Current Wisdom on Tires ?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by OzAlky, Jan 31, 2006.

1. OzAlky

OzAlky Member

What are everyone's thoughts on current Alcohol tyre choices, and how they relate to different track conditions ?
    Has everyone gone with the 34.5" Goodyears ?

2. Mark Billington

Yes, the Goodyears are your best bet...especially on a budget. They last longer, are a bit taller, and are more consistent. The Hoosier hooks like crazy but is dead after about 8 runs. GY lasts 20

3. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

Make mine Hoosier !

I hate to argue with Mark, but we have continually re-evaluated which tires we want to run on our BA/D, and I still think the Hoosier is the best choice. They don't give up, like the other tire brands, and we have ran them as long as 26 runs (although I usually change them around 15). Hoosier has about 4 different 34.5" tire choices, because all combos are not the same, instead of putting one tire out there and saying "like it or not". I also like to deal with companies that strive to please us little guys. While I feel one of the other tire companies tries to arrange their business with the sanctioning body, and will take whatever low end money happens to come in.
    I guess the main point is the stats. How many races (on a blown alcohol combo) has Hoosier won compared to the other 2 tires combined.

Good luck,
    Marty

4. John Haley

John Haley Alcohol Dragster

I have 35 runs on the set on my car now they would go a few more but i'm gonna put a new set on. another set i ran for 40 runs with out any problems.

5. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

I have run the Hoosiers, and like how they hook, but I can only get 12 or so good runs out of them. I found that the Goodyear's required a trans ratio change to make them work; I wasn't too impressed. I really like the Mickey Thompsons on beadlock rims; I consistently get 20 plus runs out of them and they hook hard, and so far haven't been shaking.

6. topalky511

topalky511 Member

has anyone got any experience with the new 36" m/t i was told they were in testing stages and were only given to certain people, they help with shake a lot as far as i know, and does anyone know when they will be available to the public?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  7. nick bell

nick bell TAFC

use the round ones they roll better.....sorry been a long day couldnt resist

8. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Tires

I like the round tire idea, maybe that is why I have been shaking my fillings out for the last two years? It almost seems like I have had square tires with all the shake. I don't want the secret squirrel tuning techniques but I would love to hear some ideas to minimize the damn shake before I have a stroke. Dave Germain

9. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

2055 vs 2050

i shook my brains out in licensing with the 2050 hoosier, as did lee callaway who i was working with. we both switched to the new 2055 hoosier, smooth as silk. i have no clue as to what they did different, but whatever that extra 5 on the number did made me happy! i didn't know an alky fc could be that smooth.

people have had good luck out of both the goodyear and the mickey's. they are both a looser tire. so then it falls back to your tuneup and chassis. if you have all the wheelspeed you need in low, then hoosier is probably the tire for you. if a looser tire to get a controlled spin is what you're looking for, then the goodyears or mickey's may be up your alley.

we have a set of MH racemaster's new 34.5's but have yet to make a run with them.

10. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

i have to agree with mark on goodyears as for a funnycar. the hoosier seems to have a smaller window for clutch settings on the starting line. i can get after the clutch harder and the 60 foot e.t.'s are faster and more consistant.

11. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

We tried the 1022's but only for 6 runs, there is a big difference on set up in our car. We achieved the same et results with the 1022 , with less shaft speed but we still prefer the Hoosier. the hoosier setup with goodyears on and we blow 'em right off!

12. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

Dave check your PM on this board

13. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

converter

we're the oddballs with the converter. we need all the tire we can get in low gear...

14. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

come on will , i thought oddballs ran roots blowers?

15. bmoore

bmoore Member

You wanna talk oddball...

We still like the Mickeys on beadlocks, is that oddball?

16. aj481x

aj481x Member

M/T, beadlocks, 5.75 psi and I'm a happy guy.

17. bmoore

bmoore Member

MT's

Anyone out there sure or convinced that MT's will cost you some top end mph?

18. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Ima Tard

Vic spent half the season last year trying to tell me we needed some tire spin. I came from the super comp ranks where the goal is zero tire spin and now apparently I want some tire spin? Vic tried to tell me but I didn't really listen. I owe him an apology and a thanks to everybody who has had some input. It sounds like one of my biggest issues is not near enough tire speed. I only ran 5.25 in the tires and I am sure that didn't help either. Maybe I should check my learning curve on the racepak? I bet is is almost flat. Dave

19. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

bmoore,

I myself love the M/T's on beadlocks, but yes I do think that it does cost some MPH. We were "scrubbing" a pile of new tires for Bucky for 3 races this past season, his being Hoosier's with tube/liner wheels and we ran about 3 - 5 MPH faster with the Hoosier's than the M/T's on beadlocks. The big reason for us that we stick with the M/T tires is that they're lighter, and for us they seem to go twice as many funs as the Hoosier's.

20. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

Question?

If using bead lock wheels, don't they hinder tire growth on the big end?
    Because of the way the bead is clamped to the rim?

Thanks
    Bob Kraemer