over and shook hands with everybody and wished them good luck. We heard about Danny's crash as we were driving home and were totally devastated and shocked by this news. I am so glad to hear that he is doing ok. Danny, Frank, and the whole gang are some of the nicest and hardest working guys you'll ever meet. I wish Danny a speedy recovery and send best regards to Frank and everybody on the team.

13. David Smith

David Smith Member

Glad to hear Danny is going to be ok.

14. Cincy cares

Cincy cares New Member

Cincy Cares

How is Danny doing today.......has he been moved from ICU yet?
    We are all thinking and wishing him a full recovery in Cincinnati

15. Bumpy55

Bumpy55 Member

I have been talking to Chuck Cheeseman several times a day the last 2 days. Danny is now sitting up in a chair and talking. He recognizes and knows people by name. They removed the neck brace today, but the soreness has set in and he is pretty stiff. Chuck thought they would move him to a regular room late today and hold onto him for a couple of more days.A special "Thank You !" to Chuck and Joyce for keeping all Dannys freind up to date on his progress.:)

16. HEMIdude

HEMIdude New Member

Having crewed for Danny and the Parkers in 04 and 05, I took the news of the crash like a punch to the chest. I talked to Frank a few hours ago and Danny will indeed make a full recovery. He also said he and his father, Dan, have received over 450 calls from so many people showing their concern and offering support. Frank greatly appreciates this and also mentioned some of the calls were from pro drivers. Danny's one of the best. Let's hope he doesn't lose his desire to drive again... but who could blame him if he did?

17. Tom Cunningham

Tom Cunningham New Member

Update from Frank Parker

Frank asked me to post this release. Will is sending it out to the media for him.
    VIPsports - Danny Townsend Update
    Milford, Michigan. September 27, 2006. Top Alcohol Funny Car, driver Danny Townsend is recovering from a final round accident at the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Race Series event in Columbus, Ohio this past Sunday. The seven time Division 3 champion was knocked unconscious after hitting the right side retaining wall at the 330 foot mark. From its right lane position, the car crossed over into the opposite lane, hitting the left side concrete wall. At that point the throttle fully reopened sending the car into the shutdown area. With Townsend still unconscious, the car continued at speed into the top end sand and catch net.
    Danny regained consciousness as he was being attended to by the National Trail Raceway and Division 3 safety crews and the Hebron Fire Department. He was stabilized and carefully moved to the MedFlight helicopter for transport to The Ohio State University Medical Center Intensive Care Unit. Townsend remains in stable condition and has been moved out of ICU to a private room. He is periodically being moved to a chair. Danny is very sore, but has no broken bones. Doctors caution that the healing process may be very slow. In time, a full recovery is expected.
    Clearly, the design and construction of the Murf McKinney built Dodge kept Danny from suffering much more serious injuries.
    Frank Parker and the VIPsports/ParkerTech Racing Services team thank all who helped at the end of the track, packing up in the pits and at the hospital.
    Special thanks to Danny’s great friends Chuck and Joyce Cheeseman. They along with Dan and Cindy Parker have stayed by his side night and day since the accident. Thank God for the blessing of having Glenn and Linda Kreider of Racers For Christ as our Division 3 Chaplains. They brought comfort when Danny, his team and friends needed them most.
    Frank is also thankful for the outpouring of support in the days following the accident. Danny has made many friends in his 30+ years of racing.
    Weekly updates will be sent out by the VIPsports team. Please do not call or send anything to the hospital.
    Cards and well wishes can be sent to:
    ParkerTech Racing Services
    1447 Orban Road
    Milford, Michigan 48380

18. Bumpy55

Bumpy55 Member

I was able to get over to Columbus to see Danny tonight. They have moved him into the Dodd Rehabilitation Center at OSU Hospital. He is making progress eveyday. I had talked to him on the phone this morning and I could tell a differance in his speech when I saw him tonight. He is eating like they had starved him for days. Dan and Cindy continue to take good care of him along with Chuck and Joyce. Many Thanks to all of them. Danny is lucky to have such good freinds. With the weekend coming Im sure many more freinds will be in to see him.:)

19. Dan Lynch

Dan Lynch Member

How is Danny doing?

20. Kurt - Prostart Race Cars

I don't know but I see a Townsend racing an Altered in Comp, son?