Curious how the T.A.R.A. meeting went?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Dragster503, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

Hey Dale, my wife tells me I'm wacked out all the time! Listen I just want the blown guys to have a chance, I don't think NHRA has that attitude. :confused:

2. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

Lee Calloway, you don't think a 500 CI motor and 125% blower will make a difference?? That's what I suggested to level the field, you think NHRA will continue to just keep adding weight to the A-Fuel guys?

3. robert

robert New Member

to add weight isnt the answer at all take some nitro will help

4. Dan Lucas

Dan Lucas New Member

Thanks for the efforts of the committee. I think this is the first time that the alcohol/A-Fuel racers have actually had a chance to be represented in an open forum environment. I think in the past it has been a closed forum with NHRA wearing blinders. It is obvious that the parity issue has never been thoroughly addressed by those who know and understand the two types of cars.
    NHRA's solution of adding weight to the A-Fuel cars, in my opinion, was wrong from a safety standpoint as well as the proven fact that the fuel car run better under a load.I donot think these pasted changes came from advice from racers.
    I feel the parity issue can be resolved by adding cubic inches and increasing blower overdrive to the blown cars.
    As far as cost - rods, pistons & cranks are replaced regularly by most of the top teams.
    So finding a new fuel system would be the main issue for them. The 500 cu. in. limit and the 125% overdrive would be my choice. I ran one with the roots years ago. The 500 cu.in.motor can be achieved with the cut blocks,(4.375 bore x 4.150 crank)- but how much of a performance value it would be - I do not know.(short rod and rod angle problems) I do think its' time to leave the A/F cars alone and try to bring the TAD cars to match them. I would think the only A/F change might be to get the weigh back down for safety reasons.
    Thanks for your time
    Dan TAD 267

5. David Smith

David Smith Member

6. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

Damn.....what a picture!

7. ROF

ROF Top Dragster

Why don't they just increase the OD to 125 and let um rip. Drazy would have to get the SFI redone but I would think his blower would pass. Wouldn't this speed them up. The only cost would be for new pulleys and maybe a two speed. I think the A/fuel guys have spent enough. Do you not think its time for the blower guys to dig into their wallets.

Blowerlady what is your thoughts on this?

[ September 15, 2004, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: ROF ]

8. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

ROF, I have heard(?) that 125% on a 452 blown motor can do a lot of internal damage. I know it would be hard to keep that Burst panel on it.

9. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

why not just change the nitro percentage until they become equal or as close as possible
    then nobody has to spend any more money chasing the "part of the month"

10. nick bell

nick bell TAFC

john that makes way too much sense from a cost and effectivness standpoint that they would never do it...its too easy they will find the hardest most costly way to do it...they always have.

11. ROF

ROF Top Dragster

I think NHRA is bucking the lowering of the %. Reason is because of the cost to buy 7 fuel testers. I could be wrong on this but I beleive the testers are around $2500 x 7 = $17,500 expense for NHRA. Don't think they will step up to that one. But they don't care if a team has to spend that much money when they change a rule.

Danny, couldn't they go bigger pumps more fuel.

12. Dragster503

Dragster503 Dragster

Any more info on this or about the meeting?

13. Smokey

Smokey New Member

You people who keep saying how simple it would be to just reduce the nitro percentage have no idea what you are talking about. Reducing the percentage can be circumvented by matching the pounds per hour of nitro @ the lower percentage to what it was @ 98%. Minor engine changes and they will still dominate. In fact....they may become more consistent!

14. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

Smokey, rducing the Max to 98% would be a waste, more like 92%-94%? That will knock a tenth off them in a hurry.

15. nick bell

nick bell TAFC

Dumb question.....would i be possible to mandate a spec fuel pump so that if say the nitro percentage were reduced you wouldnt be able to just turn up the pump and flow more fuel? I know this may not be the answer I am just curious thats all.

16. 400lb Gorilla

400lb Gorilla Super Comp

Instead of mandating spec pumps and then constantly changing those specs each year, a better solution might be to use adjustable flow control valves...imnsho.....

...KISS Army.....

17. rpmhiperf

rpmhiperf Blown Alcohol

Hey, I thought this was the TARA thread. Is there no news? Or is it just time (after Indy) to stick a fork in the blown cars?

18. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

the way things look at dallas with 13 of 16 cars running fuel i think nhra won't have to change the rules, seems like the class is doing it to themselves.

19. rpmhiperf

rpmhiperf Blown Alcohol

good point

20. Dragster503

Dragster503 Dragster

With Wells winning Chicago, will this have an affect on what changes (if any) NHRA will make to the class?